MMW SD45

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: MMW SD45

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:26 pm

E7 wrote:I was hoping Chris W. might have weighed in somewhere along the way
I checked out one of the new Lionel SD45s during an Open House on Black Friday. The Lionel shell, from the side sills up, looked to me like it was an O-scale version of the HO Kato SD45. That Kato model came out about 20 years ago, so it is no longer state of the art. Furthermore, Bachmann, Proto-2000 and ScaleTrains have all released their own plastic HO Scale SD45s. The detailing on ScaleTrain's HO Scale "Rivet Counter" SD45 blows away the detailing on the Lionel and the other HO scale models.

That ScaleTrains HO SD45 sells for $275 (with sound and DCC), the Lionel is going for $600-$700 on eBay and the used Oriental (from 20+ years ago, without sound or DCC) sells for $1,356, if you can find one.

I guess the lesson here is that a rational person who wants to model a railroad with SD45s you should do so in HO..... but model railroading isn't the most rational use of time. :D

User avatar
rex desilets
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:18 pm

Re: MMW SD45

Postby rex desilets » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:37 pm

"but model railroading isn't the most rational use of time. "

Wait! What? Now you tell us?! :roll:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

E7
Posts: 7026
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: MMW SD45

Postby E7 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Chris Webster wrote:I checked out one of the new Lionel SD45s during an Open House on Black Friday. The Lionel shell, from the side sills up, looked to me like it was an O-scale version of the HO Kato SD45. That Kato model came out about 20 years ago, so it is no longer state of the art. Furthermore, Bachmann, Proto-2000 and ScaleTrains have all released their own plastic HO Scale SD45s. The detailing on ScaleTrain's HO Scale "Rivet Counter" SD45 blows away the detailing on the Lionel and the other HO scale models.

That ScaleTrains HO SD45 sells for $275 (with sound and DCC), the Lionel is going for $600-$700 on eBay and the used Oriental (from 20+ years ago, without sound or DCC) sells for $1,356, if you can find one.


When my interest in trains was rekindled (first signs of senility?) I decided to go 2R, and in doing so, that I would buy ONLY 2R to support that side of the hobby. Over on the other board, people are always p*ssing and moaning "I can't find this" or "So and So is NOT making that". I often wonder how much, if any difference it would make if we all followed suit.

Chris Webster wrote:..... but model railroading isn't the most rational use of time. :D


I've been involved in other hobbies where I thought some of the devotees were a few bricks short of a full load, but none come close to we who are involved in this one, and take note that I said WE!

Thanks for your insights Chris. I find you to be one of the more rational here (relatively speaking, that is!) :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo Possum

Chris Webster
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Re: MMW SD45

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Chris Webster wrote:MMW's price doesn't seem so high when compared to this Oriental SD-45 that recently sold on ebay for $1,356.00:
Ebay #233425829897, Oriental EMD SD-45 3600 HP LOW HOOD STANDARD SP SOUTHERN PACIFIC 1208 62X15 1208

Same observation as last month, applied to this Oriental SD45T-2 that just sold on ebay for $1,110.95:
Ebay #233452684627, SSW SD 45T-2 3600 HP COTTON BELT 9158 LETTERED UNIT ORIENTAL LIMITED SD-45T 1205

E7
Posts: 7026
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: MMW SD45

Postby E7 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:53 pm

Not to seem adversarial and purely for the sake of discussion, why do you say that? I have no interest or lust for any of these models (Oriental, OMI, MMW) other than maybe a quick flip to make a few bucks, so I haven't taken the time to study if they are good , bad, or indifferent, in the eyes of someone who is knowledgeable regarding the prototype, and is looking to acquire one.

What I see is a pent up demand for them from folks that don't want to pay the tariff/or wait for the MMW version. As best I recall, the price of the MMW was north of 3K, not to mention the "premium" version.

One selling point for the MMW would be Erik's drive which I've heard (from someone who would know), is one of the best out there. To give a little "press" to our friend Jay's drive, which also looks pretty sweet, be interesting to see a comparison of the two.

