While we were sleeping . . .
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
While we were sleeping . . .
NK had at least a couple of really interesting discussions about Amtrak and rail transit. Once they got going good they were locked, but still interesting.
I take it most of us have given up actual modeling for July. It is hot. Yesterday it got to 106 degrees at the airport, but I had a giant 220 hp fan for a good part of the day. I have returned to a dirtbag Pearce Consolidation for this evening's entertainment.
I take it most of us have given up actual modeling for July. It is hot. Yesterday it got to 106 degrees at the airport, but I had a giant 220 hp fan for a good part of the day. I have returned to a dirtbag Pearce Consolidation for this evening's entertainment.
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
Yes real content on NK is discouraged.
I've finished my bench upgrade in the Temple of Radon (aka basement) and am setting up a long needed belt sander to work a variety of wood roofed Chester and BCM kits into approximate uniformity for the "Sunbeam" project.
On a different note, have been rubbing my eyeball on two Weaver Baldwin switchers. Compared to their other PRC offerings, these are remarkably well detailed with little or no cast on "zits." Opinion very nice models price-wise. Wish they'd done the RS-11 as well as these.
Typical drawback, both made my bench due to some really bad electrical harness issues not unlike my earlier FA project.
I'm getting why they left the business, yet once re-wired they're good runners though I agree with you on that vertical can (china) drive with regards to its finite operating life. Starting to see those issues now with those L&N E-units.
As an aside Bob, its distressing to see heat effect out there(and the damn north east too) between the fire and fatalities.
(Wish we knew why this is happening)
I've finished my bench upgrade in the Temple of Radon (aka basement) and am setting up a long needed belt sander to work a variety of wood roofed Chester and BCM kits into approximate uniformity for the "Sunbeam" project.
On a different note, have been rubbing my eyeball on two Weaver Baldwin switchers. Compared to their other PRC offerings, these are remarkably well detailed with little or no cast on "zits." Opinion very nice models price-wise. Wish they'd done the RS-11 as well as these.
Typical drawback, both made my bench due to some really bad electrical harness issues not unlike my earlier FA project.
I'm getting why they left the business, yet once re-wired they're good runners though I agree with you on that vertical can (china) drive with regards to its finite operating life. Starting to see those issues now with those L&N E-units.
As an aside Bob, its distressing to see heat effect out there(and the damn north east too) between the fire and fatalities.
(Wish we knew why this is happening)
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
My two on going projects are trying to get my 4-12-2 to stop derailing in curves

And 2 railing some Lionel Tank cars


And 2 railing some Lionel Tank cars

Running that red block Charlie.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
Well, whatever else, I am glad there is still life here.
Let me guess that a Sunset 9000 would need a 72" radius curve? My scratchbuilt barely makes it on 74".
Let me guess that a Sunset 9000 would need a 72" radius curve? My scratchbuilt barely makes it on 74".
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42162
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
2railjon wrote:My two on going projects are trying to get my 4-12-2 to stop derailing in curves
How tight are your curves, Jon?
Looks like the 2 center sets of drivers are blind?
And 2 railing some Lionel Tank cars
Not a lot of material there to work with,
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
My curves are 72” radius, and my Sunset negotiated the track fine after adjusting the springs on the front drivers. This is an MTH Model without sprung drivers. The drivers don’t have as much lateral movement as the Sunset Model so I purchased a wrench kit from Micro-Mark and loosened the bolts on the side rods. There seems to be better lateral play, so I’ll test it when I return from vacation. Sarge also had me order a track gage to make sure the drivers are in gauge. I bought the MTH Model because because it’s command controlled and kids enjoy the sounds. If interested I’ll keep you posted on progress.

MTH



Rufus, per Sarge I’ll add a solid rectangle of styrene that the coupler will be tapped into and then epoxy it to the under frame.
Here’s a mock up held on with a twist tie:


MTH



Rufus, per Sarge I’ll add a solid rectangle of styrene that the coupler will be tapped into and then epoxy it to the under frame.
Here’s a mock up held on with a twist tie:

Last edited by 2railjon on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Running that red block Charlie.
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42162
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
2railjon wrote:In interested I’ll keep you posted on progress.
Please do.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
The MTH has a way better sand dome than the Lionel. Some of these new die cast models are stunning.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
So here is what's going on with me, in between airport duties during this heat spell: First, the Pearce Consolidation - it will get slowly Erie-ized to match Maroon's fine example, which I shall share with you. I trust it is ok with him . . .
- Rufus T. Firefly
- Posts: 42162
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
- Location: To be Determined
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
2railjon wrote:Rufus, per Sarge I’ll add a solid rectangle of styrene that the coupler will be tapped into and then epoxy it to the under frame.
Seems a good plan.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
I have already moved the domes, and per Mitch's suggestion, normalized the rear tender truck location. It is no longer sniffing for peanuts, and tonight it gets running boards.
I ought to put this ugly Pacific over on the Ken Henry thread, but it is All Nation/Lobaugh/ misc, so best it go here: I have changed the sand dome and cab, and got it running sort of the other day, and figure it is time to make it a semi-credible model. We shall see . . .
I ought to put this ugly Pacific over on the Ken Henry thread, but it is All Nation/Lobaugh/ misc, so best it go here: I have changed the sand dome and cab, and got it running sort of the other day, and figure it is time to make it a semi-credible model. We shall see . . .
-
Chris Webster
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
That's the understatement of the year!De Bruin wrote:Yes real content on NK is discouraged.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: While we were sleeping . . .
So I decided to deviate a bit - not much - from Maroon's "Erie". I put boiler bands on, and the headlight stays where it is. It will be Duluth, Winnipeg, and Pacific, in honor of Jim Seacrest, who gave me the rusty fragments.
Here are some "in progress" shots. Still a bit of work to do. . .
Here are some "in progress" shots. Still a bit of work to do. . .
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests
