Page 1 of 1
Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:08 pm
by R.K. Maroon
A friend of mine is looking for an inclined cylinder for a 4-4-0, 4-4-2, or similarly sized locomotive. The only one I have ever seen listed in a catalog is an inclined version of the All Nation cylinder for their 4-4-0. This was offered not by All Nation but later by Babbitt. I believe it might have been urethane, but I have never seen one. I would have thought that others might have offered something similar at one time but I have no evidence that anybody ever did.
If anybody has one they would be willing to part with at fair price, or if anybody knows of any other sources or leads, please let me know.
And here, for fun, is C&NW Atlantic 1015 (at some museum preserved, me thinks):

Now that's inclined!
Thanks
Jim
Re: Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:49 pm
by ScaleCraft
Contact Garberson. I traded mine for a stock A-N cast cylinder.
Re: Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm
by webenda
Maroon,
Those are not inclined cylinders, these Hackworth cylinders on No. 25 Derwent are inclined cylinders.

Re: Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:37 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Wayne, quit confusing the issue with the facts.

Re: Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:28 pm
by bob turner
Yeah. All you have to do for inclined cylinders is add a shim. But these have a special name, and I cannot remember what it is. Check the Stauffer PRR Steam book - E3 Atlantic. Inside admission?
And yeah - the resin ones are the only ones I am aware of. Making cylinder blocks is not difficult, and really trivial if you have a lathe.
Re: Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:02 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Photos of an O-scale inclined cylinder assembly have appeared:


This are believed to be All Nation. It appears from inspection that one could indeed make one of these (or something close enough) by modifying a regular cylinder assembly. I will see if I can get measurements.
Jim
Re: Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:50 pm
by rogruth
The cylinder configuration in the first photo above is used with inside Stephenson valve gear.
Re: Inclined Cylinder
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:52 pm
by bob turner
Finally tried to find proper nomenclature. Best I could do is p.70 of Carleton's PRR Steam Second Look - he calls them "slanted piston valve" cylinders.