Doorstop Electrics

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Doorstop Electrics

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:59 pm

Those are they - the ones on the Wolfer. I like the heavier ones on your Penn Erie, but the Wolfers are more prototypically lacey. Plus, now I see where the springs go.

Truck sideframes are an issue - the Wolfers did not accompany any of the patterns that went to Stevenson. Mine are cobbled together, and need springs, but they will do for a doorstop.

Is it possible that your Penn Erie came from John Dill? He had a body in just about that condition.

I may wimp out and install handrails like those on the Penn Erie. I had drilled for a 90 degree entry at the bottom of the walkway rail, so they would look prototypical, but I would think they would be unacceptably weak.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:18 pm

Photo of Faiveley on OGR. Too much like work to move it to Shutterfly. Nobody needs a link, right?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:46 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:37 am

bob turner wrote:Photo of Faiveley on OGR. Too much like work to move it to Shutterfly. Nobody needs a link, right?

You could have added one in the time it took you to type that last line.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:22 pm

True, but Martin fixed it. And I got two responses - a record these days, for model train related threads.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:18 am

bob turner wrote:So I shall start off with what I now know to be a Jack Collier bronze body. the trucks are Ed Alexander, purchased from him in person at his Yardley Pa estate. I also now know that Jack sort of blew it with the ends and notches, and can now appreciate what the owner of my Collier body did before he gave it to Dan Henon. I traded an Egolf Pullman to Dan for the body.

Last edited by E7 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 am

bob turner wrote:Two shots of Carey's "Jack Collier" GG1. I made the trucks to match the blueprints, and they turned out to be 1/4" too long. So in between sneezing attacks, they have been shortened. Look much better.

A nose only a mother could love

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:29 am

I put those last two posts back to back because the models are attributed to the same guy, one Jack Collier. Jack really came a long way......or was there a "streamlined GG1 out there??? :shock:

Not claiming I could have done better! I would have called the upper one an Alexander.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:41 am

The upper one has had a bit of bondo applied to the notches, raising them and rounding out the inner crease. Also, there is a significant amount of bronze in the ends - Carey's casting has had the top of the nose seriously rounded off. Whoever had mine before me (and before Dan Henon) had tapered the noses on the sides to the point where the bronze was only 3/32" thick in places. So my guess is they are the same casting, just worked over differently.

Good eye - the truck side frames are Alexander - I got them from Ed at his place in Yardley.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:12 pm

If someone made the top one from one like the bottom one, I'd call it a "Mandrake".

Several years back on one of my sorties to the York TCA, Ed Duddy had a thick (3/8") one piece aluminum body GG1 body which I thought he called an Alexander. It was a fair facsimile of the correct GG1 shape. He also had the E44's running from catenary on a small loop. He said they would also run from track power.

That's how I remember it, but it was a very long time ago. I spoke with Ed there on two different occasions. Ed was out of Creve Couer, MO by that time.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:01 pm

Okay. I bees mandrake. My casting had not been rounded near where the headlights are, so that made it easier.

Ed made several versions, and of course one could pour aluminum or brass/bronze in the sand. The final Duddy model used Ed's last pattern and Wolfer trucks. Ed's very first versions had slant noses, kinda like the E6.

There was also the Baldwin GG1 - that one had the air intakes and whiskers cast in. Best of the lot, as far as I am concerned. I fill the whiskers with Bondo.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:48 pm

So, I've got this all aluminum House of Duddy GG-1 shell only. Since I've acquired it years ago, I've only once seen a drivetrain available for it. Any help available for it? I'm thinking about taking it along with the rest of my scrap aluminum to the recycle facility. :) :)

Dan Weinhold

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Contact Bob Stevenson at Stevenson Preservation Lines. I think he has the Duddy/Wolfer trucks.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:37 am

Bob, thank you!

Dan Weinhold

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”