Midwestern Model Works Redux

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: Midwestern Model Works Redux

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Now let me throw a curve ball into the discussion (not aimed at anyone in particular). The recent Key Imports Cab Forward just popped into my head! No I did NOT buy one. On the Key website says 40 were contracted for. BT dot Com sold one for a tad over 7K. I thought the price from the dealer was $7500.

Seems to say people will pay BIG BUCKS for certain things. (I say no thanks!)

WHAT SAY YE?

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:03 pm

E7 wrote:Now let me throw a curve ball into the discussion (not aimed at anyone in particular). The recent Key Imports Cab Forward just popped into my head! No I did NOT buy one. On the Key website says 40 were contracted for. BT dot Com sold one for a tad over 7K. I thought the price from the dealer was $7500.

Seems to say people will pay BIG BUCKS for certain things. (I say no thanks!)

WHAT SAY YE?

BT = Bell Telephone?? :mrgreen:

As for $7500 for a cab forward versus $600 for gondola? Well, the cab forward is quite a bit more complicated to build and is powered; the gondola is nothing more than an open box with wheels. No, I am not buying either, btw. I do have a 3RD Rail Virginian battleship gon reserved at around $125, that is a lot more reasonable, at least to me.
Of course the $1 Weaver two-bay hoppers that I got at a recent Strasburg show are at the opposite end of the spectrum; four were complete, ready to roll, the other four I got for parts. Surprisingly, there were still a few left on the dealer's table at the end of the show. I bought them, removed the frames (which is why I got the other four incomplete ones) and left the bodies. Not everyone recognizes a bargain;or, maybe, thought that something was wrong with them to be priced so low. I suspect that the hoppers might have stayed there even if they were marked "FREE". :roll:

sarge

Postby sarge » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:10 pm

Rich, I really don’t see it as a curve. Back in the long dreadful tome of mine a few posts back I mentioned those things being the in the purview of the wealthy, a niche within a niche. That probably is as good a case of that as any; there are, have been, and will be wealthy collectors for such pieces.

One thing is also to remember when looking at these sales, they don’t reflect any “deal” or other circumstances that might have been made, though. If a piece is listed, then “out of stock”, they don’t amend the listing price to that what it actually sold for if an offer was accepted. I really don’t know if it indeed sold for that price, just that it is sold.

For the hobbiest, the builder, the operator, that rarified world is wondrous to behold and perhaps just a bit of a head-scratcher to understand. :lol:
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:21 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:Of course the $1 Weaver two-bay hoppers that I got at a recent Strasburg show

Are you out of your mind! Why would you pay that OBSCENE amount for WEAVER hoppers? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now that we have both had our little joke :lol: :lol: :lol: , I am obviously not comparing a car to a locomotive.

That said, borrowing from Sarge, I too find $600 for a glorified hopper car obscene, even it it can be rotated while still coupled in the train. It's a moot point unless you have a rotary dumper. I actually like your Weaver cars at a buck better than the $600 gons. You could have a huge fleet without approaching the price of a bethgon. :mrgreen:

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Sarge,

I'm just having a bit of fun with this one and it's not really meant to be taken too seriously. I can say for certain that stuff of that ilk is quickly leaving my reality. That said, it there are those that want it and can afford it, go for it.

Different strokes for different folks. It's a lot easier to take when the stuff isn't that which you lust for yourself! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS For Bach: BT = BIG TOYS! :mrgreen:

sarge

Postby sarge » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:41 pm

E7 wrote:Sarge,

I'm just having a bit of fun with this one and it's not really meant to be taken too seriously. I can say for certain that stuff of that ilk is quickly leaving my reality. That said, it there are those that want it and can afford it, go for it.

Different strokes for different folks. It's a lot easier to take when the stuff isn't that which you lust for yourself! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS For Bach: BT = BIG TOYS! :mrgreen:

No worries, Rich. It has been quite a bit of fun just sitting back and taking a stab at the future while trying desperately to understand the present. GRIN!

However, after the haul at Strasburg today, its back to the workbench for me. Lots of things to build, a good winter’s worth in fact, which is my passion after all. Railroad is coming along nicely; fun with it all…

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:44 pm

A bit of a disclaimer:

I really don't care what any of the folks who inhabit this board do for their modeling pleasure, even though I might not understand it. If whatever it is they do leads to their enjoyment and happiness, I sincerely wish them the best!

I may take an occasional pot shot, but it's meant in jest.....mostly! :mrgreen:

sp
Last edited by E7 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:45 am

One must have a sense of humor, life is really shorter than you think it will be. Enjoy while you can as Chip Rovetta told me every time I saw or spoke with him ... "It's another beautiful day". That's easy to forget when your 32 and filled to the brim with life's doings. But its so damn true.

Enjoy fellas, enjoy the hobby and who gives a @%&× what others say or think. Laugh at em. Laugh at yourself, just laugh and enjoy.

:mrgreen:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:06 am

Yeah, and be kind to each other. Don't get into fights.

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:25 am

I’m in agreement with it all. A sense of humour, a little understanding when someone is just having a bad day (we are a bit older, after all), a little civility, a mutual interest, all make a place a gathering rather than a silent wasteland. I’m in, and will do my imperfect best to stick with those parameters.

Life is too short and free time too easy to otherwise pleasantly invest (at the workbench, for one) to not make the modelling forums here attractive places to be.

Those that revel in verbal jousting and stomach acid can always find nirvana on Club Car. GRIN!

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:23 am

Bob and Sarge,

Agreed!

Rich

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:09 am

You never appreciate it at the time because your to busy crashing through life with youthful exuberance Then from nowhere your 65 . I loved those times and the music . representative of those times I miss so dearly . Long live the 50s, 60s, 70s etc and all the wonderful people who long for those times back .....

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:25 am

Totally agree with comments about showing tolerance and understanding..............and Hondo your right on about that time period.

I've told my kids, although they can't really understand it (you had to experience it), but growing up in the 50's and 60's was a gift IMHO. Certainly not perfect, but what an idyllic time to be a preteen and then a teenager.

I never lived in a big city as a teenager, so that might change my opinion somewhat, but living in a small town 20 miles east of KCMO was incredible. Moved there in 1961 with population of under 2000 and by the time I graduated HS it was maybe 5-6000. By the mid 70's it had changed a lot with a population of 20,000+, today it is hard to recognize with a population of almost 100,000.....ant farm.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Like that old Joe South song:

"Don't It Make You Want To Go Home"

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:32 pm

Well it's been nearly 2 months since the last post here, just wondering if anyone has gotten any satisfaction/product from MMW?

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”