Page 1 of 2
Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:07 pm
by 2railjon
Yes or no?


Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:07 pm
by bob turner
No, but that is a personal choice. I love the grey with orange stripes, though, and have decals ready.
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:16 am
by cole7015
bob turner wrote:No, but that is a personal choice. I love the grey with orange stripes, though, and have decals ready.
Fwiw they are yellow stripes.
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:31 am
by up148
They hide a lot of great smoke box detail, so I've never been a fan of lifters on Challengers. The only Challenger to retain them permanently was 3967 IIRC. Now, on 800's, that's a different story.
\BH
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 am
by E7
Looks better to me without, but if they "clip" on, put them on 1/2 the day and off the other 1/2. Keeps everyone happy.

Niagara? Definitely with smoke lifters!
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:12 am
by 2railjon
Definitely on the Niagara!

Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:40 pm
by up148
Definitely! Certain locos just require smoke lifters.
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:43 pm
by 2railjon
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:10 pm
by rex desilets
Nice photos.
As much as I worship the Pennsy's M-1 class locos, the last-model NYC Mohawk with lifters is the prettiest of all. Nothing else compares.
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm
by 2railjon
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 am
by E7
There was a really great shot of the real loco that Sunset used in their ads. Has a real interesting angle of the Elesco feedwater heater.
Why Jon, could that be catenary I see there in the background?
Rich
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:14 am
by 2railjon
“Why Jon, could that be catenary I see there in the background?”
I’m getting there! I need to order some more Type 2-0 wire to finish it!

Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:34 am
by E7
Forgot to say: "Lookin' good!"
Rich
Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am
by 2railjon
So just for learning purposes, if I decided to make a set of smoke lifters from sheet brass how do cut it without bending up the metal? I’m guessing a band saw but that’s a hefty investment.
$319 from Micro Mark and it looks kinda flimsy.

Re: Smoke Lifters On A Challenger?
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:43 am
by E7