Page 1 of 3
Best photo hosting service
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm
by up148
It is apparent we'll never see enough old photos cleared out (or purged) to allow new photos to be posted. So, what is the least intrusive service I can use. I'll have to get it approved by my (board of directors) because if I do something and it screws up my computer, she told me she won't fix it.

Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:19 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:14 pm
by healey36
Basic Flickr is free, but limited to only 1000 photos. To store more you'll need a subscription.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:49 pm
by bob turner
Mine are now in Shutterfly. More or less trouble-free. I may try a test shot to verify that.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:13 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:23 am
by up148
Hosting services do not install anything like an app or whatever on your computer; just like visiting any other website.
That is good to know, as a friend sent me a home movie he copied to disc from the 90's via "dropbox". I tried to look at it, but it required joining or at least signing in and I got a warning from Google that it would give dropbox access to everyone in my contact list. Serious BS in my opinion. Obviously, I didn't get to see the video.
So, if these hosting services put nothing on my computer, that' what I want.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:11 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:47 pm
by bob turner
Shutterfly doesn't even let others view my photos -
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:59 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:51 pm
by up148
Okay, just joined Shutterfly as it was scary simple. Uploaded a couple of photos from my computer and they're being hosted. But how do I download those photos to this forum? When viewing these photos on shutterfly I see no icons for downloading to another site, only uploading more photos.

I now understand how these hosting services make their money as 99% of what they show is to purchase this or that or ???
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:32 pm
by bob turner
I'll get back to you - really easy.
But try this - click on the photo of interest. Find the circle with plus sign, and click on that. Then, I think, you right click and click on something like "image address" - third option.
Then back here
Click on "img" above, then "control V" or " paste."
I will verify that later.
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:38 pm
by bob turner
Yep. Just moving the cursor over your chosen photo gives you a + inside a magnifying glass, so click on the +.
Then right click - fourth one down is "copy image address."
Click that. Then come here. "Img" is the Fourth from the right on top of your post. Hit that:

Then it is simply control V or whatever your computer uses for "paste" - it inserts the image address inside the MTJ code for image.
So let's see if that still works . . .
Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:42 pm
by bob turner
Yep - still works! Easy-peezy. Try it here, and we will try to trouble-shoot if you don't get it.
By the way, sometimes uploading to Shutterfly is harder than others - tonight I was "successful" at uploading, but it took a couple more buttons than usual. I did the normal select, then had to put a red "checkmark" on the images I just loaded, and then upload them from purgatory to the actual album. Here's another doorstop:

Re: Best photo hosting service
Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:29 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
.