Page 1 of 1

Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 pm
by 2railjon
Is there something special about this that I should be aware of??
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4166082408

It’s actually priced higher than Lionel Smithsonian Passenger cars sold separately.
I’ve got a couple GGD Heavyweight Undecorated Pullman’s i was thinking of offering on EBay for $75 plus shipping. Should I jack my price up to say 375? :D

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 pm
by RDSRR
2railjon wrote:Is there something special about this that I should be aware of??


It's got big fancy couplers?

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:11 pm
by De Bruin
Jon, it's a cool model, having some cachet across multiple manufacturers and even the occasional built kit on d'bay, in my view because of very nice upper berth sleeper windows detail.
That said here, I think the seller’s price is driven by the 3-rail world’s desire to “collect them all”
This is not even the best work GGD has done; I believe it’s a part of their earlier production that still employed the Lionel-like end caps and therefore not really comparable to finer versions of this plan# by importers like Precision, and only slightly better than well-built ALW or the even the BCM’s.
Opinion, GGD has learned a lot since they did this series.

But given it’s all a limited run, and that the post war Century is a very popular train with a lot of 1’48’ers, I would not be surprised if a 3-rail collector or NYC fan went for it at this price if it was missing from their collection.

All opinion.

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:15 am
by E7
De Bruin wrote:But given it’s all a limited run, and that the post war Century is a very popular train with a lot of 1’48’ers, I would not be surprised if a 3-rail collector or NYC fan went for it at this price if it was mssing from their collection. All opinion.


I believe Pete pretty much nailed it. I think they came out circa 2009, numbers made per orders. A die hard 3-railer would want the lobster claws, and I believe the Smithsonian cars were all 2 rail. If you read the sellers description, the actual transaction might have involved most anything. Just a personal observation/opinion, but from what I see, among the Eastern stuff the 20th Century is most popular.

Rich

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 am
by Chris Rock
Another Golden Gate car, 10-6 48 Broadway Limited sleeper, went through the roof last night. It went for $440.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Line-Item-K4 ... 3651137295

At the Strasburg show a few weeks ago there was an 8 car set of Golden Gate 37 Century cars for $1,050. Very nice. It seemed like a good price but I don't think they sold.

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:29 pm
by rex desilets
Sort of astonished by the final price on the GGD B'Way car. A couple hunnert is about right. Anyways, i have all eight cars. My fortune is made :mrgreen:
On the NYC set..$1050 for eight cars is OK but not great..surprised no one bought them.

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:01 pm
by 2railjon
$1050 for 8 cars is a nice price!!

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:41 pm
by bob turner
Aren't they up to $350 each or so brand new?

I am lusting for a Skytop, but just assumed it would be a $3000 purchase for eight cars . . .

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 pm
by rex desilets
bob turner wrote:Aren't they up to $350 each or so brand new?

I am lusting for a Skytop, but just assumed it would be a $3000 purchase for eight cars . . .
Quite possibly.
I suppose you could sell your aeroplane.. :lol:

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:55 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
bob turner wrote:Aren't they up to $350 each or so brand new?

I am lusting for a Skytop, but just assumed it would be a $3000 purchase for eight cars . . .


Apparently not. Of course making assumptions is fraught with danger.