Page 1 of 2

Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:43 pm
by bob turner
Many years ago we were doing work for Vince Waterman. There are two fragments that apparently were not claimed at Vince's demise. I am in the process of capturing them and seeking their rightful owner.

The first one is a mechanism for a Consolidation. Pretty sure it is Icken - it has that strange gear train involving bevel gears to make the 90 degree rotation translation. It is uninsulated - our job was to 2-rail it, but somehow the order was not placed or paid for.

Somewhere there is an Icken boiler and tender body out there. Since this community is incredibly small, asking here seems like a good initial step.

Can anybody here help?

Do not yet know what the second one is. I do know that shipping these things costs way more than a Happy Meal, even with wine!

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:10 pm
by E7
Vince died somewhere circa 2005/2006......why are you rushing into things? :mrgreen:

Your best bet would be someone associated with the old Eastern O Scalers shows, or possibly Rich Yoder of RY models. You might do better asking over on NK.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:07 am
by bob turner
NK is the next step. This is a quiet first attempt. My brother was the machinist - I taught him how to make driver tires and insulate; he and Vince took it from there. Don't know why it took so long to begin the search. I just received the Icken yesterday. Hardly seems worth the shipping charge. One more coming, when he finds it. No idea what it is, but probably again a separated mechanism, Original owners might not even be with us.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:35 am
by E7
bob turner wrote:NK is the next step. Original owners might not even be with us.


An excellent chance of that, I do believe. Vince's wife passed not long after him. He sold his business before he died. Not sure if those folks are still attending shows. Guy wore the conductor? hat similar to ol' Vince. Just for S&G's did a Google search and found"

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/tra ... ties-parts

That was a 2015 post

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 pm
by Carey Williams
Hello Bob ....

Is this the drive of which you speak ???

Quite early ....Icken penned an article covering the drive in Model Maker Sept 1930 .

Icken turned away from the little crown gear ..by 1933

Here are an Atlantic and Pacific both by Icken ...

I'll check with Vince's son if there are any loose "bodies"

Cheers Carey

Model Maker September 1930.jpg
Model Maker September 1930.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 9268 times


0430190106a_HDR.jpg
0430190106a_HDR.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 9268 times


0611190029a_HDR.jpg
0611190029a_HDR.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 9268 times

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:48 am
by bob turner
That's the one.
I am waiting for the second mechanism to initiate a search for either the rightful owners or current owners. I have no idea what to expect - I was surprised to see the Icken.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 am
by E7
Looks like a real collector's item to me. I think I see the trash collector coming now! :mrgreen:

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:53 pm
by ScaleCraft
Carey Williams wrote:Hello Bob ....

Is this the drive of which you speak ???

Quite early ....Icken penned an article covering the drive in Model Maker Sept 1930 .

Icken turned away from the little crown gear ..by 1933

Here are an Atlantic and Pacific both by Icken ...

I'll check with Vince's son if there are any loose "bodies"

Cheers Carey



0611190029a_HDR.jpg



Experience. That big old round head screw for the gear on the motor shaft needs to be changed out for a flush setscrew.

The mass of that round head will make it A) noisy and B) vibrate like a Model T at 40 MPH.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pm
by Carey Williams
Thank you for the advice about the screw ....here is a video link to see two K4's with the Icken drive in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ONqT9Fk9k


Model T's vibrate?
Cheers Carey

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 am
by bob turner
Still looking - second mechanism came in - an H10. This one is strange - it was shipped to my brother in 2008 with orders to 2-rail it. Neither my brother nor its owner took the time to correspond further. Mike didn't send a bill, and the owner did not inquire. It sat on the shelf for 11 years. Sometimes things happen - owner croaks, etc., but this one is weird.

Time to post on NK - they still deserve that title - threads are being frozen because of thread drift. Admittedly, there is less censorship than before, although I think they still prune posts.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:33 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
bob turner wrote:threads are being frozen because of thread drift.


Had not noticed...

Admittedly, there is less censorship than before, although I think they still prune posts.


They do, no doubt about it.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:33 pm
by rex desilets
Given the unhinged nature of some posters over there, some pruning is well-advised.
Contrasted, of course, with the sweet reason etc here.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:01 pm
by bob turner
I think it is fun to watch. Right now they have gone into super-obsessive mode over some MTH F3s. I take my models semi-seriously, but they are fretting over inaccurate lifting rings.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:36 pm
by rogruth
bob turner wrote:I think it is fun to watch. Right now they have gone into super-obsessive mode over some MTH F3s. I take my models semi-seriously, but they are fretting over inaccurate lifting rings.

Why not just change/fix them? Oh yeah. They paid money and the model should be perfect.

Re: Preliminary search - Icken 2-8-0

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:56 pm
by big bad jim
Sent you an email on these. History suggests you may never see it. But maybe look around for it.

Jim