Crap

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Crap

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:14 am

sarge wrote:Whoever makes something useful, we’ll buy.

True. Blind brand loyalty is a rarity in 2 rail O scale.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:18 am

robert. wrote:This horse leg to stand on. :lol: I find it amazing any manufacture can make and sell a new product in o scale. I'd wager there is more product on the secondary market than anybody can handle.

I would speculate that less than 1% of all prototypes have ever been produced as models so there's plenty of truly new that could be produced. We have for better than 80 years been treated to endless re-runs and re-invention of the same.........

I can tell you from personal experience. Getting a product out of Asia right now is very difficult. This will be the second spring and summer seasons with no new shipments for us. Our manufactures have moved to made to order. With almost no stock inventory to fill orders. They also have no warm bodies to make inventory. Asia has a real production problem.

That is a very real and different problem that might spur (I'll stay with the horsey theme....) a change in everything. But it won't be any time soon.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:40 am

While being retired means that one has less time remaining, it definitely has its advantages. I am delighted that Sarge is no longer constrained to stifle opinions.
We can of course throw darts at the major players for acting like unconstrained monopolies, but didn't Mike Wolf single-handedly upset the Lionel stranglehold on toy trains? We have no more entrepreneurs with the savvy that Mike brought to the business?
Roger alludes to the OGR threads bemoaning the lack of whatever it is that posters think Sunset or Lionel or MTH ought to be doing. I always stick my nose in there with the "wow-what an opportunity - an underserved market!" comment.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:07 pm

bob turner wrote:I always stick my nose in there with the "wow-what an opportunity - an underserved market!" comment.

I have made a similar statement many times and found it draws no response at all. I filed doing that under wasting time and irritating electrons both.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:17 pm

I agree with Bob and Rufus.
I
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:40 am

Roger, Ruf, and Bob.

If the price for venturing an opinion on “your” MTJ about the market events automatically is a requirement I invest my wherewithal to produce what I espouse otherwise keep my mouth shut, so be it. I (and several others who were here) have already invested more than enough in the scale over the years, thank you very much, so this time I’ll go with the latter (admittedly the more difficult course for me).
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 am

sarge wrote:Roger, Ruf, and Bob.

If the price for venturing an opinion on “your” MTJ about the market events automatically is a requirement I invest my wherewithal to produce what I espouse otherwise keep my mouth shut, so be it. I (and several others who were here) have already invested more than enough in the scale over the years, thank you very much, so this time I’ll go with the latter (admittedly the more difficult course for me).

HUH? WHAT? Not mine by any means and your opimion is ALWAYS welcome. In my opinion.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:47 am

rogruth wrote:
sarge wrote:Roger, Ruf, and Bob.

HUH? WHAT? Not mine by any means and your opimion is ALWAYS welcome. In my opinion.

ImageImageImageImageImage

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:56 am

bob turner wrote:While being retired means that one has less time remaining, it definitely has its advantages. I am delighted that Sarge is no longer constrained to stifle opinions.
We can of course throw darts at the major players for acting like unconstrained monopolies, but didn't Mike Wolf single-handedly upset the Lionel stranglehold on toy trains? We have no more entrepreneurs with the savvy that Mike brought to the business?
Roger alludes to the OGR threads bemoaning the lack of whatever it is that posters think Sunset or Lionel or MTH ought to be doing. I always stick my nose in there with the "wow-what an opportunity - an underserved market!" comment.

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:I always stick my nose in there with the "wow-what an opportunity - an underserved market!" comment.

I have made a similar statement many times and found it draws no response at all. I filed doing that under wasting time and irritating electrons both.

rogruth wrote:I agree with Bob and Rufus.
I

Sorry. I’m reading a distinct “if you don’t like it, put your money where your mouth is” dismissal for anyone speaking against the importing status quo between Bob and Ruf, with Roger agreeing.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 am

You're looking for something that's not there as I tend to agree with you regarding the rubbish that has been acquired and that others are celebrating.

I have doubts that any of it will see these shores any time soon either.

It's all a terrible distraction from 2 rail ......

As for money where the mouth is - that was referring to the gits over on OGR wanting whatever is totally unrealistic terms of entitlement.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:36 am

Yeah, Sarge. You are getting too sensitive. Of course opinions are welcome - and surely so are opposing opinions.

What gets my goat, and maybe others (see above) are those folks who are simply incensed that a certain manufacturer will not produce exactly what they want. Say, a full scale TMCC equipped D & H water tube Consolidation, or maybe a shelf coupler.

You have a point. I admit to beint the token Liberal wherever I hang out, but I also believe a free market (constrained, of course, by necessary regulation) is the best way forward. That means if MTH or Atlas wishes to flood the market with plastic junk, to our great disadvantage quality-wise, then they ought to be allowed to do so.

And we ought to be able to publicly complain about it. Or not.

Opinion.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:02 pm

sarge wrote:Sorry. I’m reading a distinct “if you don’t like it, put your money where your mouth is” dismissal for anyone speaking against the importing status quo

Sarge, first of all, it's great to see you back and posting again. I'm unable to search your posting history right now, but I thought you hadn't posted for a few months.

Second, I think the posters you responded to were actually paraphrasing posts over on NK.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Could be, Chris, and I’ll give it to them, though clarity obviates misinterpretation.

Bob, “sensitive” isn’t the right word. “Sensitised” is a more accurate choice. Why I avoid social media...

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Often on some forums there will be a topic concerning what some company will offer for sale in there next catalog.
It seemed to me that MTH may have been the only one that may have paid any attention to those comments.
If I recall 3rd Rail has asked what buyers are interested in but I don't remember Atlas, Lionel or Williams ever asking.
This is what I was referring to in an earlier post. I get the impression that if Atlas does MTH stuff some think they
will have input. If Atlas paid attention to consumer wants they may have made more steam engines.
I have no influence with importers/manufacturers but a dealer that has orders for a large amount of a product may.
There do seem to be many in this hobby that have large amounts of money to spend on it and do commit in advance.
I am not in that position and m not able to set large amounts aside for trains. To me most items in the latest Lionel
catalog involve large amounts of money so I only see them in catalogs and on dealers shelves.

I agreed with Bob and Rufus earlier but did not mean to upset Sarge. Maybe I just don't understand.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:46 pm

rogruth wrote:Maybe I just don't understand.

I know I don't, Roger, and I'm done with this...

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”