Page 1 of 2

One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 pm
by E7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Henry-Pearce-C ... SwmHBd-nh6

I likely mentioned this before, but there was a really nice article about Henry in the late O Scale News. Well worth ferreting out!

Re: One of the few doorstops I find interesting!

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
Set up as tender drive? Hmmm.......

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:24 pm
by LarryK
Many many years ago I had Mr. Pearce machine some driver tires for me. Took about 4 years but looked great.

He was a character and a good guy.

Larry

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 pm
by bob turner
Well, the price is right. Usually his prices seem a little high. Looks well done. Expect $200 for a dirtbag with tender. This one is not dirtbag.

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:57 pm
by R.K. Maroon
One question I would have is how does the seller know he has a Pearce and not a Hines? I only ask because the unit he is selling has blind center flanges. I have had one Hines and one Pearce go through my shop. The Hines has blind center drivers:

Image

And the Pearce had flanges on all drivers:

Image

The only other one of these that I have seen that could be positively identified was a Pearce kit, which also had flanges on all drivers.

I realize of course that it is quite likely that you could either a Hines or a Pearce in either configuration, but it raises the more general question of how do you tell one from the other. One other tell may be the motor. The Hines I know of used a Pittman DC 93. Not sure about the Pearce. Also, I know that Hines numbered there Mikados, but not sure about the 0-8-0s. The one Hines 0-8-0 I have seen does not have a number. On the Mikado, the number stamp is on the bottom of the frame near the front. I guess driver tread width might be different too, as treads tended to get narrower as time went along.

Anybody have any insights?

Jim

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm
by ScaleCraft
One: Never saw a Pearce/Hines with tender drive, can see where adding a flywheel in the cab (especially that size) would mandate tender drive. NEVER liked tender drives, as the offset torque twisted tender and loco in opposing directions. Can't imagine that one was a good idea with the offset to the drive at the top of the cab.
Two: Open drive......not a gearbox....later?
Three: Somewhere I read the driver centers were different, Hines and Pearce.


Something is seriously amiss in the model. Crosshead guides canted up at the rear, does not look like centerline of axles is anywhere close to piston rod. Could be the photo.

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:20 am
by E7
So how much ya bidding Dave? :mrgreen:

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:33 pm
by ScaleCraft
I sent a message, said I would pay shipping and no more, IF he included the (separate sale) tender.

Strange....haven't heard a word.

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 pm
by E7
I can't imagine why!

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm
by ScaleCraft
What does that guy on Wheeler Dealers always say?
More Profit!

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:06 pm
by bob turner
You kidding me? He separated the tender? I wouldn't bid on that kind of deal if it were half price!

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 pm
by bob turner
I checked. This guy has hundreds of offerings, but no tender for this locomotive. I amstill of the opinion that this 0-8-0 is a pretty good deal as-is, unlike most of his pricing. He must be successful, though, because he keeps doing it.

He has a Williams Mike that just passed $300 - I should send him mine - I could easily sell it for somewhere around $300. Nice models, but too small for my 17/64 RR.

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
bob turner wrote:This guy has hundreds of offerings, but no tender for this locomotive.


True - he knows better than to separate a tender from an engine.

I am still of the opinion that this 0-8-0 is a pretty good deal as-is, unlike most of his pricing. He must be successful, though, because he keeps doing it.


Possibly so to the right person willing to marry it to an appropriate tender tender. He's quite successful and apparently has a good following as I've yet to be able to bid high enough to get anything from him.

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:50 am
by bob turner
With few exceptions, his starting prices are too high for me.

Re: One of the few doorstops I might have a desire to own (if there was a tender)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:17 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
bob turner wrote:With few exceptions, his starting prices are too high for me.


Not everyone starts their sales at 0.99 cents, :wink: :wink: , yet he does sell a lot of stuff so there are buyers that feel otherwise.