The June 1996 issue of Railmodel Journal had an article on Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line. This layout had 550 feet of mainline track in a 26 foot x 48 foot free-standing room and was on the 1996 NMRA National Convention tour.
The full issue can be read on Trainlife: Railmodel Journal June 1996 (Trainlife)
Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
-
Chris Webster
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
Yep, Si was a special person and I was lucky enough to be his friend.
I'm also lucky enough to still have almost all the engines shown in the photos. This includes the 4-10-2 and the 2-10-2.
One of the things I was tasked with was dismantling his layout and I think the hardest was removing the control panel. It's really a personal thing. To me kind of like the heart of the layout. The saddest was turning out the lights and closing the door for the last time.
Oh yeah, another special item I have is the scratch built bridge (duck under). Numbered 1921...the year Si was born.
Jay
I'm also lucky enough to still have almost all the engines shown in the photos. This includes the 4-10-2 and the 2-10-2.
One of the things I was tasked with was dismantling his layout and I think the hardest was removing the control panel. It's really a personal thing. To me kind of like the heart of the layout. The saddest was turning out the lights and closing the door for the last time.
Oh yeah, another special item I have is the scratch built bridge (duck under). Numbered 1921...the year Si was born.
Jay
- R.K. Maroon
- Posts: 3136
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm
Re: Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
Thanks posting the link, Chris. I recall Jay and Bob T. discussing Si and his models from time to time, so seeing the article with photos of his layout and the models makes it more real.
And nice coda, Jay. I will echo your sentiments by saying that I have found that the models in my collection I value most are the ones that belonged to friends.
Jim
And nice coda, Jay. I will echo your sentiments by saying that I have found that the models in my collection I value most are the ones that belonged to friends.
Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
Finally got on the big computer and opened up that file. Brings back memories! Si had that layout so it would run forever - no derailments!
Took my MM-2 up there one day - 17/64, with a bit of overhang at the pilot. I think it hooked a barrel on one of the trestles, so my locomotives were banned from the layout. Si worked in 1/4" scale, and indeed finished his project.
Linda wants to know what happened to the turtles?
Took my MM-2 up there one day - 17/64, with a bit of overhang at the pilot. I think it hooked a barrel on one of the trestles, so my locomotives were banned from the layout. Si worked in 1/4" scale, and indeed finished his project.
Linda wants to know what happened to the turtles?
Re: Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
Never got the chance to meet Si, but I purchased some UP trains from him back in the mid 90's, including a USH FEF3 that I still have. I was really a rookie on O scale back then and Si was very generous with his knowledge. I took it apart to update and super detail it and then found and purchased my 1st KTM/USA FEF, so this USH model has been packed away for decades. He was one of the friendly giants in O scale back in the day.
-
Chris Rock
- Posts: 1480
- Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:08 pm
- Location: United States
Re: Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
That looks like a great layout. I didn't catch the size of the space the layout occupies.
Re: Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
Chris, 26 x 48 feet.
Dan Weinhold
Dan Weinhold
-
Jay Criswell
- Posts: 2003
- Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm
Re: Si Simonton's Squander Plenty/SP Line in the June 1996 Railmodel Journal
Bob,
They were tortoises. Kind of a bitter sweet story. Shortly before he passed, Si backed his car out of the garage and ran over one. Si was devastated. It had happened in the past and he usually would check under the car to make sure it was clear. Truth is, Si was tough as nails but really cared for animals. Long, long time member and contributor to the ASPCA. Why bitter sweet? The remaining tortoise was given to a neighbor that promised to care for it as much as Si did.
Yeah, they had free roam of the backyard and it was always fun to search them out.
Jay
They were tortoises. Kind of a bitter sweet story. Shortly before he passed, Si backed his car out of the garage and ran over one. Si was devastated. It had happened in the past and he usually would check under the car to make sure it was clear. Truth is, Si was tough as nails but really cared for animals. Long, long time member and contributor to the ASPCA. Why bitter sweet? The remaining tortoise was given to a neighbor that promised to care for it as much as Si did.
Yeah, they had free roam of the backyard and it was always fun to search them out.
Jay
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Chris Webster and 52 guests