Doorstops - Cast Brass, Bronze, Aluminum

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Doorstops - Cast Brass, Bronze, Aluminum

Postby bob turner » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 pm

B&O Fantasy - and maybe not so fantasy if I get new sides and paint - and shave the pilot for Rich:

B&O fantasy PA.JPG
B&O fantasy PA.JPG (886.92 KiB) Viewed 7093 times

Adams E-7  T&P 2.JPG
Adams E-7 T&P 2.JPG (989.3 KiB) Viewed 7093 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Rich sent me this link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-IMPORTS-UN ... Sw7blbAGrf

He says this is pretty much the perfect nose for an E-7/8/9. I agree it looks good, but am uneasy about the brow above the windshield. EMD Bulldog noses are tough.

Rich has been after me for a while about the passenger pilots. I have not done my own study of prototype photos (trust but verify) but I can assure all that these doorstops have really thick pilots, and can be shaved in a good belt sander (about ten minutes of work) to be in line with the nose angle, and still have a full 1/16" of brass left. I will do that to at least one, and submit a photo. But not today - I am going flying.

I had good intentions of looking at this thread and taking notes, so as to not repeat photos. Too lazy, so if any of the next group of photos are reprints, forgive me.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 pm

These are indeed doorstops, although quite finely detailed. At least they are by my definition, if you leave the sand out. Actually, the shell-cast model probably did involve some sand in the investment (tricky nomenclature - for our purposes the investment is just the plaster in which the wax or plastic is imbedded, then burnt out to make a cavity for the metal to be poured into).

The DRGW was my first attempt. MTH donated the body! They thought my project worthwhile - I hope they got their money's worth. It was shell-cast, after first having the interior walls thickened with wax sheets. Silicon bronze - some imperfections due to the foundry not understanding how important the details were.

The second was done by Dennis Mashburn using a vacuum flask (whatever that is), and we were successful only after sawing the original plastic body in half to fit the flask. This one was done in nickel silver, which tarnishes and must be polished now and then. What you see is a half-hearted attempt to polish it before the photo was taken. It runs, with Ajin gearboxes and Pittman motor. Its B unit is unpowered, and of silicon bronze. I have some Alclad "Stainless" paint, and may redo both units with new decals and paint. Not today; I am going flying.

So here are the doorstop metal MTH PAs for your Saturday entertainment. While you are observing my photos, I will be in a WWII biplane enjoying 76 degree weather in sunny Southern California, land of fruits and nuts. It is gorgeous here - tourists go home, but leave your daughters!

MTH Shell Cast 2.JPG
MTH Shell Cast 2.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 7057 times

MTH Lost Plastic 2.JPG
MTH Lost Plastic 2.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 7057 times

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Bob, Your link is toast, here is one that works (at least until the auction end):

Phototshop may be an easier/better way to "modify" your pilots.

Have fun in the sky.

Rich

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 pm

bob turner wrote:Rich sent me this link:

I had good intentions of looking at this thread and taking notes, so as to not repeat photos. Too lazy, so if any of the next group of photos are reprints, forgive me.

I, for one, have no problems in re-seeing photos. Repost as many as you want.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:36 pm

rogruth wrote:I, for one, have no problems in re-seeing photos. Repost as many as you want.

+1 here.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Yeah, but in the same thread? I don't want to be remotely like those guys who have to repeat others' posts multiple times. Never understood that.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:42 pm

You mean the guys that quote 500 lines of text, including 42 images, and then respond: OK! right underneath that original post! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm

bob turner wrote:These are indeed doorstops, although quite finely detailed. At least they are by my definition, if you leave the sand out. Actually, the shell-cast model probably did involve some sand in the investment (tricky nomenclature - for our purposes the investment is just the plaster in which the wax or plastic is imbedded, then burnt out to make a cavity for the metal to be poured into).

The DRGW was my first attempt. MTH donated the body! They thought my project worthwhile - I hope they got their money's worth. It was shell-cast, after first having the interior walls thickened with wax sheets. Silicon bronze - some imperfections due to the foundry not understanding how important the details were.

The second was done by Dennis Mashburn using a vacuum flask (whatever that is), and we were successful only after sawing the original plastic body in half to fit the flask. This one was done in nickel silver, which tarnishes and must be polished now and then. What you see is a half-hearted attempt to polish it before the photo was taken. It runs, with Ajin gearboxes and Pittman motor. Its B unit is unpowered, and of silicon bronze. I have some Alclad "Stainless" paint, and may redo both units with new decals and paint. Not today; I am going flying.

So here are the doorstop metal MTH PAs for your Saturday entertainment. While you are observing my photos, I will be in a WWII biplane enjoying 76 degree weather in sunny Southern California, land of fruits and nuts. It is gorgeous here - tourists go home, but leave your daughters!

MTH Shell Cast 2.JPG

MTH Lost Plastic 2.JPG

Like this?

OK!

snicker
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
bob turner wrote:These are indeed doorstops, although quite finely detailed. At least they are by my definition, if you leave the sand out. Actually, the shell-cast model probably did involve some sand in the investment (tricky nomenclature - for our purposes the investment is just the plaster in which the wax or plastic is imbedded, then burnt out to make a cavity for the metal to be poured into).

MTH Shell Cast 2.JPG

MTH Lost Plastic 2.JPG

Like this?

OK!

snicker

Dave,
You left out the photos. :( :lol: :lol: :lol:
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Like that. I didn't realize that management here even enabled such nonsense. NK has a "repeat all the above" button, and apparently when you push it a dog biscuit pops out.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:07 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:

MTH Shell Cast 2.JPG

MTH Lost Plastic 2.JPG

Like this?

OK!

snicker

Yep!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:23 pm

I shall attempt to keep this going. Here are Ken Krayer's fine doorstops. I note that, while the castings are really quite good, they cannot compare with those of the Erie-Built that I just got from a foundry in Pennsylvania.

Ken Krayer 002.jpg
Ken Krayer 002.jpg (1017.84 KiB) Viewed 6945 times

I have five of these - two GN and three brass, awaiting B&O colors. Only one is powered.

Ken Krayer.JPG
Ken Krayer.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 6945 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Talking to myself again, I see. That's ok; sometimes I walk into the garage and ask myself out loud "Why did I come here?" But it's not time to go to the airport just yet, so I hope I enjoy the following photos:

Sharknose.jpg
Sharknose.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 6920 times

Parmele.JPG
Parmele.JPG (890.26 KiB) Viewed 6920 times

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:22 pm

bob turner wrote:Talking to myself again, I see.

Just because the folks here are not gushing all over themselves about what you posted does not mean we are not looking.

Have always like that P&S boxcab.....and it's stuff like that that almost make me regret the limitations that I placed on my layout size.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”