Page 1 of 1

This seems wrong.......

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 pm
by herronpeter
Thirty two hundred bucks and needs repairs! What am I missing? I’m used to having to do some minor repairs when I buy something but not for 3K plus!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164554144690

Peter

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:01 pm
by De Bruin
Agreed, while I'm not a high end brass collector etc. and though I know quite a few who are and yes Key models are REALLY good,
not this good.
I'd be interested in seeing how Bill Davis would price this on his site, or a savvy collector would put it up for on -Yard Sale or Fee-Bay.
My opinion only.

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
From an estate and probably overpaid for it so now is listing it in the stratosphere.

Does have some interesting freight cars listed but no bargains there either.

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:31 am
by herronpeter
Knowing Bill Davis as I do, he would repair the drawbar prior to selling it. No idea what he might ask but he usually lets the market and desire set the price. I don’t recall seeing this model locomotive before so it just might qualify fo rare! Thirty two hundred still seems high!

Peter

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:34 am
by Chris Webster
herronpeter wrote:Thirty two hundred bucks and needs repairs! What am I missing?

You are overlooking the "Make Offer" option

My experience has been that items listed with the "Make Offer" option do not sell for anywhere near the buy-it-now price.

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:57 am
by Chris Webster
herronpeter wrote:I don’t recall seeing this model locomotive before so it just might qualify fo rare!

Sunset NYC pacifics seem to show up for sale all the time, but like you, I can't recall ever seeing a Key NYC pacific before.

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:From an estate and probably overpaid for it so now is listing it in the stratosphere.

Does have some interesting freight cars listed but no bargains there either.
The seller (Jonster6) also has a Precision NYC F-12e (Walscherts valve gear) 4-6-0 for sale. Last week, I would have told you those were rare, but this week there are two of them listed on ebay. Jonster6's is listed for $1,595, but if you put it on your watch list then ebay should send you an offer to sell it to you for $1,549 -- at least ebay did that for me. PreciousKarl has another one listed for $1,495.95, also with a make offer option.

TrainZ has a NYC F-12a (Baker valve gear) 4-6-0 listed for $1,040.39 buy-it-now only.

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:20 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
Chris Webster wrote:Last week, I would have told you those were rare, but this week there are two of them listed on ebay.


Being patient reduces rarity over time.

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:24 am
by E7
Didn't any of you guys ever go on a fishing trip? :mrgreen:

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
E7 wrote:Didn't any of you guys ever go on a fishing trip? :mrgreen:


Patience, like reading comprehension and rational thought, is declining..........

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 pm
by up148
Same seller has this on Yardsale for $2500, which sounds high, reading into the feedback here. I know nothing of NYC.

Re: This seems wrong.......

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:45 pm
by robert.
Did you see his other items. $50.00 for a junk lot of track. His sold items show he is able to get $500. for a trash can. :mrgreen: