Page 1 of 1

Lobaugh Tank

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:49 pm
by bob turner
A guy named asis757 is selling what looks like a prewar Lobaugh J&L tank for $225. It has been modified for Athearn trucks and, according to the seller, needs handrail work and "TLC."

I am not an expert on these things - I have six of the postwar J&Ls, with rivets and lost wax domes, and figure them worth around half what this seller is asking. I do favor the smaller prewar Lobaugh tankers, and am hoping to find another 12,000 gal tank some day - but wouldn't go around the block for a prewar J&L or SP Crude.

Not only that, but this seller doesn't even know of its provenance. I rank this one with the $25,000 Challenger.

Re: Lobaugh Tank

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:42 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
bob turner wrote:A guy named asis757 is selling what looks like a prewar Lobaugh J&L tank for $225.


Saw that and a few others in that price range and just laughed quietly and hit the scroll down key.

Can't be bothered to even open and look at listings that exhibit such silliness anymore.

but wouldn't go around the block for a prewar J&L or SP Crude.


I might be motivated to go round the block for a prewar SP Crude, :wink: :wink:

Re: Lobaugh Tank

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:55 pm
by ScaleCraft
Lobaugh or not, looks pretty rough to me.
Paint and finish alone needs strip and repaint, then find new decals, then Lobaugh trucks.
Looking at the ends, decals are shot anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-scale-2-rail ... 3789033585

Rusted axles, corroded wheels, I am enamoured of the brake cylinder rod. How does THAT work?

Rats nest where air hoses attach.

Builder certainly did not do any prep work of note before painting it. Truck mount frames under tank are horrible.

Fixable? Yes, but not for 225.

Says make offer.

For the amount of work and parts involved, twenty-five?