Page 1 of 1

Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:20 am
by up148
Okay, I know this has been discussed in the past but can't locate any of the threads, so bear with me.

About the only thing I can do at this time (hip replacement) is work on trains and build kits. I have some IM kits I want to build and have nothing but super glue. I liked the Tenax for the capillary action, welding of the joint and it only leaves a blush on a painted surface if a mistake happens, which can be weathered out easily. Super glues leave a shiny residue and I want to avoid that. I still only glue from the inside on grabs, ladders and anywhere possible, but putting the frame together is a different animal. I know I can paint it but trying to keep this simple as I can't even go in to buy it yet, so the wife has to do it for me.

So, what can I pick up at Lowes, HD or any hardware store that will be acceptable. Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, ????.

I also have a newer resin kit (never done one) of a UP 50ft flat car I would like to start cleaning up and start on. What glue on this that I can easily obtain.

Thanks,

BH

Re: Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:38 am
by Chris Webster
up148 wrote:So, what can I pick up at Lowes, HD or any hardware store that will be acceptable.

My *understanding* is that Tenax is Methylene Chloride (MC) and that some of Tenax's competitors use Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). I've used a lot of MEK, which I apply using the needle bottles sold by A-line, but I have not tried MC.

MEK used to be available in hardware stores, but that's changed in some states. You should be able to use the HD website to check to see if your local HD has it. I don't know about MC. In my experience, Lowe's website has not been as useful as HD's website.

A quick google led to these two threads:
Passenger Car List - Bench Note: Methylene Chloride (Tenax) and MEK.
and
MR Hobbyist - MEK as plastic cement?

Re: Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
Tenax is methylene chloride and that's exactly what I use for styrene. People like to worry about its possible carcinogen status, bu tas it's quite a bit heavier than air, the fumes are neglible unless you are already laying on the floor or huffing the stuff/

I will use MEK but avoid it as unnecessary except for when ABS is involved and then methylene chloride will not work. MEK is a nasty toxin and lighter than air you will notice it's peculiar aroma and be inhaling it.

MEK used to be readily available at Home Depot and the like. Not sure where you can buy MC these days.

Resin kit - medium viscosity CA glue should be more than adequate if the joinery is good.

Re: Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 am
by up148
Just found a product made by SCI called Weld-On that is for styrene and acrylics. Hope this will do the job as I can get it Saturday via Amazon Prime.

BTW, thanks for the help with this.

Re: Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
Hope that the bottle you get has a good sealing cap.

If not, get something like this vial with a PE compression seal, otherwise your solvent adhesive will evaporate far faster.

Image

Re: Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:07 am
by up148
Will do. Though I had the empty Tenax bottle around but not finding it.

Re: Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
up148 wrote:Will do. Though I had the empty Tenax bottle around but not finding it.


Drop me an address; I'll send you a few if I can get to the PO.

Re: Tenax/Same Stuff substitute

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:18 pm
by up148
Just heard today my order for "same stuff" placed before I ordered the Weld-On was shipped yesterday so I should have that bottle to use. But, if it is not a good bottle I might take you up on that Rufus. But, I'd much rather you stay inside and be safe.