PRRK4s

Re: PRR Locomotives

Postby PRRK4s » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Hot dogs?

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:25 pm

Sauerkraut? Onions?
Actually though, based on Rich's previous posts over the years I would guess it's the leading edge angle of the headlight molding on the two F unit profiles in PRRK4's (fabulous) photo there.

Bob- I'm totally unfamiliar with Blum (himself or the "Hobby House") doing cast-boilered steam, all of my the old fliers for "Blum's" list some Lobaugh and Icken pieces (at a premium price) and the usual suspects like All Nation.
What else did he (or have) fabricated like an M1a?
Interesting.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:19 pm

:lol: :lol:
De Bruin wrote:Actually though, based on Rich's previous posts over the years I would guess it's the leading edge angle of the headlight molding on the two F unit profiles in PRRK4's (fabulous) photo there.

They are F3's because they have streamlined number boards.

Key-rect! The headlight casing tilts ever so slightly backward toward the windshield on F's E7's,8's, and 9's. It is shown in EMD's drawings (they are out there on the net).

To the best of my knowledge there has NEVER been a plastic O Scale (2R) F or E that is totally correct in shape. I guess it's because of the lack of photos of the prototype. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for 3 rail :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:34 am

Yes, Leonard Blum made an aluminum cast kit for the M1a. I have only seen a couple of them - John Fisher did a vey nice one. This one was apparently poured in bronze, making it rather "rare."

Blum had a hobby shop within walking distance of Burke Lakefront airport. By the time I got there, the heyday of O Scale had at least passed LMB by.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:47 am

I remember ads for Blum's Hobby House (probably in RMC as opposed to MR as I was a "Pulp Fiction" kind of guy as opposed to the slick paper of MR, which I think cost 25 cents more.

Checked the airport....Cleveland. Which confirmed my memory/guess of Ohio.

Curious why more stuff didn't end up being made made from Al, but then the obvious answer, is the almighty buck. That said, I have a pretty nice aluminum K-Line hopper, and I don't recall it costing a ton.

As for rare, it does not always equate to value.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:30 am

You can make a real hobby collecting sand cast aluminum O Scale. Start with deep well flat cars, and continue through Sharks and Steam, with a bunch of GG1s in between. Carey has aluminum cast PAs! Most of MiLoco was cast aluminum.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:17 pm

True. There's a lot of illogical things one can do!

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:06 pm

OK Bob, now you've piqued my interest even worse, speculating Art's listed M1a might be one of the Blum M1a's cast in bronze, have you checked with Art about it, opinion but he's about as knowledgeable about the bronze age of the hobby as anyone, may be even you, right?
It's a very cool looking model regardless and having that long-distance tender woah!
also did you see that C&NW H class?

I'd be curious to see ANY example of Blums M1a in kit form or built. Fascinating.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:04 pm

Jim checked with him. Yes, they believe it is a bronze Blum. I may have a photo somewhere of John Fisher's aluminum Blum; we could compare.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:32 pm

deleted
Last edited by J. S. Bach on Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRRK4s

Postby PRRK4s » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:33 pm

A dozen years ago when I was selling off someone's collection this M1a was there. It was super heavy and lacked its tender. I didn't bother to acquire it because of the missing tender. As far as I knew this was a bronze Blum M1a. After it sold and about 3 weeks later, the tender showed up. Ugh! Now I wish I had acquired it. The loco and tender sold to different people so they probably remain apart still. Can't remember if it was insulated for 2 rail as well as the obvious outside 3rd rail. Not a bad looking brute at all. These are the only pics I could find I my files. Image Image Image Image

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:41 pm

A link to the auction would be nice.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:08 pm

I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:59 pm

Thanks. Apparently not the same one, although the castings are the same. The one on eBay has a cast lead truck, no holes for the third rail shoes, and a different cab number. Nice to know there is more than one set of bronze castings floating around.

Somebody bid, so I shall refrain. Still, quite tempting for a doorstop collector. Probably need a forklift to move it around.

I am waiting for another pair of Lobaugh four axle Commonwealth trucks to start mine - it will be the earlier version with more graceful boiler taper. I have the drivers awaiting . . .

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:39 pm

robert. wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/393510122679?hash=item5b9f07f4b7:g:sPsAAOSwOrlhGYGq

Thank you. It sure is an interesting piece. I notice that the tender has 4-axle rigid frame trucks with the two center axles with fake wheels. My US Hobbies M1a tender has 3-axle equalized trucks. I wonder which (or if both) is correct.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”