Page 1 of 1

one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 am
by ScaleCraft

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:24 pm
by Chris Webster
That's awful.

I ocassionally get to see B-17s fly over my house when they participate in airshows at PDK airport.

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:28 pm
by Chris Webster

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:33 pm
by ScaleCraft
I figured as time progressed dead/injury stats would become more focused. First reports, six injured, one burned. One report thought two dead.

I've flown in a 17. Sad.

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:42 pm
by Chris Webster
Another Courant article, from Monday:
Five World War II aircraft to arrive at Bradley Airport on Monday

(The reporter who wrote that story is one of the organizers of the annual New England/Northeast Railroad Prototype Modelers Meet.)

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
by healey36
Very sorry to hear this, especially in view of the casualties. The Collins Foundation tour was supposed to reach our airport next weekend...I suspect this will preclude that. Thoughts are with these guys.

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:03 pm
by ScaleCraft
Last one I flew in was a Collings Group B-17, but it was really Aluminum Overcast. I think.

Their 17 was down for serious maintenance (maybe that was the belly landing issue...can't remember...or a baggage cart) and they pulled one out of a museum with a bad motor, swapped one of theirs in for the tour.

Had to have been close to 20 years ago now. Details.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-O-Nine

1987 was the biggest before today. Again in 1995 in Norfolk, Nebraska.

Read that link....and three Atomic Tests with a 13-year cool down period...........

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:40 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
ScaleCraft wrote:...and three Atomic Tests with a 13-year cool down period...........


Seems short.

Re: one less fortress

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:02 pm
by ScaleCraft
Yeah, having dealt with reactors and such in a previous life, I agree.
But, if it's on the interweb, has t be right.

I imagine a secure desert facility, every six months guys in white anti-contaminant suits of some sort run their hand held geiger counters all over it until The Government says it's safe.