Page 1 of 1

NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:57 am
by E7
NJ (Nick and Jack's) Custom Brass

A subject I am NOT all that familiar with. I will list the Locos I am aware of in the second post in this topic. If anyone cares to add to my very short list, post to this topic, and I will add it to my original list!

Any Miss steaks, let me know even though I hardly ever make them! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any suggestions, let me know so I can ignore them! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich

PS: I am going to let the cars until we see how badly I mangle this.

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:04 am
by E7
NJ CUSTOM BRASS LOCOMOTIVES

Steam
C&O H-4...2-6-6-2
GN L-1...2-6-6-2
NYC NE2...2-6-6-2
PRR T1 Buick front
PRR T1 plain front


Electric

GN Y-1
Milwaukee Road Bipolar
PRR B1 Rats (2)
PRR GG1

Diesel

ALCO RS-1
ALCO RS-3
ALCO S-1
ALCO S-2
ALCO FA-1 + B

BALDWIN RF-16 Shark Nose

EMD E8
EMD GP-30

GE 44 Tonner

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:13 am
by 2railjon
Rich,
Here’s a link to everything NJ imported in O Scale:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/ ... 15?page=4&

I sure would love a bi-polar and a T1!!

Image

Image

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 am
by sarge
If they think that's everything, they are a bit remiss.

Missing off the top of the head are the 1000hp Alco S-classes, the RS1, an RS3, a set that is FA1 and FB rather than two A-units. I don't know what they are thinking of with all the NYC cabooses because they don't differentiate on their list, but there should be but four, a bay-window, a 19000, and the two versions of the 20000 car. I know they aren't locos, but the NYC milk cars and express reefer, a PRR B60 and an R50 are missing as well.

The milk cars are a fun story. The real ones had two different door styles, some built with hinged doors and some with sliders. The NYC general arrangement drawing shows both, so the builder dutifully put the slider on one side of the model and the hinged door on the other. They fixed that on the second run of them at the same time they added the express reefer version of that basic car, so the first run could be had cheap. I'd buy them, paint them and put different numbers on each side; no-one knew the difference on operating nights. I also did a couple with the hinged door side lettered Rutland and the slider for NYC.

It looks like its just a list of what has passed through their hands rather than a comprehensive list so I'm sure there will be more after my memory is exhausted here.

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:29 am
by 2railjon
Thanks for the correction, Sarge! Im sure you’re correct that the items on Brass Trains list are what’s come through their inventory. It’s still pretty cool of them to make a roster available. I want one of those misfit milk cars now!!!

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:57 am
by E7
Thanks Jon! I forgot about those listings....a lot of senior moments these days! :mrgreen:

Sarge, HO is king over there, and "O" the poor peasant. If they get an "O" scale item on consignment, they will stick it their "O" listing, but it is not a great fount of information for the scale, which is one of the reasons i forgot to look there.

Rich

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:25 pm
by De Bruin
Didn't NJ do a Baldwin Centipede as well? I recall one running on the old DFW portable layout at the General Dynamics fall show in Ft Worth wherein the nose of the un-insulated carbody would periodically dip low enough to ground on the full length track frame chassis, sending a large green circular flash down the length of the carbody, sort of an O scale version of "St.Elmos Fire" in appearance.

That lasted off and on for about five minutes and then the motor fried out.

On another note, while not locomotives but certainly powered didn't NJ offer the MP-54's and both a PRR Brill and Erie gas-electrics?

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:42 pm
by R.K. Maroon
De Bruin wrote:Didn't NJ offer the MP-54's?


Indeed, there is one on eBay now:

NJCB MP-54.JPG
NJCB MP-54.JPG (26.93 KiB) Viewed 9139 times

Listing is here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-Gauge-Brass-2-Rail-Custom-Brass-PRR-MP-54-Coach-891-PWR-873-Nonpowered-C-P/254184089779

.

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm
by E7
If anyone wants to jump in and start ANOTHER thread on the cars, I will NOT be offended , be my guest.

Rich

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:39 pm
by sarge
Rich, under "steam" add the NYC NE2 2-6-6-2. Under "Diesels" take off one of your RS1 and add the Alco S1 and S2

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:41 pm
by E7
Thanks! Will do.

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:36 pm
by bob turner
Is the quality there? I looked at a Bi-Polar some years back at $300, and figured it wasn't worth parking on my layout - it was so light I figured it would" lift off" some day.

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 am
by E7
bob turner wrote:Is the quality there? I looked at a Bi-Polar some years back at $300, and figured it wasn't worth parking on my layout - it was so light I figured it would" lift off" some day.


Ask Maroon....he's had 3 of them.

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:08 pm
by prrjim
I had an S3 switcher that was NJCB and I am pretty sure they also did an S4. My buddy wanted the S3 so I traded him
for an NJCB S1. I still have the S1 and an RS1 and both run fine.

The S Switchers, Baldwin Sharks, RS1 and RS3 all had All Nation mechanisms At least all the ones I have seen. Mechanically very sound and parts were available new for many years.

I have been told that the RS3 is really and RS2, I don't know the difference.

Re: NJ CUSTOM BRASS

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:27 am
by J. S. Bach
De Bruin wrote: ...snip... On another note, while not locomotives but certainly powered didn't NJ offer the MP-54's and both a PRR Brill and Erie gas-electrics?

Yes, I have four (all lettered/numbered for the Bedford Terminal) and my friend Tom has four properly painted/lettered/numbered for PRR. He also has one Custom Brass MPB-54 combine not yet painted/lettered/numbered. At a meeting of a local south Florida modular O club some years ago, Nick of NJ Custom Brass was there and when I asked about them, he told me that 100 MP-54 sets were made and 50 MPB-54s were made.