2 Rail Layout Videos (2 rail only please!)

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: 2 Rail Layout Videos (2 rail only please!)

Postby E7 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:04 am

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:04 am

Very nice videos and trains.
Why do (most) O scale modelers want to be very accurate have sound in their models but do not have smoke?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks for posting Rich. Always inspiring to see quality layouts.

You know Roger, I've always felt smoke was a very hard item to simulate convincingly. The only loco I've seen that looked really good was Sarah's (OGR Thread) 9000 conversion, now that's a killer loco all the way around, very talented lady. Maybe I haven't been paying attention and smoke has evolved. Sound has evolved to the point that it's pretty convincing, although duplicating the prototype exactly in model form is impossible.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:11 pm

Here's a thought: Do you really want to be breathing that crap? :shock:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:32 pm

I'm not a big fan of either, but sound done right does enhance the operating experience for me.
The dynamic action of steam/smoke exhausted at high pressure does not scale down, most of the factory smoke units in 1:48 generate a comparatvily uniform pattern of smoke contrails resembling little more than cigar smoke. even with exhaust pistons, digitally timed fans etc..
Just opinion, but visually the difference between the complexity of the appearance of prototype stack exhaust and one of our models is exponential. You just can't match live steam.
Then there's the issue with setting off the smoke detectors in the exhibit hall (seen it happen, yikes)
Alternately I had an Atlas Century C424 equipped with a smoke generator that cooked the gearbox grease into a hard cake on the adjoining truck. That won't happen again either.
Again all opinion and no offense to smoke fans out there, but yeah don't want to be breathing it either.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

RDSRR

Postby RDSRR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:50 pm

Here is one we did in case you missed it: https://youtu.be/Wmjh8GXMrPw
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 pm

I was just wondering. I really do NOT like smoke.
I do like horns, whistles and bells. The other sounds get annoying especially if there are IMHO more than 2 or 3 locos with sound running.
roger

I support thread drift.

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:42 am

And now for something much smaller!

https://youtu.be/7AgVxTqLkrk

Peter

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Congratulations, nice design, affords you lots of space for both landscape-scenery and structures-on line "bidnesses"
Looks great!
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 am

Peter, Great stuff. It may be small, but it doesn't look small. You have also avoided what I think is the biggest error in train videos: running stuff way to fast. I want to see the trains, not struggle to get a glimpse as they fly by! Really like your trees, they are great! Hope you will update us as you make progress.

Thanks,
Rich

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I would be posting lots of pictures of my scenery and building techniques if this site was easier to post pictures on. I refuse to use a "hosting" site for security and "I am a cheapo" reasons. So many people have lost all their stuff that way. Does anyone know if the i-cloud is considered a hosting site? I seem to remember posting pictures here before?! Is there a way around it?

Not sure its noticeable in the video, but all the track and turnouts is code 100 made with Fast Tracks jigs. That and installing about 25 decoders, 15 motors and 100 or so wheel wipers have all made this a much longer (but immensely enjoyable) project than I imagined.

Peter

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Oh, I forgot to say one reason for the slow speed (other than it takes longer to go around) was I was "feeling out" the integrity of the track as this was the on the second lap of the very first trip around the entire mainline having finally debugged the shorts the day before. When I showed it to my partner Lauri that night she commented..."why is it going so slow"!!!!!! LOL.

Peter

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 pm

FWIW I have noticed at train shows that have operating layouts most adults are attracted to those running scale speeds.
On the other hand kids ( use your own definition ) will go the the faster moving trains.
Both types are needed at shows especially Lionel type to get the youngsters interested.
Most modelers in any scale seem to have started with Lionel. We need more in the hobby.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 am

herronpeter wrote:Thanks for the kind words, guys. I would be posting lots of pictures of my scenery and building techniques if this site was easier to post pictures on. I refuse to use a "hosting" site for security and "I am a cheapo" reasons.

I can accept the "cheapo" reason.

So many people have lost all their stuff that way.

Anyone that loses their stuff that way defines inept. The concept of backing everything up regularly seems to continue to be a lost concept.

Does anyone know if the i-cloud is considered a hosting site? I seem to remember posting pictures here before?! Is there a way around it?

Unknown, and hardly secure. What do you think got hacked at Microsoft this past week? I store nothing in any cloud system unless absolutely forced.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 pm

herronpeter wrote:Oh, I forgot to say one reason for the slow speed (other than it takes longer to go around) was I was "feeling out" the integrity of the track as this was the on the second lap of the very first trip around the entire mainline having finally debugged the shorts the day before. When I showed it to my partner Lauri that night she commented..."why is it going so slow"!!!!!! LOL.

Peter

Lauri is seeing the thing in real time. When you video it, the purpose is (at least it seems to me) that things are supposed to be SEEN. If things are whizzing by, they are hard to see, and thus you defeat your purpose.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”