Page 1 of 5

ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:36 pm
by De Bruin
Been cataloguing the contents of an old collection donated to the downtown club last fall (got the time for this these days)
and came across one I couldn't match to the catalogs or Jim's surveys, and Jim was unable to ID as well.
Image
This appears to be 17/64's and appears to have bronze tank and cast frame. It is mega-heavy. Anyone recognize the models manufacturer?
Image

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:37 pm
by ScaleCraft
mis-matched ScaleCraft trucks. Was gonna say Thomas, but they had brass channel frames. SC was cast what, lead tank? And rivets?

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
ScaleCraft wrote:Was gonna say Thomas, but they had brass channel frames.


Ends are wrong for Thomas, too. Heavy looking! Interesting dome, too.

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:27 pm
by bob turner
Dome appears to be postwar Lobaugh J&L. Rest might be scratch? Sure it is cast?

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:06 pm
by De Bruin
The tank has the feel/hardness of an artillery shell, that raised rivet collar around the base of the dome is what separates it from everything else in the catalogue survey provided by Jim, also the top hatch on the dome has small circular hinges and actually opens. On a separate note, there were two Thomas's in the pile and they are surprisingly nice models, if anyone's interested I will clean them up and post them for your perusal.

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:31 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
De Bruin wrote:............ two Thomas's in the pile and they are surprisingly nice models, if anyone's interested I will clean them up and post them for your perusal.


Sure. Why not?

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:38 pm
by bob turner
A Thomas tank can be saved with three inserts of brass tube. The tank wrapper by itself is not sturdy enough to support the domes and itself in the cradle areas.

Repeating myself - Lobaugh J&L dome. Postwar had an opening hatch and those heavy rivets on the base.

Re: ID this senior citizen?

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:45 am
by E7
I'm with Pete regarding the collar at the base of the dome....never seen anything like it, and I too like the look of the Thomas version.

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:06 am
by De Bruin
Thanks Rich, and Bob I'll go with it as a Lobaugh J&L dome thanks.
So as promised, here are the two Thomas cars. These really surprised me detail and proportion wise.
From that standpoint (certainly not finish) again think they’re the best tank car models in the pile.
Image
I’d guess everything here was stored in a dirty semi-open area like a barn or shed, these in particular also suffer from chronic clear coat yellowing under the iron tinged red grime. Pretty scabby, anyone know the approximate earliest date for when delrins went into wide spread use?
Image
I’ve attempted some clean-up with 409, Windex and MS silk screen remover which is great for the yellowing lacquer issue though it can’t be applied over the decals without destroying them. I'm on the fence on whether to dip these two off first or sell as-is.
Image
Unlike the previous model this Texaco version has some strange cast trucks, albeit one with Roco-Atlas wheels and the other with scale metal 33's.
Note the resistor wrapping the axle, typical of the entire collection as the original owner utilized an early GE Astrac installation and my understanding is these were used to queue the signal blocks, this got crazier if the car was lighted as in passenger or caboose. You should see the wiring harnesses in the engines (whew)
Image
Here's a close up of the truck, SC Dave couldn't ID' it either and suggested I run it by you guys.
Image
Apparently the original owner got some significant use out of this rolling stock, this intact wheel-flange booger has what appears to be hair in it too.
Image
Thinking now his layout was in the barn.

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:53 pm
by R.K. Maroon
I found some pics of the post-war Lobaugh J&L tank car in my files:

Image
Image
Image
Image

I'd call that dome a match. Good eye, Bob.

Jim

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:46 am
by ScaleCraft
I've seen those old trucks before. Cast or machined brass bolsters, flipped down at the ends with a hole to screw sideframes on. I probably have some here. Trying to remember who made them.

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:10 pm
by De Bruin
I had not seen these trucks before, I would guess sand castings?
Thanks for digging up the shot of the J&L tank Jim,
good catch indeed Bob.

Here's some more mugs from the pile I need some help in ID'ing, these three wearing this neon GN orange-red that the original builder was enthralled with as there are some box cars, additional cabooses sporting it as well. They almost glow in the dark.
Image
As I recall Dave you have a few of these? I can't recall the kit manufacturer though.

Image
I would guess based on those window castings this looks like it was originally an NYC caboose kit wherein the builder substituted a taller coop, and left out a pair of the side windows.
Manufacturer anyone?

Image
I like all three, this last one is intriguing with possibilities, but re-doing kluged wood kits is a chore.Again anyone recognize the source kit?

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:25 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
De Bruin wrote:Again anyone recognize the source kit?


They make me think Train Craft - if the sides that are pinned on are actually scribed plywood - probably TC bodies.

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:14 pm
by ScaleCraft
depends on which one. Walthers usually, All-Nation (cast aluminum frame and platforms, one piece), Gloor Craft.

Re: ID these senior citizens?

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:39 pm
by Nortonville Phil
I thought Ambroid made a kit for a short caboose like in the photo. Perhaps it was a NP prototype.