Page 1 of 1
2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 pm
by R.K. Maroon
After seven years in Ft. Worth, the Southwest O-scale Meet returned to Oklahoma City last weekend. The local guys, led by the intrepid George Wallace, put on a good show and it was well attended. The DFW club brought their mainline and traction layouts. I did not take a lot of photos but I did make a point of getting this one:

If you do a search on "Sunbeam" on this forum, you will find several references from my brother Pete regarding a long-duration project to build a five-car
Sunbeam, which was the SP/T&NO streamliner between Dallas and Houston, using Chester kit-cars and one BC Models baggage. He completed the set just in time to bring it to the meet. The train will eventually have a first-generation CLW PA up front, but in its absence the resident GS-1 was put into service. I have some video of this train running and will post a link once I get it edited and uploaded to YouTube. The video highlights the cars better than this one still shot. Stay tuned
Jim
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 pm
by rogruth
Very nice.
More to come, I hope.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:00 pm
by bob turner
Agree. Tell Pete I am making some vinyl stripes - red, with black outline on the stripes and on the lettering. If he is interested, have him let me know optimum length and whether he likes SOUTHERN PACIFIC or SOUTHERN PACIFIC LINES. Callie does these things beautifully and for cheap.
I love that GS-1. I have another on wheels, ready for cab and extended smokebox.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 pm
by E7
What's not to like??? Thanks Jim! Nice work Pete!
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:15 pm
by Nortonville Phil
Here are a few photos I took at the show.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 pm
by rogruth
Phil,
Thanks for posting the photos.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Here is a link to a video of the
Sunbeam in action
https://youtu.be/JMwOUbhpU6cJim
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:12 pm
by rogruth
I like the sounds these trains make.
The various train sounds added to many just don't excite me.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 am
by bob turner
That was a really good video. Usually when they go by at track speed you cannot see detail. These shots allowed me to partially savor the cars, get a glimpse at the interiors, and guess at the trucks. My guess - Boxcar Ken/Lobaugh? Not sure - the window cutouts look a little thicker than BC.
Also, notice not one car wobbles - they all run true. Good trackwork and clean wheels?
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:09 pm
by De Bruin
The baggage was from a new-in-box BC-models # for the actual T&NO prototype double door with windows.
The three coaches and the diner-lounge-ob are originally from Chester Industrial Arts. One from a un-built kit, and the other three complete rebuilds to get rid of the tacks and to kit bash the diner to match (loosely) the prototype plans, Jay helped me out big time with car ends, and the trucks were cast by Dennis and Kathy Mashburn when they were still doing that, Jim machined the side frames with bearings and assembled them as well as supplied the battery powered light harness/led strips. The underbody parts are Delta Models care of Bill Badsen, which improve the appearance of the Chesters (and any other car you elect to use them on) dramatically.
Glad you like it, it was a chore to build.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:45 pm
by bob turner
When I was a kid, the Chesters were a dollar ninety eight plus postage, which I didn't have. Later on I heard they were basically aluminum foil, so never bothered to get one. I guess I was wrong, because they look great!
Are the trucks Dennis' one piece casting, or are they the sprung variety?
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:53 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Not quite one piece. Here are the parts supplied by Dennis and Kathy:

Springs must be added. Here is a completed truck:

I used NWSL wheelsets. I have been told that the ball-bearings I bought are widely used in R/C cars. I have not verified this, but, like many things, in quantity they are cheap from China. Very happy with the results so far -- the cars run very smoothly with little rolling resistance.
Jim
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 pm
by bob turner
Not wanting to do the work, and wanting a different aspect ratio, I had Dennis cast some one-piece Daylight trucks with brake cylinders cast on. I guess they weren't popular - but I liked them. Big SP style journal box covers.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:16 pm
by E7
bob turner wrote:That was a really good video.
Also, notice not one car wobbles - they all run true. Good trackwork and clean wheels?
That was the first thing I noticed! Agree about the video.
Re: 2019 Southwest O-scale meet in OKC
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:25 pm
by rogruth
Must not be post war Lionel.
