Page 1 of 1

Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm
by up148

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:19 pm
by ScaleCraft
I think I passed that one up probably 15 years ago outside of Prescott, Arid-Zone-A.
I remember the raised lettering and the highly detailed tender journals. There was a small artic that was even worse. Don't ya love it when they can't even get the cab roof on right way around for an $8,000 photo shoot?

Cutouts to clear tender, whistle....in the back?

Are those supposed to be air pumps on pilot deck? Hard to say when there is another set in the left running board....with a walking beam on top of them?
When is the last time you saw a grab iron on the side of the cylinders?
That doubler plate on the back tender bulkhead behind the ladder....heck, the pressure hull on our submarine wasn't that thick.

Lovely. Look good hauling those $14,000 Weaver coaches.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
Not a model but really more of an artist's creation - should try selling it to a completely different audience.

Sort of like those items that might better qualify as folk art.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm
by ScaleCraft
" perfect reproduction of the 4-8-4 Union-Pacific. "
Kinda throws it out of the "art" category, eh?

I am enamoured of the drivers, however. Same techniques I saw long ago. Look at the model.
"Oh, lets chuck them up in a drill press and drill a series of holes"
Image
Then let's run a countersink bit halfway down...yeah, that's just PERFECT! Yankees will never know.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:55 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
ScaleCraft wrote:" perfect reproduction of the 4-8-4 Union-Pacific. "
Kinda throws it out of the "art" category, eh?


Not really - probably what he was told by his grandfather or something to that effect and believes what he was told.

And, some think that Key and Kohs models are art.

Art is whatever you can get away with.........like Elvis on velvet or dogs playing poker.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:14 pm
by ScaleCraft
I remember Theo Berlyn's #1 gauge cra....stuff. Wouldn't go around curves, or pull worth a sheet, butt-soldered handrails and grabs...fell off AFTER they were painted.

That was sort of Theo's comment...we build museum quality models, not something to run.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:24 pm
by bob turner
I believe any hand made model is "art." I do not believe mass produced models are art, but make an exception for the high end limited edition brass, such as Kohs, Bultmann, or Key.

Opinion.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:28 pm
by rogruth
Somebody with less sense than money will buy it because any model that costs that much will have to be worth more some day.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Only if the inflation rate is so high it takes a wheelbarrow of money to buy bread.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 pm
by rogruth
By the way, I don't think it is a very good model.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:20 am
by E7
Deja Vu all over again. Second time around on this forum. Price was 8K back then also. Impressive workmanship, accurate NOT. All I could remember was the builder was Italian and the price was 8K. Wishful thinking.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:47 pm
by J. S. Bach
"Took 7 years to create this one of a kind masterpiece. All mechanical parts are moveable, perfect reproduction of the 4-8-4 Union-Pacific.
This train was made by my Grandfather and I'm selling it with great pain!" Yes, I am sure that 8.000 will ease all of that pain.

Re: Another Spectacular eBay Find

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:25 pm
by rogruth
If it is a perfect reproduction of a Union Pacific loco it doesn't seem to be of a UP loco in this country. IMHO.