Paint Shop

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Paint Shop

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:30 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Actually no, it is a big bottle of Tru-color thinner, which turns out to be acetone. Grin!

Its a recent offering, a good model from the frame up. Just tarted it up a bit after conversion...
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Whether a model of anything specific or not, sure looks sharp, Sarge. Love the subtle weathered look of PC green.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:39 am

Awesome work, Sarge!!! Thank you for sharing!!
Running that red block Charlie.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Down to the last car on my Sunbeam project, I hit a lull waiting on some more parts and took the time for a little catch up with Sarge, who’s excellent PC and NYC modeling has inspired me back to my queue for this “Gold Edition” Weaver U25B I bought from Dan Mason.

Unlike some of their “Ultra-line” models this made in China unit was a great runner right of the box and had a very nice late era PRR all-keystone scheme (albeit black and not Brunswick) with the large dulux yellow road numbers on the cab. I was tempted to leave it that way but since the color didn’t match my other PRR hood units and the road numbers were oddly oversized I cleaned off (using Scalecoat “Wash Away”) all of the factory screened heralds and numbering save for the number boards adjoining the headlights, which are a pain to change. Luckily the road number was accurate for an ex-PRR PC U25B so that worked out well. The U25B’s were one the models that all three PC predecessor roads had, since both NYC and PRR’s were numbered in the 2500 series (reflecting the series HP) the PRR and NH units were renumbered from 25xx to 26xx otherwise retaining the rest of their original number.
Minor modifications included a kill switch for the headlight, some windshield wipers, cab signal box and a blade antenna. Decals were a mix of Champ, Walthers and MicroScale. Ironically like my model, the prototype U25’s were still new enough at the time of the merger to not require re-painting, and many simply had their scotch-lite heralds peeled off and had small worm heralds applied to the nose only, which was tempting but too austere, so I went with this variation where-in the full road name and large PC is applied to the side but the dulux road number was retained. Many wound up devoid of their road names and heralds anyway, flaking off due to insufficient application prep and the excessively corrosive wash compound the PC used for a while. Likewise being too broke to re-paint was a "factor" at times. Remaining units in my PC queue include an RS11, RS12, U25C, FA and an SD45. I scored a bunch of Lykens Valley auto-parts cars at the Chicago meet in March, I will clean them up and post them to that thread after I finish the Sunbeam.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:02 am

Where did you get the cab signal box? I need some of those.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Des Planes Hobbies for the Cab Signal Box and the blade antenna, P&D for the wipers.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:23 pm

Looks great -- the PC fleet continues to grow. The dulux numbers on this one do give it an oddball look. A multi-prong attack on the purist's sensibilities for sure.

I had not heard of Wash Away. How does it compare to brake fluid, Pinesol, or other plastic-friendly solutions?

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 pm

"Wash Away" has been my big discovery(courtesy of Dan Mansfield) over the last year with regard to cleaning off factory applied silk screens etc. on Weaver and Atlas shells without dorking up the base coat. I hope I can fine some more of it and/or that it was picked up by the successor to Scalecoat.

It is a much slower solvent than thinners, or acetones, yet much faster then mineral oils like brake fluid etc. You basically apply it to the localized area around the silkscreen (be it a road#, herald, applied stripe(s) etc, let it sit for about a minute and then start working the area with a soft (used) tooth brush or fine fiber art brush, attacking the applique's edges with the bristle ends, and within about a minute it starts disintegrating. It you leave it on too long it will attack the base coat so you do have pay attention. Once the brush process yields fragments, you get real busy and you can often remove the entire applique while leaving the base coat intact in short order. Wipe clean, let it dry and then wet sand the area with OOO emery cloth to get rid of the screen image's "ghost" and voila'

I wish I had used this on that L&N FA project, I did use it on the GS RS-11 as well as this U-Boat and was delighted with the results on both.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:39 am

Now that the holidays are in the rear view, I've been trying to finish some older projects . My L&N Georgian train was missing a coach so rather than do another ICC NYC PS coach in the blue, I decided to "dare to be different" and kit bash one of the L&N's modernized HW's 2570-82 series cars out of yet another Walthers 9175 P70FAR that washed ashore on da'Bay for dirt cheap, albeit decently built and finished in a totally fictional EL grey and maroon that tanked off nicely in Pine-Sol.

Unlike the previous Sunbeam project, I didn't go nuts with the under-body or the interior in the interest of expediency. Between two trips to the Chicago show, and brother Jim's salvage efforts I finally had the right cast side-frame trucks (don't laugh, it's a real milestone :oops: ) for an otherwise random project handy.
Carbody sides have been altered to match the prototype, decals are Champs with MS striping, paint/primer are air brush blown Scalecoat and Rustoleum/Ace rattle-cans, the original flat PRR style roof discarded in favor of an AN clerestory remnant with the L&N's distinctive roof AC installation scratched from basswood, track spikes and evergreen styrene.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:28 pm

I rode in a Pullman painted like that in 1950. There was still steam in the New Orleans Depot at the time. I have two, L&N on one side; B&O on the other. Not sure why this one sits high on the right truck, but it is the only photo I could find. Decals by Wilhite.

OOps - board is still full. Sorry.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:01 pm

As many of us (social distancing, shelter in place etc.) have discovered a large pile of “round-2-its” in their shop, basement, t-hanger, bonus room etc. likewise I surveyed my salvage pile and yielded to my desire to eventually deploy my L&N train on the downtown RMCA club, and expand my NY&LB commuter train, thus prompting me to the following projects.
MU’d my two L&N E8’s run fine but have so much lighting “stuff” etc. (electronics not my strong-suit) that they blow my throttle’s breaker on track-world when pulling any real load beyond themselves. The cheap truck sets on the Walthers cars don’t help either, but I decided to build out yet another ROK Weaver E8 using a reduced harness load via a battery powered Mars light. Here’s the result.
In real life 1102 was originally an E7 that met grief along with its mu’d FP-7 upon colliding with a GP7 in Danville Il in 1958. Both cab units were rebuilt by EMD with 1102 receiving the latest E9 “package” which EMD promoted in an attempt to encourage more rebuild business for all of the older E-unit fleets extant. The publicity photos in the advert prominently featured the unit’s new nickname “Eliza Doolittle” in reference to its Pygmalion-like transformation….whew.
My efforts, while not as laborious as Henry Higgin’s had its challenges as I discovered my unit had an intractable truck short (you get what you pay for on da’bay) fortunately I had a spare unit to rob. The Keil Line Mars light is powered by a pair of AA’s and works well albeit has a service life of 4 hours between charges. The unit itself came with a nice aftermarket constant headlight board that is VERY bright. Paint is Scalecoat Royal Blue, decals by Micro-Scale, P&D for the “gingerbread.” Runs great but still need to reduce the companion E-units track power draw.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:46 pm

Very nice.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Pete, Looks fantastic! The dark blue didn't "pop" until I looked at the close up image. Far off shot looks dark gray!

Rich

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”