Penn Erie (LWS)

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: Penn Erie (LWS)

Postby E7 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Nice to remember guys like Allan Wehrle and Chip Rovetta who left us way too soon. :cry:

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:11 pm

I couldn't decide whether to post this in the "doorstop diesel" thread or the "UP" thread, so I punted and looked up this old Penn-Erie thread.

Here is a Penn-Erie U50 from the Steve Neill auction:

There are two versions of this model. The originals were cast aluminum and sold directly by Penn-Erie. The others were a cast white-metal version sold by LWS. This is a Penn-Erie, the only one I have seen with my own eyes and only the second one I know of (The other appeared in the October and December 1969 issues of O Scale Railroading.

Very few of the Penn-Erie models I have seen are built and finished this well, and a lot of those are known to be the display models built and delivered by Penn-Erie for GE. This leads me to suspect that this one is a factory model as well. This one has a drive in it though, and I believe the drive is a Penn-Erie design, which makes me think this was built to order by Penn-Erie for a modeler, a service offered by them in the early-70s timeframe.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:02 pm

That is an exciting doorstop! Eight axles powered? I keep thinking about a die cast Veranda Turbine, but this one is actually better looking.
Can we assume you captured it?

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:28 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:Here is a Penn-Erie U50 from the Steve Neill auction:

Did Stout just get around to shipping it to you now?

I'm impressed that you recognized that as being a Penn-Erie -- I didn't! If I noticed it at all while browsing the auction, I probably thought to myself that's not an Overland and moved on to the next item.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:30 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:Here is a Penn-Erie U50 from the Steve Neill auction

Saw that and wondered just what it really was........

How about a picture of the underside?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Rock

Postby Chris Rock » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Good stuff. That Penn Erie model doesn't really look like it qualifies as a doorstop anymore.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Jim,
You say that you have seen very few of these models so I should assume few were made. ???
Also it seems to me that during this period after WW II models that were advertised just seemed to disappear.
I recall ads in the magazines from the late 1940s and later. What happened to these models? Are they still some
collections or did they just disappear?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:24 pm

A lot to respond to here:

bob turner wrote:Can we assume you captured it?

Yes, it was not inexpensive, so there was somebody other than me who was after it.

Chris Webster wrote:Did Stout just get around to shipping it to you now?

Yes. For some reason my order got lost in the shipping department at Stouts. I assumed it was just a delay for the holidays, but I finally checked on it and that broke it loose. I wasn't in a hurry, as I had to move out of my shop by the end of the year, and it was one less thing to fool with.

Chris Webster wrote:I'm impressed that you recognized that as being a Penn-Erie -- I didn't!

Stout included this photo of the front, and similar one of the back. The close-up view shows the cast construction (and the need for some coupler repair and touch-up paint):

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:How about a picture of the underside?

The castings used in these trucks match those that came with other Penn-Erie U-boats I have. However, I had never seen any powered this way before:

Chris Rock wrote:Good stuff. That Penn Erie model doesn't really look like it qualifies as a doorstop anymore.

I agree, Chris. One of my principal modeling goals is to be able to transform some of the other doorstops in my project queue to a similar quality. It's a challenge, but Pete's SCL U36B shows that it can be done:

rogruth wrote:You say that you have seen very few of these models so I should assume few were made. ???

That is correct, Roger. The display-model business drove much of what Penn-Erie did. Only the UP and the SP ordered the U50, so the display model order from GE was probably very small. These are sand cast so there is not much savings at the foundry in running off a lot more than were needed. My guess is that there might be ten of the aluminum versions. LWS did a second run in white metal. On announcing the model, LWS stated that they would have only a few for sale (I am guessing another ten). I have one complete LWS unit (now destined for SP, but in need of work) and another as a raw casting set (in need of much more work!). I have never seen any others.

rogruth wrote:Also it seems to me that during this period after WW II models that were advertised just seemed to disappear.
I recall ads in the magazines from the late 1940s and later. What happened to these models? Are they still some
collections or did they just disappear?

I have had a lot of doorstop diesels pass through my shop that were so poorly built or so worn out as to not be worth my time to resurrect them (especially with so many others in better condition). I found homes for the better of them and scrapped the others. I know that others are hiding in collections, some as kits (or, more likely, casting sets) and others in various states of disrepair. The most common two states are "half-built but never finished" or "built and finished but run to death". I would be embarrassed to tell you how many doorstop locomotives I own (many dozens), but I can tell you less than five percent arrived with a good finish and an operable drive.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:47 pm

That's a really nice looking doorstop. The screening and glazing really makes it look like a much later build or import even.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Jim,
Thanks for all the info.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:58 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:I do like Penn-Erie:

From left to right: two U33B's, one U30C, two U33C's and one U25C.

Here's an interesting model that recently sold:
Ebay #125785608609 - " Vintage O Scale Locomotive U-25B Custom Paint KTM-US Hobbies / Max Gray? 2 motor"

The listing includes a photo of the model's box and the label on that box says U25B, but I think the model is supposed to be a U23B. I think that because the nose is shorter than on the U25B and the radiator section doesn't have the wings that are present on the U33B.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:33 pm

Another nicely built and painted LWS U-boat recently sold on feebay:O 3 RAIL CHESSIE B30-7 ROAD# 8237 - WILLIAMS? WALTHERS? RED CABOOSE? - DETAILED
My apologies for not tipping you off about it prior to the auction end.

Seller also has a U30C for sale (Item #375289201552) that is on 3-rail trucks, but I'm not sure if that is an LWS or something else.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:35 pm

Wow, there's a huge selection of active bids for stuff I'd otherwise be jones-ing for .....
Shame on you Chris :wink:
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:18 am

Good eye, Chris. This is indeed a Penn-Erie unit. I have captured the pics from the ad:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7mdcf2m7olop3n8nntjmz/Penn-Erie-U33B-C-O-8237_01.jpg?rlkey=txx4pngkccybxqayl61hpj0s6&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jz8t4j6gjc7dmik4r08v8/Penn-Erie-U33B-C-O-8237_04.jpg?rlkey=s20on43u3yqi3b4liccnotrc3&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/90k9fl1vx84i4ae0sdbvu/Penn-Erie-U33B-C-O-8237_05.jpg?rlkey=byzuy75lszf49w6yzpbr45lsu&dl=0

The cab number corresponds to a C&O B30-7. but the model is a U33B. The B30-7 was GE's "Dash 7" follow-on to the U30B, but, as best I can tell, the B30-7 more closely resembled the U33B. There are some differences (cab windows, for instance), but it seems like a reasonable stand-in. The fact that it's unpowered (and nicely finished) raises the possibility that the unit was built by Penn-Erie as a presentation model for GE as a thank you to the C&O for its business. I know of no reliable way to tell, unless there is a known back story or a display stand. EIther way, I think the buyer got a bargain and perhaps a piece of history too.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:13 pm

Do we know if this one was pewter or aluminum? Not that it is a big deal; I have one of their models in pewter, and it is quite satisfactory, if heavy.
While I am here, I am really impressed with Pete's paint on that Milwaukee Pullman. Beautiful work, and beautiful model.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”