Condition, condition, condition

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Condition, condition, condition

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:45 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-O-Scal ... 4451022767

Yeah I know what it is even without the title.
I look at the work to bring it back. Disassemble, glass bead, repaint and re-assemble, hoping no major issue.
Front steps.....small screws to bottom of running boards missing? Cab back is gonna need some serious body work....I really like the valve timing on the left side as shown by the eccentric position.
Really is worth the $145 asking...if it was straight, painted, lettered, tested and guaranteed to run.

I'm thinking a $20 offer to see. I'd like to do one. I have no Pacifics.
Driver condition? Fit to axles? Motor (don't see a visible hand reverse)?
Something is amiss with quartering, as especially LH side counterweights don't line up.
Looks complete except for the back coal sheet and whistle.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

chuck

Re: Condition, condition, condition

Postby chuck » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:23 am

eBay choking on the image loads. All "photo not available".
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:22 am

ScaleCraft wrote: Really is worth the $145 asking...if it was straight, painted, lettered, tested and guaranteed to run.

Conversely, I'd say based on now having a bid with another day to go the seller got his listing/opening bid right, really if it was indeed "straight, painted, lettered, tested and guaranteed to run,"
wouldn't it go for a whole lot more?
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:24 am

De Bruin wrote:Conversely, I'd say based on now having a bid with another day to go the seller got his listing/opening bid right........

If the objective was to sell it and make it go away - objective met!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

That's Carey. He knows what this stuff is worth. If perfect and straight, these things can bring $250 or more. But the fun is in resurrecting. Like Dave, I am pretty picky about these things, and I may have $30 invested in mine, but the market is there.

There really is a lot of highly overpriced junk on eBay right now, but this one is not one of that class. Opinion.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Long ago I assigned a dollar amount to my labor just so I'd know what the investment would be.
I carefully looked at that engine, and decided the time wasn't worth the cost, at least to me. I don't mind re-working engines and cars. Done hundreds and hundreds. But initial cost has to be low enough.
No place does he say it runs. In fact, the word is "untested", and with the eccentric the way it is, it won't.
The killer for me is the quartering. If that was ran hard and put away wet, I'd be asking if anybody had drivers that did not have the axle hole flats wobbled out.
I don't mind an open frame motor, but he doesn't say field wound or permag in his writeup.

This one is more intriguing, with 5 bids to $91, looks like most of the stuff is there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-8-2-O-Scale- ... 4339384863

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:11 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Long ago I assigned a dollar amount to my labor just so I'd know what the investment would be.
I carefully looked at that engine, and decided the time wasn't worth the cost, at least to me. I don't mind re-working engines and cars. Done hundreds and hundreds. But initial cost has to be low enough.
No place does he say it runs. In fact, the word is "untested", and with the eccentric the way it is, it won't.
The killer for me is the quartering. If that was ran hard and put away wet, I'd be asking if anybody had drivers that did not have the axle hole flats wobbled out.
I don't mind an open frame motor, but he doesn't say field wound or permag in his writeup.

This is why you ask the seller questions.

This one is more intriguing, with 5 bids to $91, looks like most of the stuff is there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-8-2-O-Scale- ... 4339384863

Yes, also untested as to running.......let's see where it ends? $20+ for shipping........

That's Carey. He knows what this stuff is worth.

Why so it is and he does.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:31 pm

That is the All Nation Mountain, and is currently underpriced. Sure, like Dave, I got one from Downtown Hobbies for $35, and all I generally use is the boiler and pilot - but hey - big, powerful, no prototype . . .

I have four, counting the GS-1.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:32 pm

bob turner wrote:Sure, like Dave, I got one from Downtown Hobbies for $35...........

What year?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:08 pm

bob turner wrote:That is the All Nation Mountain, and is currently underpriced. Sure, like Dave, I got one from Downtown Hobbies for $35, and all I generally use is the boiler and pilot - but hey - big, powerful, no prototype . . .

I have four, counting the GS-1.

Mine is a GM, was free, all detail parts left off by builder (located and installed), hand painted black with a brush, valve gear, rods, crosshead, guides, wheels, drivers, tires.

But the initial cash outlay made the cost of refurbishment worthwhile.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:41 pm

The GM 4-8-2 is up to $231 with 7 minutes left!
Doorstop Rookie

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:38 pm

I shall pine away. Alas, two hundred Washingtons more than I would have spent, but its MY opinion! In the famous words of Lucy: BLEAAAAAH!

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:27 pm

I agree. seems like way too much, but...supply and demand. Who makes chassis and frames these days, ditto rolled or cast boilers?
Better yet who CAN make them? (Bob T and Joe F can keep their hands down)

Conversely, I'm starting to see parting out ugly door stop steam might be a better strategy $-wise than posting a more intact junker.
Thinking about some of those "artillery shells" in the club's donation pile.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:45 pm

I do not know what it closed at, but $250 was probably a bargain. It would cost five times that to produce a kit.

I think All Nations make reasonable doorstop steamers - maybe not quite as nice as Scale Craft, but still ok. Here are a couple of mine:

This is the $35 variety. Don't know what I did with the original frame and drivers.

Even the lowly Pacific can have some charm, if you replace the cab and sand dome - and drivers. No. I am not aware of any Pacific with 72" Boxpok drivers.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:33 am

De Bruin wrote:I agree. seems like way too much, but...supply and demand. Who makes chassis and frames these days, ditto rolled or cast boilers?

A good and valid point that seems lost at too frequently.

Conversely, I'm starting to see parting out ugly door stop steam might be a better strategy $-wise than posting a more intact junker.
Thinking about some of those "artillery shells" in the club's donation pile.

Why not?

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”