Page 1 of 1

Sad day for O scale

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:58 pm
by RDSRR
Steve Neill passed away yesterday after an auto accident. We just published his article on Adams & Son. Also Mike Hill passed away today after a long illness.

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 pm
by bob turner
Ouch! He was too young. Was his wife with him - is she ok?

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 pm
by Carey Williams
Very sad day for O scale losing two members of good long standing who have touched many in the hobby .

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 pm
by Jay Criswell
Bob,

He was returning home after visiting with the Mashburns. As far as I know, he was alone.

Jay

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:13 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Yes -- Steve was travelling alone back to his home near Austin after visiting with the Mashburns, who were themselves visiting family in the Lake LBJ area of Central Texas. There were two vehicles involved, one of which apparently hydroplaned during a rain storm.

Steve will be greatly missed.

Jim

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 pm
by up148
Who was Steve Neill as I don't recognize his name?

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:57 pm
by ScaleCraft

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:16 pm
by bob turner
I only knew Steve as a fellow doorstop aficionado. Pleasant guy. I bet I spoke personally with him no more than ten times, and maybe met his lovely wife twice. Still, this one leaves a knot in my stomach - you just never know; we can be snuffed out in an instant.

His legacy to us is that nice, hopefully two-part Adams & Son article.

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:07 pm
by Chris Webster

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:38 pm
by up148
bob turner wrote:I only knew Steve as a fellow doorstop aficionado. Pleasant guy. I bet I spoke personally with him no more than ten times, and maybe met his lovely wife twice. Still, this one leaves a knot in my stomach - you just never know; we can be snuffed out in an instant.

His legacy to us is that nice, hopefully two-part Adams & Son article.



Yep, I read that article and really enjoyed it. I have all the old OSN mags and many have mentions in Woodies history columns about A&S, but this article in OSR really pulled it all together and was written in a manner that really drew you in and made you want to learn more. Very sad.

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:57 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
bob turner wrote:I only knew Steve as a fellow doorstop aficionado. Pleasant guy.


Indeed and a person that I looked forward to talking with in Chicago - also was a fan of early trolley models and had brought a box of them to share with me last time in Chicago. Terrible loss.

Re: Sad day for O scale

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:23 am
by De Bruin
Agreed, first met him via Jim about five years ago at one of the SW meets in Ft Worth, a great guy to talk to, knew a lot about our hobby , all the interesting personalities therein etc..
Was looking forward to catching up with him at the SW meet in OKC in October.
Super good guy, this damn sure hurts.