DD40 thread
DD40 thread
I thought there was a thread about a PSC DD40 several years ago but can't seem to find it. Rich thought it was 2railjon who started it, buy my searches have come up zilch.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42164
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: DD40 thread
Probably a purge victim....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: DD40 thread
Very interesting thread that cover a lot of ground Rich, but I thought Jon actually had a thread that showed the model with the shell off and showed the infamous geared axle drive system....but maybe I'm dreaming.
I don't understand the problem Jon had with the roof over the passageway between the two side walkways, as this model is built like a brick. KTM used much thicker brass sheet than any of the Korean builders use/used, as Bob T has pointed out many times on the KTM built steam engines. When you dismantle this model, you can easily see (and feel) the Japanese heritage from how robustly it's engineered and built. Diesel models were never KTM's strong point and the drive is a real Rube Goldberg affair, but the build is superior. It has two chassis (frame and sub-frame) and each is thicker brass than a typical OMI or KEY single frame.chassis. They are screwed to each other making for a very strong structure for the shell to sit on.
I don't understand the problem Jon had with the roof over the passageway between the two side walkways, as this model is built like a brick. KTM used much thicker brass sheet than any of the Korean builders use/used, as Bob T has pointed out many times on the KTM built steam engines. When you dismantle this model, you can easily see (and feel) the Japanese heritage from how robustly it's engineered and built. Diesel models were never KTM's strong point and the drive is a real Rube Goldberg affair, but the build is superior. It has two chassis (frame and sub-frame) and each is thicker brass than a typical OMI or KEY single frame.chassis. They are screwed to each other making for a very strong structure for the shell to sit on.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: DD40 thread
Send it to Jay - I bet he would include the repairs in the cost of a decent driveline.
Re: DD40 thread
Yep, I thought about that Bob, but I want to keep this model stock. I have others I'm communicating with Jay about, but this model is so large I'd have nowhere to run it, so it will be display only. I also appreciate the intrinsic value (to me) of a KTM built model or a relic of the 80's. 
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests