somebody is nutz in Georgia

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

Re: somebody is nutz in Georgia

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:21 pm

De Bruin wrote:I disagree that crumpled paper (referred to by some in the parcel industry as "bogus" paper) is inadequate for protecting the contents.

Crumpled paper might be ok for cushioning around an Atlas or scale Lionel car in its original foam cradle and box, but that's about it. If you want to destroy a Weaver RS3 then ship it cushioned in crumbled paper.

There are a couple of ebay sellers who regularly have brass up for auction. You can tell which of them pack well by how high their prices go up. Bill Davis did an amazing job of packing the few items I bought from him; you could throw one of his packed boxes out a second story window and the piece inside would probably be undamaged after the box hit the ground. (I'm not going to try, though.) Bidders seem to know Bill's stuff will arrive undamaged because they run his auctions up high all the time, such as the OMI gon he just sold for $404.95: Overland Pennsylvania Railroad G-32C Gondola C/P

There are also sellers who mostly sell Lionel and MTH that handle the occasional brass piece. Those guys will inevitably use crumbled newspaper and free Priority Mail boxes to ship.... and it shows in the prices their auctions close at. Brass buyers seem to realize that they're going to be getting a brass kit or RTR (ready to repair) project from those sellers.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:31 am

Hello all hope you're doing well sounds like everybody's had some fun with items from trainz

the E unit pair that this post started with I did purchase hoping they were the Denver locomotive works engines from 1945. they may still be supposed to have a cast nose and fiber sides Worthy's have a wood nose and reused aluminum for sides. The roof detail did look commercially made ...

Now the shipping was not too good as the box was slightly shorter then the E unit then they put a lot of bubble tightly wrapped too tight which broke off some of the details as you see in the photo as are trying to currently sell it once in my hand seeing the damage I just sent it back

I've had some very good experiences with them regarding shipping but then other times it has been damaged but an email to them asking for compensation and they're fairly easy to deal with
They do seem to go through an awful lot of trains price-wise they can be all over the map but I'm grateful for the few things that I've gotten from them that are real Treasures
Cheers Carey

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:28 am

My bitch with TrainZ (besides shipping damage and lousy photographs) is listing errors! Wrong scale, 3 rail vs 2, etc. etc.

I have made it my life’s mission to write them every time I find one as I really like the polite little messages I receive in return! LOL. Once in a while I see them make a correction or take a listing down, but I always get a reply.

Peter

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:34 am

herronpeter wrote:I have made it my life’s mission to write them every time I find one as I really like the polite little messages I receive in return! LOL. Once in a while I see them make a correction or take a listing down, but I always get a reply.

I stopped bothering years ago having never gotten a response or seeing any changes. Still, now and again they list something of interest at a low starting point and I'll give it a try. Rarely do I ever succeed other than to save my funding.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:08 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Not really a "bump", rather and "update".
The original Trainz listing is flagged as "sold".

Marmac Valley #650 "A" unit, right?

Condition: Used
Ended: Sep 03, 2020 , 1:45PM
Price: US $163.19

Now it's been re-listed by Trainz, same road name, same road number...except if you look closely it doth appear to have been shipped to somebody, and returned, with two Post Office trips causing parts to be no longer attached.

Cheaper!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-O-Scale ... 3768890101

Condition: Used
Price: US $119.37

Truck separated, more loose wheelsets, fuel tank skirting off, nose apron now a separate piece.
It's back: Ebay #294059597488 - Custom O Scale Marmac Valley AB Non-Powered Diesel Set #650 - 2-Rail

There was a buy-it-now price of $125 when I first saw it, but that went away when someone bid.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm

Chris Webster wrote:There was a buy-it-now price of $125 when I first saw it, but that went away when someone bid.

Priced right now, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:34 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Chris Webster wrote:There was a buy-it-now price of $125 when I first saw it, but that went away when someone bid.

Priced right now, :wink: :wink:

Definitely! But, at one time it might have been a couple of pretty nice models. The lettering looks hand done to me and not bad at all.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:55 pm

I probably shouldn't use four letter words here, but we're all adults, so I'm letting it fly: MESS

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Priced right? You have to be kidding - except for the wheelsets, it looks worthless. Not even the truck sideframes look salvageable. Nice paint, though.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:35 am

bob turner wrote:Priced right? You have to be kidding....

Nope. Started right at your starting point -- 99 cents. BTW, have you priced buying new wheelsets recently :?:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:22 am

Yes. Twice what I am paying for used wheelsets, and worth it. Problem is, I only do steel .172, and NWSL is the only source, and I am not at all sure they are a reliable source.

EBay and other sources do not know how to measure - so buying used wheelsets is a gamble. Not complaining; I enter these deals with eyes wide open. Shipping eats me alive, and I wind up with the wrong size. I can afford it - but still casually looking for Lobaugh Centipede tender wheelsets (42").

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:25 am

My starting point? I would not let it in the front door unless it came free, with a ten dollar bill to cover my time stripping it of anything useful.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:24 pm

bob turner wrote:Yes. Twice what I am paying for used wheelsets, and worth it. Problem is, I only do steel .172, and NWSL is the only source, and I am not at all sure they are a reliable source.

I have no idea any more. I need very few of their products and buy less.

EBay and other sources do not know how to measure - so buying used wheelsets is a gamble. Not complaining; I enter these deals with eyes wide open. Shipping eats me alive, and I wind up with the wrong size. I can afford it - but still casually looking for Lobaugh Centipede tender wheelsets (42").

eBay does not measure anything; sellers might and some do - I even put a ruler into some of my listings

Shipping is a very discouraging factor. I have not bid on many items simply due to what I know to be inflated shipping costs.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:03 pm

What I meant was . . .

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:39 am

Chris Webster wrote:It's back: Ebay #294059597488 - Custom O Scale Marmac Valley AB Non-Powered Diesel Set #650 - 2-Rail

There was a buy-it-now price of $125 when I first saw it, but that went away when someone bid.

Sold for $39.

7 different bidders bid on it and the winning bidder is an account with a feedback number of 1.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”