Paint Shop

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

Re: Paint Shop

Postby De Bruin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:03 pm

Good stuff Jim, I like that simple chop nose and flush roof better then this later version with the raised hoods,
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc9972mla.jpg
ungainly looking, I understand they weren't as sure footed as the originals due to the difference in engine weights
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:21 pm

De Bruin wrote:Down to the last car on my Sunbeam project, I hit a lull waiting on some more parts and took the time for a little catch up with Sarge, who’s excellent PC and NYC modeling has inspired me back to my queue for this “Gold Edition” Weaver U25B I bought from Dan Mason.

Here's a neat photo of a PC U25B and a PC C630 eastbound through Rotterdam Junction in 1969:
Railpictures #754556

I didn't realize ice reefers were still around then.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 am

Great picture, thanks Chris, note C630 trailing too, the NYC/PC funneled a lot of meat and produce into the NY and Boston markets, often in dedicated "meat products" trains just like the auto-parts schedules. The iced reefers lasted until the early seventies as I recall, after which I guess they became just another insulated box car, and a small one at that.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:18 pm

Most of my shop time in the past year has been spent on refurbishing cars from the club’s donation pile to sell on Ebay and my oddly endless CGW passenger train project. I did recently though get an interesting work order for three Reading Hood units from my friend in Florida, Alan Eslick, who is a big CNJ/RDG/B&O fan-scholar of those road’s rosters.
All three were to get that second generation green and yellow scheme. Since I had no experience in applying it I modified an old IMP NE style caboose to make the roof/cupola removable.
Blew on this as a test with decals which went OK
So on to this first up; an OMI Alco Century C630 which was not my original first choice (other two are older KTM EMD's) as working on OMI's has not been a happy experience for me in the past.
Even by OMI standards this is an extraordinarily well detailed model though it did have some of those notorious soft solder seams which naturally make themselves evident after painting during reassembly.
This has a unique prototype in that the three-axle Hi-Adhesion trucks this version sported (part of the second of two half dozen batches each for this model for Reading) were otherwise only found on the C636 model.
As an aside it's also a surprisingly good runner (for now) though I only tested it with unweighted cars as it has that factory delrin tube/domino tower-to- tank drive which in my experience fails under any real heavy load.

Back to the Eslicks, CNJ is described for them as the family business as his father Dave, was a long time employee and supervising dispatcher for that fallen flag, likewise Alan working for the CNJ prior to a long career in the maritime industry running large ship-board diesel power. The senior Eslick was also notably a top-drawer model builder/machinist especially skilled in building 1:48 steam loco kits.

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:07 am

Nice paint job! If you run across an extra CGW caboose I need one in pretty much any condition...CGW is my secondary road now (picked up an ABA F3 and a GP7 from 3rd Rail) and I didn't know how hard locating a caboose for this road was.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks Butch.
Have you considered an Atlas "eastern" style PS caboose? it's good for CGW's 600-624 series, albeit not even sure they did one in a CGW scheme, I don't see these on Ebay very often but when I do they're usually the New Haven version or some fictitious scheme.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333455558145?h ... SwEwpegPOj
Opinion this current listing is overpriced too.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:43 am

Yes. Nice paint. Those things ran past my apartment when I lived west of the Philadelphia airport.

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:09 pm

Thank You Pete!!!! You just showed me the light at the end of the tunnel. I knew I needed a NE style caboose, but didn't think about searching other roads to find what I needed. I can repaint it or at least I have all the equipment to do it and just need to try. :)

I want an early 50's style CGW caboose and I''ll have to research that to see which "NE" series would be most correct. I have several of the MTH UP CA-1 cabooses and they're winners that can easily be corrected and detailed. No problem doing that with a NE caboose if I can find one less pricey. Totally agree $125 for a plastic caboose that needs to be kit bashed is out of line.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:10 pm

Glad that helps Butch, important distinction to keep in mind though is it's an "Eastern" style caboose, which per below link is the symmetrical two window PS design most often associated with the New Haven and Boston & Maine, though they did show up second hand on a variety of other roads too.
The CGW crews referred to theirs (bought new from PS in 1946) as "Eastern" cabooses though it may have been an industry wide moniker, I don't know. That Atlas version is a good model too, though a very nice brass version was also imported a few decades ago in 1:48 by Alco Models as I recall.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cgw/cgw-c0604swa.jpg

To me the NE or "Northeastern" caboose commonly refers to those classic, often with two pair window sets, Bethlehem steel cars associated with the Anthracite Roads (including Reading) and is in fact what that IMP I modified and painted for my test run is supposed to be in my earlier post. Thanks to Weaver version and it's successors, the NE cabooses are quite common and inexpensive these days.
Pete

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:25 pm

This is going to be an interesting search. The only really close models are either N or HO and nothing I've found so far in O is even close (no surprise coming from Lionel, MTH, K-Line and others).......but, I didn't spend much time look either.

The caboose in your link is a NE-5 and this caboose was used by B&M and NH too. Very unique rolled roof on the cupola and main caboose and this is where many offerings fail as well as side window count and using rivets instead of battens (I think) to secure the sides.

But, what really caught my eye in a prototype searches was the really neat transfer cabooses the CG&W used........way cooler than just a caboose. I might have to just scratch build or find a kit that is modifiable and build it myself.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:16 pm

I've always been a fan of those PS all steel cabooses, actually as much for the B&M's as the NH versions.
The CGW's transfer cabooses are very interesting indeed, in that strip wood "House on a Raft" vein, a prototype looking for a modeler as it were..
They had some all steel bay windows too that would not be difficult or too big of a stretch to render out of Atlas's (SP) version . Please share your progress on this, your UP modeling is epic but many like me have a weak spot for that Chicago Great Weedy and am sure you'll do it justice .

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:35 pm

your UP modeling is epic

Very kind, but with the talent on this forum I'm a babe in the woods and still learning, an armchair modeler for far too long. But, I'm feeling the old fever ramp up for the CG&W, like I haven't felt about the UP for some time...........feels good. :)

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:36 pm

There are a couple of these - under $50, free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334081327583?h ... SwpCJg6Jxk

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:26 am

Hi, Bob. Wrong car I fear. You’ve been had by the “modeller’s nomenclature” (things like Napoleon hat truck, whirly wheel, &c) of that style car as a “Northeastern Caboose”. What Butch is after is a completely different car, a PS design out of the old Osgood Bradley plant in Worcester Mass.

Pete and Butch, not to put too fine a point on it, but if I remember right the CGW cars had the earlier batten sides, not the riveted ones of the Atlas car.

Butch, if you want those sides (and roof panel count), you are in the brass world, specifically the Alco models NH NE-5 rather than the Atlas NE-6. They’re not that hard to find. My memory is really sketchy here, but OMI might also have done the NE-5.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:20 am

Thanks Sarge for the heads up on the Alco Models Mfg and I agree on your other points. All the plastic models I've found took a lot of liberties in many areas, most noticeable, the riveted v/s batten sides and that is a "major" point for me. Can't help it if I'm a rivet counter, its a disease, but makes the hobby more enjoyable for me. :D

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”