General Models Mac Handcar

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

General Models Mac Handcar

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Price is good enough at ten bucks.

I have one.

You've never lived until you put it on three rail track, turn the power up...and up...and nothing.
Scratch your head, then give it a push.

The silly thing takes off on a land-speed record run, and first curve, it launches itself into the chasm.

Armature is the axle. Commutator is the copper strips embedded in the treads of the wheels on same axle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-O-Scale-El ... 3319054346
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

De Bruin

Re: General Models Mac Handcar

Postby De Bruin » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:13 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Price is good enough at ten bucks.

Yes I think that is what we paid at the All Nation Hobbies Shop in the Loop in Chicago in 1970 for their GMC single truck, single door, Birney with the exact same chassis, I only vaguely recall they did a hand car/speeder version of it, which of course was not as appealing as a trolley to us at the time.

ScaleCraft wrote:You've never lived until you put it on three rail track, turn the power up...and up...and nothing.
Scratch your head, then give it a push....The silly thing takes off on a land-speed record run, and first curve, it launches itself into the chasm.

LMAO-Yes! they only apparently had one speed and too boot had to be pushed to actually run :lol: Remarkably they would take a lot of heat if you let them sit there without pushing them yet without totally melting down. We found this out by trial and error. It was fragrant,

ScaleCraft wrote:Armature is the axle. Commutator is the copper strips embedded in the treads of the wheels on same axle.

I seemed to recall after our trip to Chicago brother Jim running this contraption by my ME Dad and he identified it as "Rhesus Motor."
A very squirrely and cheap design.

ScaleCraft wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-O-Scale-Electric-Gang-Car-Vintage-Toy-Train-Car/353319054346

Another relic of All Nation Empire, and obscure at that, thanks for posting, I still have the Birney car body and may still actually have that same chassis in my O27 cache.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Re: General Models Mac Handcar

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:10 pm

De Bruin wrote:[
Another relic of All Nation Empire, and obscure at that, thanks for posting, I still have the Birney car body and may still actually have that same chassis in my O27 cache.

I have the trolley chassis. Different design. Have the shell. There appears to be a plate between that is missing.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”