There were 20 bidders between the 2 auctions so some (obviously) think they are worth the price.
"We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo Possum

User avatar
sarge
Posts: 4454
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Dungfield Manor

Re: MMW SD45

Postby sarge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:06 am

Deleted as pointless

:roll:
Last edited by sarge on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Offence" is the opiate of the humourless.

E7
Posts: 7026
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: MMW SD45

Postby E7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:41 am

*
Last edited by E7 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo Possum

bob turner
Posts: 11411
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: MMW SD45

Postby bob turner » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 am

Time for more pictures. Of anything. If it helps, I agree with all the above.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24258
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: MMW SD45

Postby rogruth » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 am

bob turner wrote:Time for more pictures. Of anything. If it helps, I agree with all the above.

Bob, I agree with you. :)
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

up148
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:52 am

Re: MMW SD45

Postby up148 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 pm

More photos is always good.

Something that has always caused curiosity for me is the protracted production time on models the past couple of decades. 5-6-7-8 years to produce a model and several years after it goes into production. Something just doesn't add up in my mind.

How in the world was OMI able to be so prolific during the 70's and 80's in both O and HO? The man must have never slept or stopped.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24258
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: MMW SD45

Postby rogruth » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:21 pm

up148 wrote:More photos is always good.

Something that has always caused curiosity for me is the protracted production time on models the past couple of decades. 5-6-7-8 years to produce a model and several years after it goes into production. Something just doesn't add up in my mind.

How in the world was OMI able to be so prolific during the 70's and 80's in both O and HO? The man must have never slept or stopped.

I think that buyers paying BIG money expect perfection.
Even the 3 R sellers have a bad time if some thing/anything is wrong. The complainers usually mention the cost of the product.
Part of the problem with this is not many can fix anything even if parts are available.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7
Posts: 7026
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: MMW SD45

Postby E7 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:39 am

Chris Webster wrote:
Chris Webster wrote:MMW's price doesn't seem so high when compared to this Oriental SD-45 that recently sold on ebay for $1,356.00:
Ebay #233425829897, Oriental EMD SD-45 3600 HP LOW HOOD STANDARD SP SOUTHERN PACIFIC 1208 62X15 1208

Same observation as last month, applied to this Oriental SD45T-2 that just sold on ebay for $1,110.95:
Ebay #233452684627, SSW SD 45T-2 3600 HP COTTON BELT 9158 LETTERED UNIT ORIENTAL LIMITED SD-45T 1205


Looking back through this "train wreck" of a thread, the problem is we are comparing items which exist to items which have yet to be made or sold, so it is all speculation. Maybe we should wait until the MMW models hit the street.

We're right back to 7 or 8 years ago when a guy named Rinear (sp?) touted the nonexistent MMW model to be the best diesel ever, and it's the same problem now. Unless things have changed, there are still NO production MMW models available, so how can we really discuss price, or quality, or anything else? That is MY opinion of all things MMW.

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

That definition is for those that think their opinions are fact and other peoples are fiction
"We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo Possum

User avatar
sarge
Posts: 4454
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Dungfield Manor

Re: MMW SD45

Postby sarge » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:48 am

E7 wrote:
Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

That definition is for those that think their opinions are fact and other peoples are fiction


Since that is aimed at me, so be it. I’ve tried to be civil, but it doesn’t work. When someone disagrees with your opinion, it doesn’t deny you your opinion as you seem to think, nor does it deny the rest of us ours as you seem to believe.

Since personal insult rather than reasoned discourse is then your fallback, I’m not walking on eggshells because you are here. I leave the field, and the venue, to you.

:roll: :roll:
"Offence" is the opiate of the humourless.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 5702
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Location: Floe Ice, Auntarctica

Re: MMW SD45

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:30 pm

Opinions are like axxholes. Everybody has one, and they all stink.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7
Posts: 7026
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: MMW SD45

Postby E7 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Brian, If I were out to insult you, I would have called you out by name.
"We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo Possum


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests