Weaver’s Reading G1

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

Re: Weaver’s Reading G1

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:32 pm

rogruth wrote:Those three and Jon's all look reall nice to me.
What is your evaluation of the prices? High, medium, low, what?
This is just my curiosity.
IMHO, those are some really nice looking kitbashes of some not so nice looking prototypes! :lol:

My guess is that the selling prices were probably low, especially if the buyer resells them on ebay to bidders who don't realize they are plastic.

I'm not familiar with the name Meyers -- did he sell kitbashed engines and/or do custom work?
De Bruin wrote:I recall seeing an N&W Y6 bashed out of two AHM 0-8-0's in an issue of MR in the 70's, like these Readings, that's whole a lot of hours for a plastic model, even for me.
I remember RMC having a cover story about big steam kitbashed from AHM IHB 0-8-0s and that the story was set in an urban canyon. I just tried googling for it and found that the November 1977 issue had an article titled "RMC/Dremel Kitbashing Award - AHM's Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0 kit provides parts for a 2-8-2, 2-8-4 and 0-6-0 in 1/4" scale."
There's a copy of it for sale on ebay right now and the cover has a picture of RGS steam in HOn3, so it is not the issue I am remembering.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm

I have a soft spot for the Reading G1. I was almost sure I posted this somewhere, but cannot find it, so bear with the repetition. this one is based on a Scale Craft Pacific mechanism, but is otherwise scratch. It will look a lot better in a coat of paint with decals, but that comes later.

Tender is not scratch - I think it is Overland, with CLW trucks. Oh, obviously unpowered, but the gears are there, should I wish to give it a test run.

There is a larger model of this general type in the Franklin Museum, close to the 60000 Baldiwn. I think that is what piqued my interest in the Reading Pacific.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Bob,
Why do you usually show the left side of your locos in photos?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:51 pm

I dunno - I shall consciously show the right side on the next several.
A quick check of my SP thread - page 1 shows five right side, one left. Does that help my average?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Bob,
Maybe it's not you but a general overall thing.
I think all of the locos in this particular thread are left side.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:59 pm

rogruth wrote:Bob,
Maybe it's not you but a general overall thing.
I think all of the locos in this particular thread are left side.

Hey at least he has all the wheels on the rails!
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Last year we there was some discussion in this thread about models kitbashed from the AHM plastic 0-8-0. The quoted clip below is from that discussion, and surprisingly, for what it's worth, the links still work:

Chris Webster wrote:The most recent Stout auction included three interesting Reading steam engines that I presume were kitbashed from AHM IHB 0-8-0 kits:

Meyers Custom O Scale Two Rail Plastic Reading 2-8-8-0 Steam Locomotive

Meyers Custom O Scale Two Rail Plastic Reading 2-10-2 Steam Locomotive

Meyers Custom O Scale Two Rail Plastic Reading 2-8-2 Steam Locomotive

I bring this up because Dave Scalecraft sent me photos of similar kitbash that passed through his shops:

I will ask Dave to jump in here and provide details. I will say though that it appears to be well done. It would be interesting to know if he was free-lancing the design or actually modeling some prototype. The home road name of course makes it harder to figure this out.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:02 pm

The guy who built it or had it claimed "Yellowstone". Nope.
Tender is about the weight of the Sunday Funnies. All plastic.
Other that maybe side rods and for sure valve gear, everything on the engine is plastic. Drivers wouldn't rotate a full turn (rears not at all until lubed and worked in..then 80% rotation). Lead truck has 1/8" side to side, cut the frame to clear the wheels and the nose will fall off. Plastic drivers, no motorizing kits, no motors, or gears.
Lots of missing detail parts, so I gave the new owner the shoebox full of 0-8-0 and 4-6-0 bits I had.
Display model only...ever. If we had one of Woody's missing chassis, maybe, but how do you weight a thin plastic boiler?

Oh, I forgot....trailing truck is cast brass. So one usable piece.
Tender trucks (6-wheel), seem to be sprung, pivots work.

I think he paid $20 for it. Yeah, maybe.
Somebody with a modern diseasemal-era pike needs this on a piece of track outside a station or in a park behind chain link.

I can see this on evilbait now:

Rare! Vintage! Big Boy! I don't do toy trains, no way to test it, seems complete, BIN $3,000
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:51 am

Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”