Paint Shop

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148

Re: Paint Shop

Postby up148 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Well, I was lucky and found a mint ALCO Models NE-5 caboose for $100 and should receive it some time next week. I haven't been able to find any diagrams or blueprints online for the CGW version of this caboose, but hoping I will. But, it appears to be pretty correct from my limited knowledge. Any comments on correctness Pete/Brian?

I also got lucky and found a long time CGW modeler (P-48) who says he has all of the CGW decals ever offered and promises to go through his stash and get back with me. So, this is turning out to be a much more successful chase than I assumed. I have to admit, I've always enjoyed the chase as much or more than the buy.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:43 pm

Congrats Butch
That looks like it will do nicely!
Thought about which scheme to do it in? suppose that depends on which decals you wind up with.
I'm partial to the one(s) in the early passenger scheme with the stripe(s) but either scheme looks great with
those black roofs.
Nice model, and per Sarge's observation- battens instead instead of rivets!
Excellent.
Last edited by De Bruin on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:37 pm

I hoping to acquire some decals with the lower stripe only, but whatever I get is okay. I reread his email and he bought out all of Komars CGW decals, so I should have a pretty good selection.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:27 pm

Butch, either one or two stripe variations on the early post war passenger and cab unit scheme should be fairly easy to do (outside of those red stripe(s) and the yellow pinstripes bordering them) on your NE caboose, I look forward to seeing it, again great looking model.

Next up, as illustrated last month on the "what's on your bench" string, had this KTM GP-35 getting the Reading second generation scheme, a mate for the previous C630 and a yet to-be-painted SD-45.

The “sausage in-process” following the base prime and yellow, the frame got the yellow just as the car body to insure the pending green coat would have the same tint. The activity around this mask is pretty “up there,” as in make damn sure cause you don’t want to start over and too much touch-up and it goes to hell.

Again decal sets are MicroScale; one for the heralds, road names and numbers etc. another for the end pilot stripes and a third set for the number boards.

The car body contours on the EMD hood made this more difficult to mask than the previous Alco Century’s.

The biggest effort with this scheme after the main car-body mask (for me at least) is the tedium around the pilot stripes. Each end comes as single piece and has to be cut up to fit around the many stanchions, lumps and bumps on the pilot plate for the cut-off levers, handrail(s) MU valve cluster etc.

ImageThe (I assume stock) KTM drive in this is impressive, having one single machined brass u-joint on the motor end of the main shaft and a delrin u-joint at the tower. A little loud but sturdy and good puller with smooth low starting speed and a decently brisk track speed. Next up, the SD-45 though I'll take a break and do some salvage freight cars for Ebay and maybe a locomotive for my in process NdeM freight train.
Last edited by De Bruin on Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:50 pm

Wow -- that "Bee-Line" scheme (or whatever it is called) really pops. Fine work, Pete. I can't decide which would require more patience: the masking or the decals.

One question: What are you using for masking? I expected to see blue painters tape, but I see none.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

sarge

Postby sarge » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:55 pm

Well done, Pete.

I really like that scheme, and a GP35-SD45 pairing was a common one on Reading; they had a habit of pairing a six-motor and a four motor of same manufacture, GP35/SD45, C-424/C-630 a couple common ones I remember.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

86TA355SR

Postby 86TA355SR » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:02 pm

That’s beautiful, really impressive work on a complicated paint scheme. Getting the stripes parallel and straight is an amazing task you accomplished. Awesome.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:16 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:One question: What are you using for masking?
Second question: what did you use to make the rain gutters - brass strips, or something else?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:20 pm

Really nice! I used to see units painted that way when I lived near Eddystone. My crash pad was right off the end of the PHL runway, and a hundred feet from the Reading tracks.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:02 am

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your encouragement and comments.
I moved on from that blue 3M tape aka ”Clean Release” as it tended to pull paint and primer off with it, now using the 3M purple version labelled “Delicate Surface” having a less tacky adhesive which saves the paint though it doesn’t stick as well, it’s a trade-off. The best masking tape is by Tamiya but it’s too narrow for this kind of application. I’d say masking is the big brain ache for me as unless you really think it through and take your time you can wind up in a circular sort of strip-reprime-paint level of hell. The end pilots stripe decals are irritating/tedious but not so fraught with peril if you blow it as I only occasionally cook off paint removing a bad decal job.
My patron wisely loaned me his copy of Reading Diesels Vol 2, by Woodland to insure I had enough color reference shots for this yet I still go to George Elwood’s excellent Fallen Flags web-site to get the odd or obscure rear or roof shot details etc. The Withers book though is an excellent source material and indeed speaks to the Reading’s affinity for pairing up a GP-30/35 with one of the six axle units like the SD-45.
These MicroScale sets are very nice and not too thick either, I’m now a big proponent for the newer K4 Supply’s decals but MicroScale’s set certainly makes the pilot striping a less arduous proposition in terms of alignment and end result. I’ve done it the old-fashioned way both with paint/mask and one decal stripe at a time and yes life is too short for that.
I still struggle to not use every detail available for these, so no mu hoses, no headlight lenses, no functioning markers, number boards unlit etc. BUT I’m incapable of skipping the wipers on the front windshield glass (P&D) and matching that signature Reading cab drip strip, in this case sections of evergreen square stock epoxied to the roof sides with JB weld. I might have soldered some brass strip on, put that’s just begging to de-soldier an adjoining seam, so went this path of least resistance.

sarge

Postby sarge » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Oddly, I've also been visiting Reading power, though not the complexities of painting so much. I have this Atlas C-424 that I run with the C-630 in the second photo:

Oddly, the later Atlas china-drive runs well with the OMI six-axle Centuries. The story, though, is a little involved. Atlas did a couple versions of fuel-tanks on these, and touted the models as prototype specific in detail. They balled up the Reading one with one glaring error being the application of the largest fuel-tank, the one that bulged out along its full length. A friend of mine wanted that tank for a different road's C-424 or 425 he was modelling, so offered me the one he had and machined the sides flat in the deal. I had to make new fuel-fills and the vent-pipe, then paint it. Voila, the right tank configuration for the Reading.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:43 pm

Not being critical, would it not have been easy to make one with flat sides?
Solder brass or glue styrene?

Unless the other side is more curved?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

sarge

Postby sarge » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:33 pm

No reason why not.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:22 pm

up148 wrote: I have to admit, I've always enjoyed the chase as much or more than the buy.

The chase seldom has the maiming effect on the wallet that is common with the buy. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:40 pm

De Bruin wrote:The biggest effort with this scheme after the main car-body mask (for me at least) is the tedium around the pilot stripes. Each end comes as single piece and has to be cut up to fit around the many stanchions, lumps and bumps on the pilot plate for the cut-off levers, handrail(s) MU valve cluster etc.

Pete, To paraphrase: That separates the "Painters" from the "Boys"!

Any deviation from the correct angle on any of the stripes sticks out like a sore thumb!

I'd say you are one of the "Painters"!

Rich

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”