Machine Shop / Locomotive Drive Work

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
WindyPines-1810

Re: Machine Shop / Locomotive Drive Work

Postby WindyPines-1810 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:31 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:FINALLY -- at last, I have the 4-4-2 operable. The new motor bracket worked out very well, but I couldn't find a sweet spot on the amount engagement of the ball and socket that was both smooth and reliable (it was one or the other). I reviewed Bob's notes on setup and came up with a slightly different approach, which was to leave the universal joint in place and replace the ball-and-socket with a section of rubber tubing. I can report that the reputation of Toyota vacuum hose is intact -- it was just what was needed. Here is a photo from the first test run of this setup:

A short video of the locomotive in action can be seen here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gz0on5rr83r15xi/Test%20Run.mp4?raw=1

...As to the 4-4-2, the only thing left to do now is to replace the couplers that were broken in shipping and do a little touch-up. I will post a video of the locomotive in revenue service when ready.

Jim

Certainly is a nice looking little engine; I'd forgotten what terrific craftsmen hang out here... :)

Mark

R.K. Maroon

Re: Machine Shop / Locomotive Drive Work

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:49 pm

I opened this thread to add a post and saw that I had not responded to Mark's comment about the 4-4-2. One of the niches I occupy in this hobby is the acquisition of nice craftsman models that need some amount of work. The restoration takes patience but really only a fraction of the talent of the original builder. When completed, I get to share in a bit of the credit and add a really nice model to the operating roster at the same time. I didn't plan for things to go that way, but it's not a bad place to be.

So here is a follow up to the last project, which was the restoration of an AB set of Max Gray FM Erie-Builts. I hand-delivered the units to my brother Pete in Atlanta, who will do the finish work. Here is a link to a short video of a test run on his layout:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4o1s1yna4f06r5/Max%20Gray%20Erie%20Builts.mp4?raw=1

Let me know if anybody has problems viewing the file.
Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”