Page 1 of 1

I didn't know that General Models..........

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm
by herronpeter
............made steam engines!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASS-O-SCALE- ... 5486&rt=nc

But then it is eBay.................................

Peter

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:44 pm
by bob turner
Really? They are among the most common doorstops. The Varney Ten-Wheeler was the progenitur, followed by the similar 4-4-0, and then the Atlantic, Pacific, Mountain, and very strange 2-6-6-4. In later years, when it was All Nation, they had a lead-boilered Prairie, or Mogul, or something. The entire line became Babbitt.

Madison, Ala, is close to where I learned to fly. Had no idea O Scale existed in that area. This seller might be a tad optimistic!

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:00 pm
by ScaleCraft
I have one of those...fully assembled, never run on track, needs to be painted.
Field wound motor, wires never soldered to anything.
345 plus shipping, huh? Geez, improve my retirement a bunch here.

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:36 pm
by bob turner
Mine have Lobaugh drivers. Rich at Chicagoland sold me one for $35.

Re: I didn't know that General Models..........

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Bob is correct on the history with one exception. The 4-4-0 was introduced by All Nation a few years after they acquired GMC out of bankruptcy. I don't have a scan of the A/N catalog that shows that nor a scan of the Mountain as it was introduced by GMC, but I do have these scans of the others from a 1948 GMC catalog.

GMC Pacific and (Varney) Ten-Wheeler.JPG
GMC Pacific and (Varney) Ten-Wheeler.JPG (84.1 KiB) Viewed 3013 times


GMC Atlantic.JPG
GMC Atlantic.JPG (74.14 KiB) Viewed 3013 times


Jim