Claw couplers on an Overland F40PH

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Jay Criswell

Re: Claw couplers on an Overland F40PH

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Because they can spend even more money sending it to Criswell and having him rebuild it!

Just finished two. Afraid to ask the owner if he bought the one shown.

Doesn't run? I'd almost rather read that than, runs well. Typically, most models never run as well as stated. Probably subjective, I suppose.

Most times, I don't care if it runs.

In this case, it might just be DCC and without the proper equipment it won't run. It might just sit there. Not really that many things that can go wrong to prevent running. No rocket surgery or brain science needed.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:05 pm

25% of that $850 is BT.Coms consignment fee. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but there are people out there with bankrolls large enough that wouldn't bat an eye at $850. Maybe someone wanted that model in brass and was buying the shell. You can't inject your values into someone else's purchase. One man's meat is another man's poison. That said, it does serve as very good grist for this forum. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back when Kohs brought out his N5c cabin car, there was a guy over on NK who thought it would be neat to get one and put lobster claws on it..........and while we're at it, lets go out and get 7 or 8 new tats and have our nose pierced...and you guys are worried about an $850 piece of crap. :mrgreen:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:12 am

Chris Webster wrote:
De Bruin wrote:Note the two listed Superliners (also sold) have the black painted wheels too.
Now that you've pointed that out, I'm thinking that perhaps these models were shipped from the factory with painted wheels?

Yeah, like Marsh wanted more righteous aggravation on top of his daily cafeteria tray-full then .....I'd say .....not.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:30 am

E7 wrote: You can't inject your values into someone else's purchase. ..and you guys are worried about an $850 piece of crap.

I wonder sometimes about whose values are being injected where. At least you clarified at the end.

My post early in this escapade said:
"They can't be that desirable or rare, can they?"

Nobody has answered that yet, I don't think.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:42 am

ScaleCraft wrote:"They can't be that desirable or rare, can they?"

Rare? No idea.
Desirable? Well, if you gave me a stack of them and I could sell them for $800+ each, I'd probably find them passingly desirable.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:01 pm

De Bruin wrote:Yeah, like Marsh wanted more righteous aggravation on top of his daily cafeteria tray-full then .....I'd say .....not.

I was thinking an error in communications with the factory -- whoever told them to paint the wheels forgot to tell them to clean the treads.
ScaleCraft wrote:My post early in this escapade said:

Brasstrain's database values the model at $1000, which is about right based upon the units I've seen sell on ebay. I think OMI's Amtrak AMD103 diesels sell for even more.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:37 pm

Chris Webster wrote:Brasstrain's database values the model at $1000, which is about right based upon the units I've seen sell on ebay.

Interesting. Like going to a car dealer and having him tell you their dealership database says the car you're looking for is worth double what a neighboring dealer sells it for.

Something is wrong here.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:51 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
Chris Webster wrote:Brasstrain's database values the model at $1000, which is about right based upon the units I've seen sell on ebay.

Interesting. Like going to a car dealer and having him tell you their dealership database says the car you're looking for is worth double what a neighboring dealer sells it for.

I get an e-mail weekly from the local dealer quoting a price offering to buy my car and it keeps going up...........and then you read the fine print after which it might be that I'd have to pay them to take it.......

So find 5-8 examples of other seller's prices......see if any compare to anything.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:06 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
So find 5-8 examples of other seller's prices......see if any compare to anything.

The link I posted shows TWO engines and NINE cars from October of last year for 5800 or so. Still too much, but runs...with appropriate decals.

Seems that other than bragging rights, some other manufacturer would be a better choice.

Jay says he just reworked two, so that tells me owners aren't satisfied with out-of-the-box performance.

Add rework costs, and it just keeps on keepin' on.

And shipping to you, to Jay, and back....a two grand loco by the time you're done?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:32 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:....a two grand loco by the time you're done?

If that's what makes them happy, great. Not my circus and not my monkeys......

Maybe we'll learn more after it arrives at Jay's shop, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:11 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
E7 wrote: You can't inject your values into someone else's purchase. ..and you guys are worried about an $850 piece of crap.

I wonder sometimes about whose values are being injected where. At least you clarified at the end.

My post early in this escapade said:

Well, the crystal ball is in the shop, and one of the legs is broken off the pointer of my Ouija board. Brian Marsh could probably tell you, but I don't think he posts here. I really don't care how many were made, but rest assured there is at least one guy who thinks they are worth $850.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Sure, I worked on two, I didn't say what I did to them. They ran fine, for twenty year old technology, right out of the box.

Customer wanted P:48, DCC, sound, and my drives. That's what I did.

Both were factory painted but one was lettered and the other not. That's how they came from the factory. Even the labels state it. OMI decal sheet included in the unlettered model so the end user could apply whatever number(s) they wanted.

Another model just sent to me. Told it didn't run. Took off the shell and found a broken wire (under some heat shrink) right at the Pittman motor. Took about a minute to trouble shoot and another to fix it (gotta wait for the soldering iron to heat up). My point, rarely, is a model that doesn't run, have huge issues. It's all mostly basic stuff that really hasn't changed much in 50 to 70 years, or more.

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:It's all mostly basic stuff that really hasn't changed much in 50 to 70 years, or more.

Makes sense. What do you do with the old original drives?

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:57 pm

RTF,

What do you do with the old original drives?

If the customer doesn't want them back I usually give them to friends.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 pm

Jay,

Just curious....how many wheel trucks did those other ones you worked on have, 4 or 6? I'm guessing the 4 wheel ones on the model in the link were not original. Thanks.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”