Midwestern Model Works Redux

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
robert.

Re: Midwestern Model Works Redux

Postby robert. » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:03 am

Why so long? No founding? MWMW is lucky nobody clocked him one.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:01 pm

For quite a while (well, actually soon after I bought a pair of Athearn HO SD45s in the demo color scheme when they were first released) I wanted at least one two-rail O scale one (road name immaterial) and recently got a US Hobbies one. Other than one truck-mounting screw, it is in perfect shape and cost me far, far less than the some-day-to-be-produced MMW version.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:39 pm

There is an old saying that seems to apply here:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 am

ScaleCraft wrote:There is an old saying that seems to apply here:

Depends on your level of neurosis. Stuff like opening hatches to nowhere and detail so fragile a heavy breath would knock it off are a PITA. You can order a "premium" version which has a cast "prime mover" inside the body...don't see much point in that other than weight. Give me a straight DC engine without a bunch of junk because all that junk costs money. For they who want it, be my guest. It still makes for good discussion fodder.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:02 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:14 am

E7 wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:There is an old saying that seems to apply here:

Depends on your level of neurosis. Stuff like opening hatches to nowhere and detail so fragile a heavy breath would knock it off are a PITA. You can order a "premium" version which has a cast "prime mover" inside the body...don't see much point in that other than weight. Give me a straight DC engine without a bunch of junk because all that junk costs money. For they who want it, be my guest. It still makes for good discussion fodder.

All that is true, but does not address the topic of the thread.

Where's the beef?

8 or 9 years of promises, deposits, excuses.....and then folks posts here that they just went off and bought something else that probably runs better and is far, far cheaper.

So, folks bought something else, that does the job....bird in the hand.

Folks still think the stuff in question in this thread will come to fruition....birds in the bush.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Remember that I do 3R and am probably as happy with my Williams SD-45 as those guys that are waiting for the MMW version will be IF they ever get it.
And mine runs on my layout. Now. Anytime.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:31 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Where's the beef? 8 or 9 years of promises, deposits, excuses.....and then folks posts here that they just went off and bought something else that probably runs better and is far, far cheaper.

So, folks bought something else, that does the job....bird in the hand.

Folks still think the stuff in question in this thread will come to fruition....birds in the bush.

Well Clara, the crystal ball is a bit fuzzy these days, and the guy that runs the MMW show is not piping updates to me (and apparently not to some of the reservation holders). As for what they (the reservation holders) are buying otherwise (if anything), is NOT detailed in ANY of my posts. I never mentioned anyone buying anything. Perhaps you should re-read the thread. The subject of this thread is pretty much the same thing as you are asking above.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Well, what I think is fascinating about this topic is the existence of "true believers."

They believe that this is the second coming, and when it gets postponed, they get mad at the skeptics.

I am with Rich and Roger - hope the dream comes true. But skeptical. Don't care personally, since my hobby is doorstops.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Mister Bach said:

"I wanted at least one two-rail O scale one (road name immaterial) and recently got a US Hobbies one. "
There's one.

And Roger bought a Williams.

To me the entire thrust of this thread concerns the vaporware and eventual cost, the questions as to whether they will ever be produced (see: vaporware) and folks discussing other options which appear to be cheaper.

I eschew brass completely, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I wouldn't purchase a diseasemal of that vintage anyway!

Only thing close is my Kemtron Geep.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:14 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:23 pm

This thread was initially about the long suffering??? people that reserved MMW SD45's waaaaaaay back when. We are now seeing the first signs that the natives are getting restless (a couple of posts on OGR).

My personal interest in an SD45 and most other 2nd gen Locos is somewhat LESS than 0. I DO NOT reserve anything, and there ain't no Santa Claus. :mrgreen:

I think they will eventually be delivered.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:16 pm

You think so? I don't. Length of "development" time, money sent in, no communication....spells nothing, most likely.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Yeas I do. Not because of any inside knowledge, only because there were a quantity of them at Chicago, or so it was said. The guy that imports them builds the drives (which are said to be great by someone who would know).

Anyhow, the beauty of it all is, neither of us has anything to lose, other than our prognosticating cred! :mrgreen:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:31 pm

I procrastinate more often than I prognosticate.
That may be part of MMWs problem.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”