Page 1 of 1

Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59 am
by Chris Webster

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:26 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Well, it would be nice to have an hour to kill on that video, but, alas, I don't.

Jim

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:05 pm
by Chris Webster
James May is a former host of the original (UK version) Top Gear television program. He now does a show titled Top Toys.

In the episode I posted above, May led a group that laid two parallel lines of HO/OO scale model train track outside on a rail-trail between two towns that are 10 miles apart. Then he had an English team and a German team (from the Minatur Wunderland) race 8 OO-scale trains the entire 10 miles between the towns. Each team had a classic steam train, a modern diesel train, a futuristic train and a backup futuristic train.

This was the second time May had attempted to run an OO-scale train between the two towns. I believe the first attempt was covered on an earlier episode of the program, but I have not seen that episode.

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:54 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
Pretty sure that this is all several years ago?

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:09 pm
by E7
Great stuff Chris! A load of laughs.

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:14 pm
by E7
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Pretty sure that this is all several years ago?


Said 2011!

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Pretty sure that this is all several years ago?


Said 2011!


I thought a lot of the shows had crossed the pages of MTJ somewhere, somewhen.

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 pm
by rogruth
I watched a few minutes and got bored with all of the stoppages/derailments.
Maybe if you were there. Might have been more fun with Monty Python.

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm
by ogauge47
James May is great, probably my favorite of the three Top Gear/Grand Tour presenters. I worked on the production crew for The Grand Tour when they filmed in Detroit in 2018. They all seemed very easy to work with.

Re: Episode of James May's Top Toys with OO gauge content

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:36 pm
by rogruth
The Top Gear shows were a lot of fun, I thought.