DFW Portable Layouts -- Mainline and Traction

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
robert.

Re: DFW Portable Layouts -- Mainline and Traction

Postby robert. » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:26 am

I'm surprised you were able to find straight lumber. Homedepot and lowes only sell hockey stick shaped lumber. I spent an hour or more looking through their stuff Saturday. All i could find was 5 pieces of good stuff between both of them.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:30 am

robert. wrote:I'm surprised you were able to find straight lumber. Homedepot and lowes only sell hockey stick shaped lumber. I spent an hour or more looking through their stuff Saturday. All i could find was 5 pieces of good stuff between both of them.

Is that a PA thing or is that perhaps a Saturday issue and everything has been picked over during the week? I've been able to get some rather decent 1x6 stock fairly routinely here, but I'm there mid-morning during the week.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:01 pm

I left all this lumber on my porch overnight and it twisted more. There is no way I can make a frame to hold one inch foam flat. Our house does not have floor that support a carpet central RR. Thinking that an easy fix would be to build a flat surface was an error on my part. We have an 84 lumber down the street. Their lumber is a better quality and not much more in price. Makes you wonder how much lumber gets returned to HD. and Lowes?

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:16 pm

Lumber certainly isn't what it used to be, but you can find decent stock many times. These shorter pieces Jim is using and suggesting, are always straight and clear, but expensive. But, if you start with crap, that is most likely what you'll end up with. Pricing is what blows me away. I realize the day of the $2.49 8 ft 2 x 4 is way behind us, but $7-8-9 a stick is shocking.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:59 pm

robert. wrote:I left all this lumber on my porch overnight and it twisted more.

Probably not the best decision. I'll let hard wood lumber acclimate in the garage, but if it's a soft wood I'm using it right away.

...the day of the $2.49 8 ft 2 x 4 is way behind us, but $7-8-9 a stick is shocking.

When were they $2.49? Right now -> $4.42 at HD for fir and $3.48 for regular pine.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Birch plywood is 98$ a sheet. 2 years ago is was 45$. If edging is not important you can get much straighter results from plywood. I’m not sure what pine or fir plywood is a sheet, probably much cheaper than birch. If edges and faces aren’t critical pine or fir could be an option.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:27 pm

You mean rip the plywood into 1x4s for structure? I think that would work - what does good Poplar cost?

My layout is not portable - I used 2x4 studs, 3/8" plywood, and Celotex.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm

bob turner wrote:You mean rip the plywood into 1x4s for structure? I think that would work

Yes. I’m sorry I should have clarified. Rip it into whatever you think would suit your needs. I ripped it to 3-1/2” pieces. My layout is L girder construction built entirely in shop birch plywood.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:12 pm

I have a closed in porch with one radiator on it. I think this wood went crazy on its own. It no longer had the weight of a bundle on it. All the 5 foot pieces are fine. The 7 footers are a different story.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:49 am

robert. wrote:I have a closed in porch with one radiator on it. I think this wood went crazy on its own. It no longer had the weight of a bundle on it. All the 5 foot pieces are fine. The 7 footers are a different story.

I would agree with that. Not knowing what the moisture content is also going to be a predictor. This time of year humidity comes down and heat goes up, also factors. In the world of Chinese 2x4’s I’d pick through and find the straightest ones and hope for the best. FWIW, and depending on how you utilize the 2x4 I’d look for it straightness along the edge more so than the face.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:20 am

robert. wrote:I think this wood went crazy on its own.

Spontaneous insanity....... :roll: :roll:

Chinese 2x4’s

Nope. They are importing wood in from Sweden......bizarre as that may seem. I sold off my timber and it was cut this Fall. The market for timber is good, but I have no idea where our domestic timber / lumber is going. Mine was mainly poplar with some oak and maple scattered in the mix.

But using birch plywood is probably overkill vs. what's really needed. But I'll not be building any more layouts. And I have a shed with enough good oak real 2x4's to last my needs. And I could always head over to the Amish mill for wood, :wink: :wink:

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:06 am

Let's face it, trees are a resource that is being used up at a record pace. I know metal studs aren't very popular and I seldom see them used around here in home construction, but cutting down trees at the rate we are doing it, is going to have severe consequences. They might be considered a renewable resource is time is not factored in.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:31 am

When I'm really looking for good material I go to a lumber yard. I much prefer dealing with people that know what they're talking about and actually know the various grades of wood available. Last time I went I bought 700 BF of clear to molding grade Sugar Pine. Not yellow, white, or any of the other types of pine. I bought some yellow pine one time not really knowing about it. It's harder and heavier than the oak I have stashed away. Don't know what the hell I'll ever do with it.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Jay,

Yellow pine was used for flooring back in the day, particularly in the South.

Rich

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:50 pm

But using birch plywood is probably overkill vs. what's really needed.

It’s only overkill because you didn’t build yours that way. It’s simply an alternative to crooked lumber.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”