Page 1 of 8
Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
These are now sitting off to the side waiting for the paint shop to open.........[:-grumpy]
On to the next pair of cars; figure I might as well build them in pairs for a while....
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 am
by robert.
How will you letter them with the band clamps applied?
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:02 am
by HONDO74
Would these be a model of a vinegar tank car or maybe some other corrosive liquid.

Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:42 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
robert. wrote:How will you letter them with the band clamps applied?
There is that gap in the middle as well as along the flat edge of the side sill of the car frame where many flat cars were lettered.
HONDO74 wrote:Would these be a model of a vinegar tank car or maybe some other corrosive liquid.

Could be vinegar but not specifically so; they go into the train that I've been building - other car was a "tool & fuel" car......probably just water....
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:05 pm
by sleepmac
Rufus, beautiful!
Dan Weinhold
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:36 pm
by rogruth
sleepmac wrote:Rufus, beautiful!
Dan Weinhold
Of course. It wouldn't dare be any other way.
What is the pipe that comes out near the bottom of the tank?
I can't see if it comes out both ends. Looks like a drain to me.
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
rogruth wrote:sleepmac wrote:Rufus, beautiful!
Dan Weinhold
Of course. It wouldn't dare be any other way.
What is the pipe that comes out near the bottom of the tank?
I can't see if it comes out both ends. Looks like a drain to me.
Single end drain -- connect to hose. I have a hose stand for the one car, just no hose as yet.
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:00 pm
by up148
Not finished, but 1st try at weathering. I heard a flat clear coat would lighten the weathering affect, but I not only lightened it but made it darker. Might be the product I'm using as not model clear coat. I also thought it might be easier to weather before adding ladders and grabs and then weather those items after installed....will see. Still working and learning a lot and haven't had to remove anything yet, just keep adding layers, which chalk is good about. Did a brush wash first which gave the factory paint some tooth for the chalks.
All my UP book photos were taken in the early and late 50's, when these cars were still in operation and not really nasty or rusty....they had to be around into the late 70's or later to see this build date (1937 to 1948) equipment in disrepair.
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:53 pm
by De Bruin
Nice Butch, looks good to me, and yeah I think dull coat does darken the object surface almost as if it had a touch of Scalecoat "Grime" or some-such in it. On freight cars it's evolved to the last thing I apply after all touch up, refit and a extra decaling.
This is a very nice dbl door 40', Intermountain?
Rufous, that faucet is an incredible detail to incorporate. I assume you have an access issue to your paint shop? Que pasa?
Also, these are interesting cars structurally, are you working from a photo, or is this a conglomerate of various proto-types?
Also the box structures on the car ends bracing the tanks is not something I'm familiar with but then again pre 1900 freight car design is kind of comparatively obscure for me.
Inquiring minds etc.
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:23 am
by E7
up148 wrote: I also thought it might be easier to weather before adding ladders and grabs and then weather those items after installed....
I think you have the right idea and I am guessing it would eliminate a shadow effect where the ladder or grab or whatever would stop the paint from landing on the cars surface...
Real weathering would be further affected wind and gravity and sun and other outside forces.
Not that I'm a big on weathering guy!
Rich
PS: Looks good to me!
MY pickup truck is weathered (much to my chagrin).
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:31 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
De Bruin wrote:Rufous, that faucet is an incredible detail to incorporate.
Thanks! Got some valves from Wiseman and cored them out for tubing.....
I assume you have an access issue to your paint shop? Que pasa?
SWMBO'd is incredibly sensitive to paint fumes even with the fan, etc running full blast in the shop; easier to just take stuff outdoors -- maybe this weekend. Still need some flat white for one of the reefers......
Also, these are interesting cars structurally, are you working from a photo, or is this a conglomerate of various proto-types?
Also the box structures on the car ends bracing the tanks is not something I'm familiar with but then again pre 1900 freight car design is kind of comparatively obscure for me.
Inquiring minds etc.
Yes and yes. More derived from narrow gauge cars and then scaled back up standard gauge. End structures are very close in design to what was used for vinegar tank cars.
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:12 am
by up148
[quoteI think you have the right idea and I am guessing it would eliminate a shadow effect where the ladder or grab or whatever would stop the paint from landing on the cars surface...][/quote]
Turned out to be a positive. Have now installed details and matched them with the chalks and will soon glue the roof on and then go over everything again for a finish. I see so much more I could do, but this project has to end so I can move. But lessons learned will be remembered.
Sadly I learned too late this build of car should have had a metal roof walk.

Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:57 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 am
by up148
Nice!

Re: Covid-19 projects on the bench
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:45 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
up148 wrote:Nice!

Thanks! Wrapping up the next pair of cars now.....while building the pair after those......