Weaver’s Reading G1

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
2railjon

Weaver’s Reading G1

Postby 2railjon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:58 am

This was a nice find.

I was abused in another site because I had it pulling a coal drag instead of passenger cars. Time to research and see if G1’s were relegated for passenger service only. :|
Video:
https://youtu.be/ZbSH8dYuHVk
Running that red block Charlie.

rex desilets

Re: Weaver’s Reading G1

Postby rex desilets » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am

I confess to the abuse. In all my Reading material, photos, books, videos, I've never seen a G1 pulling anything but passenger cars.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Jon, When "they" confront you with this type of thing, tell them you are aware, but that your railroad is sorely underfunded at the moment, and you are happily accepting donations (cash, no checks please) so you can purchase the proper passenger cars. :mrgreen:

PS: Tell them that those hoppers are filled with anthracite! LOL

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Yeah and that beautiful modernized Reading steel coach "Wall Street" set that was imported about 15 years ago commands some serious coin these days.
On a more affordable basis the 60' Atlas Trainman makes a decent stand-in for the Pressed Steel and Bethlehem cars the Reading and CNJ has, though I don't recall seeing them offered with those road names in the appropriate dark green (they did do CNJ's in the B&O Blue & Yellow)

Finally a nice string of matching Prr P-70's would be appropriate as they were used pulling Pennsylvannia-Reading Seashore Lines schedules.

Great engines those G class Pacifics, one of my favorites, that Weaver version looks nice too.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Locals have told me, when Milwaukee was dieselizing, they stuck a Northern in as a yard switcher. Lasted about two days, or so they say.
You never know.

Just about the time you figure out what the prototype was, you find a photo that causes you to re-think.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm

E7 wrote:Jon, When "they" confront you with this type of thing, tell them you are aware ...snip... LOL

I would tell them that I really do not care!

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for the input!
I bought the engine because it’s a beauty of a Pacific and the price was right for 600 new in box never run. I’m not a big Reading fan as I’m more into PRR, NYC, Santa Fe, UP.
I was told SGL made a set of Reading cars that are pretty sweet. I’m sure if a set was found it would be pretty pricey now! :shock: if at some point I decide to invest in Passenger cars these GGD’s seem reasonably priced.
I’m not sure if the G1 ever pulled them but for my cheesy layout they’d be close enough. :mrgreen:

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:02 pm

De Bruin wrote:Yeah and that beautiful modernized Reading steel coach "Wall Street" set that was imported about 15 years ago commands some serious coin these days.
Truly pricey. Lovely, though. Managed to score a couple of them to go behind my G-3.
On a more affordable basis the 60' Atlas Trainman makes a decent stand-in for the Pressed Steel and Bethlehem cars the Reading and CNJ has, though I don't recall seeing them offered with those road names in the appropriate dark green (they did do CNJ's in the B&O Blue & Yellow)
The Atlas cars are a) short and b) paired window cars. Furthermore, the clerestory roofs of the original cars were rebuilt post-War into rounded -roof cars. The Reading coaches were a bit shorter than the usual 70-ft cars, too. Even if one could come up with a reasonably correct car, finding decals is impossible, absent having custom decals/dry transfers made.
I have, in my infinite TBD que, a couple Walthers single-window coached to be cut down to proper length and with reworked roofs. Some day :roll:

Finally a nice string of matching Prr P-70's would be appropriate as they were used pulling Pennsylvannia-Reading Seashore Lines schedules.
No G-1's on PRSL. Only PRR steam, at least in the 50s.

Great engines those G class Pacifics, one of my favorites, that Weaver version looks nice too.Were this a 3-rail forum, I'd say OK. I look to this forum for emphasis on accuracy &c. Apologies in advance for being a nit-picker.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm

I too like the G1, as you will recall. Still haven't painted it.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:29 am

rex desilets wrote:
De Bruin wrote:Finally a nice string of matching Prr P-70's would be appropriate as they were used pulling Pennsylvannia-Reading Seashore Lines schedules.
No G-1's on PRSL. Only PRR steam, at least in the 50s.

Au contraire, albeit taken in 1948, though we're talking about appropriate cars for a G1, regardless of era.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... ?id=214397
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:01 am

My PRR-only assertion was based on the PRSL historical site. I stand corrected.
Think I'll go score a couple PRSL P-70s to run behind my G-1.
Thanks.

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 am

I’m not sure how to navigate the link. All I see is 2 locomotives and no passenger cars.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

That's all there is in the photo Jon, an E6 and a G1 taken in the PRSL yard in Camden NJ. The Reading and PRR shared equipment and operations/trackage in South Jersey using the PRSL. To Rex's point most of the G series Pacifics I've seen photos of on the PRSL were the more modern looking "brute-iful" G3's (opinion, pretty much awesome looking like most Reading steam power ) The consist's would typically be either Reading or PRR passenger cars in commuter service or on Atlantic City or Cape May runs from Philly or Camden etc. It was fascinating railroad, and ideal to model if you were a fan of both roads.

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:17 pm

De Bruin wrote:That's all there is in the photo Jon, an E6 and a G1 taken in the PRSL yard in Camden NJ. The Reading and PRR shared equipment and operations/trackage in South Jersey using the PRSL. To Rex's point most of the G series Pacifics I've seen photos of on the PRSL were the more modern looking "brute-iful" G3's (opinion, pretty much awesome looking like most Reading steam power ) The consist's would typically be either Reading or PRR passenger cars in commuter service or on Atlantic City or Cape May runs from Philly or Camden etc. It was fascinating railroad, and ideal to model if you were a fan of both roads.
Although I'm a dedicated PRR foamer, I *weep* about the dearth of Reading power available in O scale (e.g. an I-10, a K-1). Must not be very many Reading aficionados. Yet, 3rd Rail saw fit to produce a T&P 2-10-4. Go figure. :(

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:36 pm

rex desilets wrote:Although I'm a dedicated PRR foamer, I *weep* about the dearth of Reading power available in O scale (e.g. an I-10, a K-1). Must not be very many Reading aficionados.

Since you're discussing RDG power, I thought I would ask if you know who made these T-1s that recently sold on feebay:
Ebay 163899514173
and
Ebay 153678882783
Are they KTM, or something else?

The same seller has a N-1 (I think) still available at the time of my posting: Ebay 163899279761

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”