US Hobbies Bolster

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148
Posts: 4755
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

US Hobbies Bolster

Postby up148 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:17 pm

I purchased a small bag of these at a March Meet back in the late 90's. The bag was marked US Hobbies by the seller and I later confirmed this was true. Installed a pair on an Atlas 8000 gallon tank car 10-15 years ago but never finished the project and trying to find the correct screws to fit it. I don't know if its SAE or mm threads, but know it takes a screw smaller than 4 mm as I checked that today.

The photos don't show it, but there is a threaded brass insert cast into the bolster.

Any thoughts?

US Hobbies Bolster 004.JPG
US Hobbies Bolster 004.JPG (149.97 KiB) Viewed 4410 times


US Hobbies Bolster 005.JPG
US Hobbies Bolster 005.JPG (146.61 KiB) Viewed 4410 times


US Hobbies Bolster 006.JPG
US Hobbies Bolster 006.JPG (142.54 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed May 27, 2020 4:44 pm

I have one in my hand and it takes a 4-40. I have no idea if they were all that way.
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed May 27, 2020 4:48 pm

But wait....I found a PSC version and it takes a 3 mm. All bets are off.
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42162
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 27, 2020 4:52 pm

3mm is what I seem to remember. Doesn't matter to me; I use drill and tap for 4/40 for everything as a standard so I'm not bothering looking for where the 23 other sizes of screw are in my shop.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

up148
Posts: 4755
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby up148 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks guys, these must be the 3 mm version as I have some 4-40 screws and they don't fit. So, Rufus, can I just drill and tap the existing brass insert for 4-40? Standardized works for me.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed May 27, 2020 6:03 pm

I don't even think you have to drill.
The actual diameter of an M3 screw is usually about 2.9mm.
A 4-40 diameter is 2.845 mm. According to he algore.

I have found that ain't exactly right, but I have done a whole lot of 3mm to 4-40 conversions, never drilled, just tapped with a t-bar. Turn once, back out, another turn, back out. Clears the chips.

The trick is, especially if the screw head is designed to fit for truck alignment into the truck bolster, is to use a drill press (no power) use the chuck key or pull the bar out of the t-bar and chuck that up.

Usually I am good to go by eyeballing the t-bar and tap (look at it, then look at 90 degrees).
Dave....gone by invitation

up148
Posts: 4755
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby up148 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:31 pm

I'll have to eyeball as no drill press. :D

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42162
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed May 27, 2020 6:39 pm

up148 wrote:I'll have to eyeball as no drill press. :D


I'd just run the tap in and go with it.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby bob turner » Wed May 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Be sure to let me know if you need more of them.

up148
Posts: 4755
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby up148 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Not sure Bob. I have maybe 7-8 pairs and so far modifying them to fit an Atlas tank car (no factory bolster) took a lot of changes and its still not right....going to try and make it right. Not sure exactly where I would use more but appreciate the offer.

When and why were these originally produced? I've never seen any on any USH car I own(ed) and haven't seen them on any PSC car either.

If I purchased these in the mid 90's, at a swap meet, I have to figure they were produced before that.

up148
Posts: 4755
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: US Hobbies Bolster

Postby up148 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Turns out the inserts were already 4-40 thread, I just didn't have any 4-40 screws. Bought a tap set (needed it anyway) and clean out the threads.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests