Machine Shop / Locomotive Drive Work

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Machine Shop / Locomotive Drive Work

Postby bob turner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:18 pm

Look at the size of that building! Do we see another major O Scale layout about to be created?
In contrast, my little kitchen shop is now so overwhelmed by tools, parts, and little scraps of brass that it is difficult to even park a PA there, let alone cut some windows.
But nevertheless, before heading to the airport today, I am cutting PA windows! Onward!
Wish I could paint like those HO artists.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:25 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:they finally poured the pier-and-beam foundation last week

Are the piers necessary because of bad soil or do you just want to ensure that your lathe remains stable? :D

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:10 pm

bob turner wrote:Look at the size of that building! Do we see another major O Scale layout about to be created?

I admit that the temptation to build some "great" O-scale layout is there, but my principal interest is in restoration of old models. As such, the primary purpose of the building is to host all the man-toys of my shop: mill, lathes, drill presses, saws, media blasting booth, paint booth, electrical work station, test bench, grinders, sanders, etc. But...having a basic layout for test runs is an important asset. Given this, I have sized the building to be big enough for all the gear with enough room leftover to setup the existing portable layout (when not otherwise off at a train show). This layout is not "great" but is better than just a loop of track, so I will also have the more general pleasure of running trains for the fun of it, which I am admittedly looking forward to. We'll see if I can resist the temptation to go beyond that. If I break down, it will be to add a loop of track with overhead catenary.

Chris Webster wrote:Are the piers necessary because of bad soil or do you just want to ensure that your lathe remains stable? :D

Good question, Chris. This part of North Texas is famous for its "gumbo" black soil. It has a lot of clay, which causes all sorts of problems with expansion during wet spells and contraction during the droughts (the cracks get big enough to swallow golf balls whole on the local courses). Pier and beam construction tends to be more stable, and, when it does shift, the floors can be readily leveled without mud jacking, which is an imprecise art at best. I look at it as a pay-me-know, pay-me-later choice. Most builders choose "pay me later" and build with slabs. I half-justified the choice with the notion that a suspended wood floor is at least a bit forgiving when a model commits suicide by flinging itself off the layout. Concrete, by contrast, is not forgiving at all.

By the way, here is a photo from today. They came and stripped off the forms yesterday afternoon, which was not expected.

Slow progress is better than no progress

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 am

Shoot Jim, I coulda sent some of those u-joints too.

Jay

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:56 am

I don't know if I already posted this silliness but here's a link to my Photobucket album with some photos of the Center cab project. Will this work? I dunno. Sometimes yes, other times, no.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/jaycriswe ... c25f450ef1

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Works great - thanks!

Lots and lots of pretty nice work in there, too!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:37 pm

RFT,

Thanks! Does beg the question though, how much more could I get done if I wasn't posting photos on forums, and such?

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:40 pm

That is what my U50 needs! Very nice!

I couldn’t open the first link, but the second seems to show a production line - and the sideframes look better than the original CLW.

I have one mis-matched Baldwin truck - I guess now is the time to fix that!

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:57 pm

Bob,

I'm no expert, hell I'm not even a novice, when it comes to which trucks are correct for a particular loco. Lou is have new castings made. He tells me the assembly of these trucks is really a bitch. I heard that and made sure not to volunteer to assist. Might be crazy but, I'm not stupid. Hmmmm, might be the other way around.

Having said that I do have a set of MG 3 axle trucks for one of the FM that I thought one of you guys could use. Obviously, not as nice as the Overlands.

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:RFT,

Thanks! Does beg the question though, how much more could I get done if I wasn't posting photos on forums, and such?

Well, your taking photos does tend to create a nice record of stuff done so your time behind the camera is well spent. I take lots of photos of everything I build as I build it. Documentation if I ever revisit it; articles, sharing on wherever.

Sharing your Photobucket folder is just good socialization combined with a healthy bit of passive advertising. I also find that taking a break away from my shop, off-loading the camera, processing files, etc. regularly actually improves productivity in the shop. Looking over the photos helps me to decide what's wrong or what needs doing next...

Ok, maybe generates more work......so, would that be bad? Maybe sitting on the deck listening to the wrens while reading another book is something to be measured.

Looking forward to seeing one of these center cabs delivered.....to someone I can visit with camera in hand.

He tells me the assembly of these trucks is really a bitch. I heard that and made sure not to volunteer to assist. Might be crazy but, I'm not stupid.

Wisdom. :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:42 pm

Yes - I have assembled 1 3/4 sets of these. One of the parts packages had two right hand castings for one of the trucks, so I cut and re-soldered, knowing that there was no chance of ever seeing more being cast.

They are exquisite, complicated, maybe even a bit undersize - but other than robbing an import, where are you going to get such things?

On the fabricated Erie-Built trucks, consider Maroon first, then me second. My truck collection borders on the absurd. We are going to make a pseudo A unit - possibly better looking than the Fernando castings, but way inaccurate - to match Maroon's capture of a couple years ago. The sand-cast trucks would be a better fit.

Looking at the U50 power unit - I am going to block out a drawing and see if Jay's components would be a better fit than the early CLW. It is now clear that the motor must be fixed with respect to the body, and the drop-down must be on the second or third axle of each span-bolstered truck set. If I put it on the second axle of the front set and third axle of the rear, then maybe I can squeeze two motors in there.

Of course, for a guy who basically never just runs trains, power of any kind is an academic exercise.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:46 pm

And that SE-4 is exquisite. Did you finish it? I don't think I have seen you since 2016.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:59 pm

Bob,

No, shoot, I haven't been able to get back to it. I was actually going to make a second one too. Have the boiler, tender, rods, and bar stock for the frame. Just can't seem to get back on it.

Working on drivers for some CP Huntingtons right now.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/jaycriswe ... 8bbae05ec8

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:
Working on drivers for some CP Huntingtons right now.

Cool! Doing the rest of it - put out a kit for it????????

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:15 pm

RFT,

Cool! Doing the rest of it - put out a kit for it????????

These things have been sitting here so long I'm not sure what the original plan was...or if there was one.

Kits can be a real PIA. Goes from The $64,000 Question to 64,000 questions. In the end, it's almost easier just to build them.

We'll see.

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”