Doorstops - Cast Brass, Bronze, Aluminum

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
sleepmac

Re: Doorstops - Cast Brass, Bronze, Aluminum

Postby sleepmac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Bob, I like all your efforts. I especially like that Baldwin Sharknose.

Dan Weinhold
Lancaster, PA.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 pm

bob turner wrote:
Parmele.JPG

I have two of those, one is lettered for the D&IM!!
I used to have another that would pull a twenty car train on mostly head-end stuff. As I acquired another rpo, baggage, or whatever, a coach, diner, sleeper, or whatever would get cut off. Twenty cars seemed to be the reasonable limit, it would struggle some with twenty one and stall with twenty two. Note that the cars were a mix of Walthers, AN, one scratch-built WM business car, and who-knows what with a mixed bag of trucks underneath.
Last edited by J. S. Bach on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Bob,
I think "Talking to myself" is in reference to other two railers.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm

bob turner wrote:I shall attempt to keep this going. Here are Ken Krayer's fine doorstops. I note that, while the castings are really quite good, they cannot compare with those of the Erie-Built that I just got from a foundry in Pennsylvania.

OK: Here's a doorstop question for you (and Maroon or anyone else who would care to chime in): The Krayer castings are (from what I read in one of Maroon's OST columns) all marked Adams & Son. How much input did Krayer have in the casting process? Did he just ask Adams to make an Alco FA, or did he provide actual patterns/parts?

Then there is this beast:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0d/e1/4c/0de1 ... s-ohio.jpg

Take note of the headlight treatment (different from the standard FA) and the number board on top of the cab.

Maroon's friend Fred Bradley has a model with these features (#724 OST #81 p.27 ) with a large cylindrical light on the rear of the unit.

Did Mr Bradley (he is quite the craftsman) modify a standard Krayer unit, or did that one come from A&S that way?

You might have to send me some doorstop anti-venom Bob....I'm starting to LIKE some of these!

Maybe we could get some input from Mr. Bradley!

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:29 pm

bob turner wrote:Rich sent me this link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-IMPORTS-UN ... Sw7blbAGrf

He says this is pretty much the perfect nose for an E-7/8/9. I agree it looks good, but am uneasy about the brow above the windshield. EMD Bulldog noses are tough.

I don't perceive any problem there. Could it be that the LACK of grabs is affecting your perception?

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Hello all

Bob very nice Ken Krayer pieces ...... they are thin on the ground ...and the Shark is a ? casting ??? when made ??? thank you for posting

Fresh from the Indy show we have a MiLoco (sand-cast) Hudson .... matched up with a Miloco K4 (acquired last year ) ... 17/64ths... rocks .. Hudson is gleaming..appears to have never been painted or run ... Lee B Green displayed his trains at the Chicago World's Fair 1934 ... big catalog at the end of the year ...lots of ads 35 &36 ...announcement of dies-cast new line end of 36 ....... early 1937 ...Lee B Green is gone and name is changed to Mini -Scale manufactured by Congress Tool and Die .. with new die-cast line .
Cheers Carey

P_20180921_153030_LL.jpg
P_20180921_153030_LL.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 7121 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:02 pm

That's the way this should work. I don't want you gushing over my photos - I want to see comments and photos of others' doorstops. I am happy this afternoon.

Some years ago I pointed out the uneven Neanderthal ridge above the windshield to a true connoiseur, and he agreed. I don't care for Overland's PA windshield either. Lionel and Key got that right.

Now I shall stroll out to the storage area and check: I am almost positive the Ken Krayer units are marked Ken Krayer.

Edit: They say "Ken Craft, Meadville Pa" but in an adjacent spot they say "A&S".

