Page 1 of 4
George Kohs posting
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 am
by cole7015
Interesting listing about George Kohs. over on the OGR forum, North Korean forum.
Interesting read will see how long it will last.
Bill
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:26 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
Saw that yesterday and wondered about the lack of any responses then......working on caring and failing miserably,

Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:37 am
by 2railjon
I remember George went out of his way to send me parts for a Smithsonian Dreyfus I had purchased free of charge. Darn nice of him.
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:02 pm
by hibar
The "great race" is on Key or Kohs for first to bring in the ultimate 1/4" scale model "Big Boy" there is no second place, with current pricing [ck Keys Cab forward pricing]the deep pocketed collectors will have had there fill, if I had to pick I would go with Key, both these importers are old timers today and the clock is winding down. JMO
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm
by E7
hibar wrote:The "great race" is on Key or Kohs for first to bring in the ultimate 1/4" scale model "Big Boy" there is no second place, with current pricing [ck Keys Cab forward pricing]the deep pocketed collectors will have had there fill, if I had to pick I would go with Key, both these importers are old timers today and the clock is winding down. JMO
I recall reading somewhere that the Key CF's were $7500. If you look on the Kohs website, the tab for his Big Boy is $6000. No pricing that I could find on the Key website, but there is a reservation form. (I guess if you have to know the price, you can't afford io reserve it.
Considering the price of the cab forward, i'm guessing the BB will be more, so at 6K the Kohs version would seem to be a bargain. (relatively speaking)
When either will show up, nobody knows, but they eventually probably will!
Rich
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:22 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
E7 wrote:When either will show up, nobody knows, but they eventually probably will!
Perhaps a more important question might be given the time frame it apparently takes to deliver these models is whether the customers will even be there to take delivery.
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:21 am
by E7
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:E7 wrote:When either will show up, nobody knows, but they eventually probably will!
Perhaps a more important question might be given the time frame it apparently takes to deliver these models is whether the customers will even be there to take delivery.
A VERY pertinent observation. You can turn that one around and ask will Dave DeVita and George Kohs be around in 7 years, or whatever it takes to get them built. I don't know their ages, but they are not young men.
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
E7 wrote:Rufus T. Firefly wrote:E7 wrote:When either will show up, nobody knows, but they eventually probably will!
Perhaps a more important question might be given the time frame it apparently takes to deliver these models is whether the customers will even be there to take delivery.
A VERY pertinent observation. You can turn that one around and ask will Dave DeVita and George Kohs be around in 7 years, or whatever it takes to get them built. I don't know their ages, but they are not young men.
Also true. The entire era may be a moot point and on the verge of closure.
There are also herds of malevolent buses out there just waiting and stalking the unsuspected - things happen.....
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:57 am
by E7
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:There are also herds of malevolent buses out there just waiting and stalking the unsuspected - things happen.....
Greyhound or Continental Trailways?

Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:39 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
E7 wrote:Rufus T. Firefly wrote:There are also herds of malevolent buses out there just waiting and stalking the unsuspected - things happen.....
Greyhound or Continental Trailways?

Those express ones up and back from NYC on 95,

Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:54 pm
by 2railjon
To me the salad days of new brass with competitive pricing from various manufacturers is pretty much over. When older Williams and Weaver brass on eBay are hitting over $850 it’s a sign to me the market has dried up and dogs are now fighting over the scraps. Even the O Scale Yard Sale isn’t what it used to be for finding a deal. My observations are for 2 Rail brass only as 3 Rail brass is still pretty reasonable in price.
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:41 am
by up148
To my knowledge (very good source) KEY has postponed the BB until the KOH's is delivered. Key may never happen.
Both Dave and George are getting pretty old, as we all are. Losing a $300 deposit (KEY) for any reason is one thing....losing thousands (KOH's) is another. I don't buy anything anymore and have sold off all but a couple of special (to me) locos, so I have no horse in this race any longer.
BH
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:40 am
by E7
NO Big Boys in my future. Can't afford the money, can't do the wait, not really interested in that Locomotive.
That said the 6K price on the website sounds good in comparison to the $7500 Key CF, but it is still FAR FAR above my pocketbook.
Rich in name only

Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm
by bob turner
I wasn't interested either - way too long. But then a pile of Lobaugh Challenger fragments dropped into my lap - one of the boilers had been attacked in a rather unskillful manner with a Dremel.
I am sure there are major differences, but all I saw were a longer firebox and lower sand domes. Well, I did need two more drivers and side rods . . .
Under $200. No motor.
Re: George Kohs posting
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 pm
by bob turner
Man. Deadsville again.

- 4004 b.jpg (800.04 KiB) Viewed 9508 times