Page 1 of 3
And now for something completely different
Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 pm
by E7
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 pm
by 2railjon
They didn’t spare any expense on the detail. Not my cup of tea but very nice pieces.
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 pm
by E7
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 am
by Rufus T. Firefly
.
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 am
by rex desilets
Thought about bidding on the set, but it doesn't have enough cars, the livery is out of date, and the shipping cost is excessive.
Then I poured a stiff drink and decided I'd stay married.

Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 pm
by E7
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:E7 wrote:.......... I think they are a tad overpriced.
Maybe....... 4 cars and 2 engines that I admittedly know noting about running qualities, but that I have also never seen assembled before into a train. How common or scarce a set is this? What's the real demand for them?
Overpriced is based on the idea that I have seen the engines go for circa $1000-$1200. Give 2 of them top value at $2400 and that leaves $2600 for four cars, so $650 a pop, which is (I think) pricey. OTOH, find another set!
I've only seen one other set of cars (as best I recall) on Feebay and I don't remember the tariff, but I think it was up there pretty good. Not sure what the production numbers were, but I don't see the "O" scale ones that often. They were also made in HO and N scales. Can't speculate on the demand, though I think they make a nice looking train if you are into more modern stuff. As with ALL this stuff, it's obviously personal preference!
No idea what they went for new.
Rich
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 pm
by De Bruin
Actually Rich, when you itemize it out like that it indeed doesn't seem as bad. My initial reaction was good luck with that starting bid.
Neat set, anyone have any familiarity with the OMI P42 model's running characteristics ?
Another question, are these cars the only scale length Superliner models in 1:48, they're nice looking.
Note this is the seller's sole MR listing, appears to be primarily a jewelry dealer.
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:44 am
by E7
De Bruin wrote:Actually Rich, when you itemize it out like that it indeed doesn't seem as bad. My initial reaction was good luck with that starting bid.
Neat set, anyone have any familiarity with the OMI P42 model's running characteristics ?
Another question, are these cars the only scale length Superliner models in 1:48, they're nice looking.
Note this is the seller's sole MR listing, appears to be primarily a jewelry dealer.
Pete,
Reading your above post and thinking about the recent Key cab forward selling for $7500, I tend to agree with you. I'm guessing they ran/run OK because their builder, the late lamented Ajin Precision (now morphed into A Train) had been in the game quite a while by the time they were produced. I don't recall Overland's newer stuff getting much bad press, but I can't comment with any degree of veracity one way or another. That said, I agree with you, they are a good looking set. Sadly, I don't see the 5 grand materializing, so I won't be able to give a road test report. Not sure if anyone else did them, but I feel pretty safe saying these are likely the nicest.
Rich
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:04 pm
by Chris Webster
De Bruin wrote:Actually Rich, when you itemize it out like that it indeed doesn't seem as bad. My initial reaction was good luck with that starting bid.
Neat set, anyone have any familiarity with the OMI P42 model's running characteristics ?
No personal experience with OMI P42s, but I would expect them to run well based upon the OMI-0457 on the box end. OMI switched to tower drives somewhere around 0400, so an 0457 should have a tower drive in it.
De Bruin wrote:Another question, are these cars the only scale length Superliner models in 1:48, they're nice looking.
I think so, but Golden Gate did ATSF El Cap cars which are scale length and quite similar to Superliners (if you overlook all the detail differences.

)
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 pm
by Chris Webster
E7 wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amtrak-Superliner-by-Overland/153026216527?hash=item23a112c24f:g:yZUAAOSwMD5a~ayd
The item, a pair of Overland Amtrak P42s and four Overland Superliner cars, did not sell and was relisted.... four separate times. On the fourth relisting, two different bidders suddenly took interest and bid it up to $5600, plus another $300 for shipping:
Ebay #153067056947, Amtrak Superliner by Overland
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:56 pm
by E7
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:59 am
by De Bruin
Kudos to the seller, the original asking at $5K doesn't seem that crazy now in light of that sales total.
Wow.
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:44 pm
by Chris Webster
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 pm
by E7
Re: And now for something completely different
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:04 pm
by ScaleCraft
Interesting.
First offering shows "zero" bids at 5K. No history of any bids.
Conspiracy theory.....shills or big-bucks buyers backed out when reality set in?