On the Shark: Penn-Erie did the m in aluminum, along with certain U boats and the E44. All were marketed by Locomotive Workshop. My "Squaw Creek" is a Penn-Erie. I need to get a more recent photo, or find the one I took after I added those giant handrail stanchions.
Last edited by bob turner on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Rich, I'll take these one at a time:

E7 wrote:The Krayer castings are (from what I read in one of Maroon's OST columns) all marked Adams & Son

What we call the Krayer FA was sold by three companies: Ken-Kraft, Century Locomotive, and Pearce Tool. The Adams and Son mark does not appear on all models. The evidence leans to the conclusion that the A&S mark was found on the Ken-Kraft and probably the Century models, but not the Pearce Tool.

E7 wrote:How much input did Krayer have in the casting process? Did he just ask Adams to make an Alco FA, or did he provide actual patterns/parts?

I don't think we'll ever know, but it is easy to guess that some companies would provide their own patterns and others would have A&S make the patterns. Bob Stevenson has an extensive collection of A&S castings, most or all of which (probably) came from Henry Pearce. Most or all of those (probably) came from A&S. As such, there is (probably) a strong correlation between the patterns that Bob has and the patterns done by A&S. Patterns provided by customers may have very likely been returned to the customer. All just speculation, of course.

E7 wrote:Then there is this beast:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0d/e1/4c/0de1 ... s-ohio.jpg
Take note of the headlight treatment (different from the standard FA) and the number board on top of the cab.
Maroon's friend Fred Bradley has a model with these features (#724 OST #81 p.27 ) with a large cylindrical light on the rear of the unit.
Did Mr Bradley (he is quite the craftsman) modify a standard Krayer unit, or did that one come from A&S that way?

Fred did all the modifications himself. As I understand it, Fred built and painted the GM&O FAs not all that long ago -- I would guess in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Note also that I purchased this set from Fred several years ago. He advertised them on the O-Scale Yard Sale group and I responded. I did not know him, but when I found out he lived only 90 minutes north of Dallas I went to see him and we became fast friends. And, yes, I came home with a thin wallet and a wonderful set of FAs. Over the next few years I acquired most of the other GM&O models that Fred had. Note that he painted and sold some number of other GM&O models in the years before I met him. I have seen one but know there are others.

E7 wrote:Maybe we could get some input from Mr. Bradley

I am very sorry to report that Fred passed away just a couple of weeks ago. He was 84 and had been in declining health for a while. He was a great modeler and, I am fortunate enough to say, a very good friend.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Neat! I don't remember seeing this pair before. I have always liked the GMO Diesel paint scheme. I should re-post Harmon's PA here - it is a semi-doorstop, and he labored on it for decades.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the update, glad those FA's found a good home. Sorry to hear that Fred has passed on!

Bob,

I too like that GM&O paint scheme. Might have swayed my modeling choice had I seen it earlier. If you ever saw the movie "In The Heat OF The Night" a GM&O E7 has a starring role.

Rich

PS: Harmon's engine is far from a doorstop.....a killer piece!

Whatever happened to it, any idea?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 pm

My lack of focus allows me to be an absolute SP nut, a slobbering Pennsy freak, and the proud owner of a Seaboard Mountain. Soon I shall have an ACL purple and silver Geep. So GMO is always a possibility for my doorstop fleet. I was close once with two tone red on a PA, but I stripped it and made it Brunswick 5 stripe.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm

I expanded my interest to half the East coast figuring why deny yourself if you see something you really like, solely because it's not prototypical! Egads! :lol: :lol: :lol: This stuff is supposed to be fun! I guess I like them ALL.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Wow those FA-1's are fabulous.
Jim, sorry to hear about Fred; I did get to meet him many years ago at the DFW meets and he was truly an interesting, good fellow, not to mention a USAF pilot with an impressive service history you both recounted to me.
Very sad, despite his failing health, another great one gone.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 am

E7 wrote:I expanded my interest to half the East coast............... I guess I like them ALL.

Let's see some of yours!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:I expanded my interest to half the East coast............... I guess I like them ALL.

Let's see some of yours!

Alas, no digital cam or cell phone. :cry: Also have divested in quite a few because of health and other issues. This PC I'm pecking keys on is my one concession to high tech. I am mostly happy without any of it.
Last edited by E7 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”