Page 1 of 1

Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 pm
by E7

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:45 pm
by bob turner
Wow! My friend Bud had three of these! Nice, but not that nice.

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:46 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
I'd rather just take cash in small denominations, :wink: :wink:

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:58 pm
by ScaleCraft
Wonder what exactly is a "Presidentail Car".

Tail end car?

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:55 pm
by E7
bob turner wrote:Wow! My friend Bud had three of these!


Why?

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:15 pm
by ScaleCraft
E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:Wow! My friend Bud had three of these!


Why?

prolly one for each of his favorite Presidentails?

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:35 pm
by E7
ScaleCraft wrote:
E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:Wow! My friend Bud had three of these!


Why?

prolly one for each of his favorite Presidentails?


Mebbe so! I did read somewhere which ones had used that car. I don't think any of recent vintage.

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:44 pm
by Chris Webster
E7 wrote:Mebbe so! I did read somewhere which ones had used that car. I don't think any of recent vintage.
I think Reagan used it during the 1984 campaign. I remember Mondale had a line about Reagan stealing Teddy's train.

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:19 pm
by bob turner
Theodore, Truman, and I think Reagan. The real one is in Miami or thereabouts. The interior was accurate in the models, I think.

As to "why" - did you miss my thread alluding to the absolute craziness of any of this?

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:32 pm
by rogruth
bob turner wrote:Theodore, Truman, and I think Reagan. The real one is in Miami or thereabouts. The interior was accurate in the models, I think.

As to "why" - did you miss my thread alluding to the absolute craziness of any of this?

I think it was F.D.R.

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 pm
by J. S. Bach
Ike used it also.

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 pm
by GreggL
It's a very well done brass model. I have the Truman era 2R version, and also had the 3R version when I was in that frame of mind. That price is way high - I got my 2R version from Jack McGarry a couple of years ago and it had never been opened and still had the original sealed Ajin wrapper for considerably less. They come up about once a year or so for sale in the $700-900 range.

The prototype was built by Pullman in 1928 as a series of 6 private cars for general service. FDR generally traveled in a standard Pullman, but after WWII broke out, the White House in 1942 felt he should travel in a secure car. They pulled the Ferdinand Magellan from general service and converted it - armor plating, poured concrete floor, a submarine escape hatch in the roof, etc. Roosevelt used it extensively, frequently traveling to his home in Hyde Park. Upon FDR's death, Truman inherited it and used it a lot, but preferred faster travel so he got an airplane. The iconic Truman "defeat" photo was taken on this car's rear platform at STL Union Station. Ike used it a bit, then the car was given to the Gold Coast Museum in Florida. In 1984, the car was taken to Wash DC for a private car excursion and to be inspected by the National Park Service for designation as a national landmark. GCRM contacted the Reagan administration to see if he would like to travel on it - he took them up on the offer and used it for a one day trip during his campaign.

Basic details from the National Park Service https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/presidents/us_car_number_one.html.

US-1 as the Magellan was known when in governmental, was always accompanied by a secure White House communications car. There were a couple of these; the last one SC-1, the Gen Albert J Myer, was imported in brass by Scott Mann late last year. The Myer car was a converted US Army hospital car; Scott also imported a couple of these at the same time.

...gregg

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:24 pm
by bob turner
Roger is correct - Fanklin, not Theodore. And yes, Eisenhower too.

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:14 am
by E7
GreggL wrote:It's a very well done brass model. I have the Truman era 2R version, and also had the 3R version when I was in that frame of mind. That price is way high - I got my 2R version from Jack McGarry a couple of years ago and it had never been opened and still had the original sealed Ajin wrapper for considerably less. They come up about once a year or so for sale in the $700-900 range.


Agreed, or maybe I should just say GREED in relation to the priceof the car in the link! I recall seeing quite s few when I first was looking for an observation or business car to end up a "heavyweight" train. I too thought/think they are well done and an attractive car, but they were a bit too "recognizable" for what I wanted ("generic"). Thanks for the great write up.

GreggL wrote:The prototype was built by Pullman in 1928 as a series of 6 private cars for general service. FDR generally traveled in a standard Pullman, but after WWII broke out, the White House in 1942 felt he should travel in a secure car. They pulled the Ferdinand Magellan from general service and converted it - armor plating, poured concrete floor, a submarine escape hatch in the roof, etc. Roosevelt used it extensively, frequently traveling to his home in Hyde Park. Upon FDR's death, Truman inherited it and used it a lot, but preferred faster travel so he got an airplane. The iconic Truman "defeat" photo was taken on this car's rear platform at STL Union Station. Ike used it a bit, then the car was given to the Gold Coast Museum in Florida. In 1984, the car was taken to Wash DC for a private car excursion and to be inspected by the National Park Service for designation as a national landmark. GCRM contacted the Reagan administration to see if he would like to travel on it - he took them up on the offer and used it for a one day trip during his campaign.

Basic details from the National Park Service https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/presidents/us_car_number_one.html.

US-1 as the Magellan was known when in governmental, was always accompanied by a secure White House communications car. There were a couple of these; the last one SC-1, the Gen Albert J Myer, was imported in brass by Scott Mann late last year. The Myer car was a converted US Army hospital car; Scott also imported a couple of these at the same time.

...gregg

Re: Or you could have 3.325 Bethgons

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:26 am
by E7
bob turner wrote:As to "why" - did you miss my thread alluding to the absolute craziness of any of this?


The "why" was not really a question, but meant to emphasize a lot of the silliness that goes on within the hobby. That's not meant to be an attack on anyone, just recognition of some of the obsessive compulsiveness that goes on, and I am NOT excluding myself from the mix......but I don't have a hanger full of stuff! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most likely because I do not own a hanger. :mrgreen: