Machine shop basic question
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:52 pm
I've got what might be silly questions, but I've spent some time looking around the net and haven't found a definitive answer yet. So I will ask here. And maybe other places as well.
A while back I bought a tool makers vise. At the time, I bought it primarily for use in holding and bending etched metal parts. Now that I'm also taking machining classes, I expect to use it for holding work on the mill as well.
My question regards cleaning the vise before re-lubricating the lead screw. The vise came coated in a light oil, pretty much all over. I have a spray on degreaser to use to cut the oil. The question is, do I simply wipe down the vise to remove the degreaser? I feel pretty confident that I don't put the whole unit under the tap to rinse it off! Additionally, is it okay to remove the movable jaw for cleaning and wiping down? I'm concerned that accuracy will be affected when I reattach the jaw, although the fixed jaw is really what dictates accuracy. However, the movable jaw has vee's for holding round stock, so it might have an effect on parallelism.
Lastly, I know to oil the lead screw. But should I place any film of oil on the bed of the vise, for the movable jaw to slide on?
The internet says degrease it, and re-lubricate it, in general terms. I can't find answers to the specific questions.
Thanks for any help,
Jim
A while back I bought a tool makers vise. At the time, I bought it primarily for use in holding and bending etched metal parts. Now that I'm also taking machining classes, I expect to use it for holding work on the mill as well.
My question regards cleaning the vise before re-lubricating the lead screw. The vise came coated in a light oil, pretty much all over. I have a spray on degreaser to use to cut the oil. The question is, do I simply wipe down the vise to remove the degreaser? I feel pretty confident that I don't put the whole unit under the tap to rinse it off! Additionally, is it okay to remove the movable jaw for cleaning and wiping down? I'm concerned that accuracy will be affected when I reattach the jaw, although the fixed jaw is really what dictates accuracy. However, the movable jaw has vee's for holding round stock, so it might have an effect on parallelism.
Lastly, I know to oil the lead screw. But should I place any film of oil on the bed of the vise, for the movable jaw to slide on?
The internet says degrease it, and re-lubricate it, in general terms. I can't find answers to the specific questions.
Thanks for any help,
Jim