Page 1 of 1

Blog Updates, Southern E8 and Southern E7 Reviews

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:16 am
by DaveJfr0
All,

Just checking in. No real modeling since April. Just really haven't had time, but I have put on a bunch of blog posts of stuff I've worked on in April. I also had time to throw up a quick review of future work I will need to do on my Sunset E8's...

For the E8 review with photos:
http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/2017/06/2r ... 8s-by.html

For the rest of the blog, including a visit to Steamtown with photos. An Ipad mini 4 takes surprisingly good photos...I might never use a DLSR again.
http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

Just click older posts at the bottom of the page and you will make it to the 8 or so posts I threw up in May or use:
http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/2017/05/

Re: Blog Updates and Southern E8 Review

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 am
by Erik C Lindgren
Thanks nice job!

Re: Blog Updates and Southern E8 Review

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:23 am
by Robert
There was a lot of interesting content in your post Dave. Last time I visited Steamtown it was located in Bellows Falls, VT. That was in the 1960's during the pre-drivers license days of my youth.
You do fine job of reviewing products in my opinion...not a task many would do with such enthusiasm. I read your reviews even though the subject may not be a product I'd buy. Thanks for such an informative and enjoyable post.

Robert

Re: Blog Updates and Southern E8 Review

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm
by up148
Nice looking locos Dave. I know nothing about Southern E-8/9's so how correct are they. I sprung for some UP's and one "A" is good and the other has some issues I need to correct, but overall they are really sharp models.

One thing I noticed are the number boards. All the other roads I've seen (quite a few 2R and 3R) they're flush and fit well and although the mfg. punched square holes to install the round ended number boards into, the UP paint is the only one that shows gaps at the end allowing the difference in the shape of the hole to show. One of my boards was glued in with the board still sticking out 1/8th inch, so that will need to be corrected as well and one center windshield post has mold bulges that I'll need to sand down and do some paint touch up.

I think someone doesn't like UP at that factory. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BH

Re: Blog Updates and Southern E8 Review

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 pm
by De Bruin
Nice review of the E-8's. Appreciate the photos, especially the roof areas;
given the idiosyncrasies of the Southern's prototypes think these are pretty good for factory,
especially those tanks and piping, an excellent and distinct detail, though I also prefer the tuxedo scheme.

Re: Blog Updates and Southern E8 Review

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 am
by DaveJfr0
Pulling up an old post.

Did a quick out of box review on the Southern E7's that just came out from 3rd Rail.

https://davejfr0.blogspot.com/2019/12/2 ... odels.html

I did some other blog posts on various things that be found by clicking the sidebar on the right and looking at anything of interest.