Hmmmmmm..........

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
herronpeter

Hmmmmmm..........

Postby herronpeter » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 pm

This doesn’t look quite right to me. If there is a prototype out there it is one BUFF!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254877921196

Peter

bob turner

Re: Hmmmmmm..........

Postby bob turner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Texas & Pacific 2-10-4. A real one still exists. This is not a bad attempt at re-creating one, but not anywhere near what I would pay several hundred bucks for. Not a single All Nation part in sight. Not one.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:31 pm

And maybe un-insulated for two-rail, it is hard to tell. I am basing a little of my observation that the motor appears to be a wound-field K&D #3(?).

prrjim

Postby prrjim » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Series wound motor does not imply uninsulated drivers. Series wound motors were quite common into the 50s for both AC and DC running. I have a Hines Mike that came with one. I replaced it with a permag motor to simplify wiring, but it ran fine with a travis reverse switch. It is two rail and now converted to DCC

As for this "All National" lines loco, I don't think it is a very good job for what we expect today. it is pretty crude. It looks like quite a project to add a trailing truck. And I noticed in the photos that the pilot appears to be canted toward the fireman's side. Maybe the builder wanted to swivel for tight curves. Or just maybe it is badly bent or the frame is bent.

All in all, I didn't even see any parts I might want. It is definitely not worth the asking price to me.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Agree with all that except the trailing truck - Mr. Poplar has the correct sand castings, although they might be the shorter version. And it is articulating, as in no tail beam, and the tender hooks to it.

No, I would not tackle this one for restoration, although one might check out the boiler contour. If correct you have easily a $50-60 start point. Boilers are tough to do.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”